Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

I'd have to see some samples showing where f/1.4 versus 1.8 actually made a noticeable positive difference in the shot regarding DoF before I'll believe it. My thinking is that would have to be a rare and demanding subject for a wide or normal prime. With so many other factors contributing the the appearance of DoF, including how harsh the focus falloff is, how large the image will be printed, and what the standard viewing distance will be, a half a stop on the aperture is nothing.

As for the 20, it makes sense to me. Sony appears to be very responsive to customer whining when it comes to the NEX system, and the most whining I hear (aside from "My RF wides don't play well with the sensor") is that there aren't enough wides and people want small lenses.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

Lee Saxon wrote:
Hope it's drastically better than the 16...

mawz wrote:
The only real problem with the 16 is poor QC at the factory, there's a number of bad copies floating around.

Guess I had one of those :/

I found it only acceptably sharp at the center and poor everywhere else. I also thought distortion (which is not subject to sample variation) was horrible.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

Lee Saxon wrote:
Guess I had one of those :/

I found it only acceptably sharp at the center and poor everywhere else. I also thought distortion (which is not subject to sample variation) was horrible.

i find it to acceptably sharp except in the extreme corners, it has a funny look to it in the corners besides softness that bothers me though.

example shot:

clicking on it should take you 2048 pixel version of it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

Yep, my copy was pretty much like Sebboh's. I think it is an underrated lens, considering the size and price, despite it not being perfect.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

If you're just getting into the NEX, you can buy a new 6 and get the 16mm for free at B&H through 2/2. Hard to beat that price.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

douglasf13 wrote:
Yep, my copy was pretty much like Sebboh's. I think it is an underrated lens, considering the size and price, despite it not being perfect.

Ditto the friends copy that I test drove.

You do have to watch the extreme corners though, they get funky even when the rest of the frame is acceptably sharp.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

mawz wrote:
Ditto the friends copy that I test drove.

You do have to watch the extreme corners though, they get funky even when the rest of the frame is acceptably sharp.

Yeah, the extreme corners do drop off a cliff.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

douglasf13 wrote:
... I agree, but it's a matter of weighing size vs. DOF control. For me, f2 would probably be the sweetspot for size vs. DOF control with aps-c mirrorless, considering how relatively large the f1.4 and f1.8 offerings are from Fuji and Sony. The Fuji 35 f1.4 is considerably larger than a 50 Summicron-M, and it still doesn't quite have the shallow DOF of a 50 Summicron on an M9.

Agreed. I love the Canon 40 2.8 on FF, but f/2.8 doesn't provide quite the DOF control that I would want on APS-C, f/2 would have been perfect.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

The sigma 30/2.8 is not significantly smaller than the Sony 35/1.8.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:41 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

Well supposedly Sony will be releasing a FF NEX late 2013/early 2014 and zeiss will be making af primes for it so perhaps that will satisfy more people around here ..... though I suspect the complaining will then be about the prices :P

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:49 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Sony E-mount 20mm f/2.8 pancake announced

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
The sigma 30/2.8 is not significantly smaller than the Sony 35/1.8.

Sure, but the Samsung 30/2 is significantly smaller than both, even if you add the extra 7mm for the difference in the mount registrations.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:21 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password