Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

dr4tone
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Traveling to Kauai for a personal photography adventure. I am an enthusiast. I have a 1D4 and 5D3. I can only take one body. Any suggestions/thoughts which body should go with? I enjoy macro photography, birds, flowers, and BIF shots. This will be my first concentrated effort on landscapes. For that purpose I suppose the 5D3 would be best. I've never been to Hawaii, Kauai in particular. I have no idea whether there are good opportunities for birdlife, which would be more of a 1D4 thing. So, I suppose my question is directed to any who've been to Kauai, and can give me an idea whether action (BIF, surfers, wave action) or flowers landscapes were most compelling for you. I know I may have a totally different experience - just looking for info.

I cannot lay claim to any particular expertise, though I am persistently working on my chops, and improving over time. Plan to take canon 400mm, 100mm f/2.8, and 24-105mm. Do not have a wide angle lens, unfortunately.
Thanks much!
Leesa

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM
lowellmtyler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Let me start by saying that I've only been to Kauai once, and it was before my interest in photography. So, I've heard/read that there are some decent landscape ops there (eg. Na Pali coast, beaches). Definitely go check out the different beaches and tide pools. Obvious ops here are landscapes, macros, and shorebirds.

As for birds, there are a lot of feral chickens around. Did I say a lot?! =D

Some Internet resources suggest that there are places/trails with some native birds such as the Hawaiian Honeycreeper (I`iwi). Definitely checkout Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge. Depending on your timing, you may spot various migratory shorebirds, waterfowl, Hawaiian Goose (Nene), Hawaiian Short-eared Owl (Pueo), etc. There should be some feral pigs about, too.

I agree that the 5D3 would probably be the most versatile body for you on this particular trip. Those three lenses should cover a lot. While a 16-35 would be really nice, don't discount the 24-105. You could always shoot/stitch a panorama.

I definitely need to take the family one day myself. For me, it's all about the hiking, birds, flowers, plants, and ocean.

Have a great time, and best of luck finding those hot spots.

L

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:08 PM
dr4tone
• •
p.1 #3 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful. I will look for the spots you mention!
Best,
Leesa

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:01 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #4 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

I've been there and the ideal would be the 5dIII and a 17-40 and a 100-400 so that thought aside the 5d and 24-105 and i'd rent a 100-400, that will cover you for the rest and you wont have to haul the 100 and the 400. That way you'll have room for a flash and lots of cf cards.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
dr4tone
• •
p.1 #5 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Check! Capt Don. Great advice.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dr4tone
• •
p.1 #6 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Capt Don, do you recommend a place to rent equipment?

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #7 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

I've got no idea but a friend rents from a place in Chicago and has had good results with them. I can't get a hold of him, he's traveling but i'm sure someone on the site can recommend a good company if you post an ad for a rental company. Have a nice trip.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

For birding on Kawai visit:

http://www.fws.gov/kilaueapoint/lighthouse.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d104181-Reviews-Kilauea_Lighthouse-Kauai_Hawaii.html

Have a wonderful trip Leesa!

Morris

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:15 AM
dr4tone
• •
p.1 #9 · Which camera body for a trip to Hawaii?

Thanks Morris!

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password