Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Paul Mo wrote:
12MP (Low Noise Sensor), 12FPS, US$2500.

Although if you look at current cameras and how high ISO behaves (and various papers on sensors) making it 12MP instead of say 20MP will very likely have a vanishingly small impact on improving high ISO while noticeably reducing reach for wildlife/sports (which the 7 series appears to have been designed for) so I don't see the point. All you did is take away reach to gain like maybe 1/4th, with luck, of a stop at high ISO or something? It wouldn't match a FF for non-reach limited high ISO and it wouldn't have nearly as much extra reach so all it would then have in spades over a 5D3 is the 12fps.
(although some sports guys do hate dealing with large file sizes and maybe are fine with 12MP and a 400 2.8 instead of a 300 2.8 and such, I guess, but even they have adapted to 18MP from 1DX at this point in time)

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 07:11 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:02 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Apparently Canon Australia are claiming 60D is discontinued. We might get 70D announcement soon.

It would seem hard to announce the 70D without a 7D2 as well though, since what worthwhile does the 70D become without putting the current 7D out of business or near so? (unless the 70D does have some new process uber sensor).

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Any apparent 70D would also likely conflict with the T4i/650D.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Apparently Canon Australia are claiming 60D is discontinued. We might get 70D announcement soon.

Do you have any reference or link? That's kinda a big news, really.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Same fps
Same 1.6x
Same 17mpx
Better ISO performance by 2 stops
Same focus as 5diii
Dual CF slots - hate those SD's
Leave the buttons where they are - I hate the magnification button on my 5diii - hard to find in the dark
GPS ability
No flip screen - its a wildlife/action camera

And it would conquere the earth (or Nikon anyway).

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:46 PM
howard
• •
p.4 #6 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Where did you get this? The Canon AU site still lists it just fine:
http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/60D

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:10 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.4 #7 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

I have only 1 request.
Less noise at high ISO and the ability to use higher ISO, 25600 or 51200 would be fine with me.
I have no issues with the AF performance.
If they can achieve this and keep it under $2 - 2.5K I would definitely be interested.
Now don't get me wrong it would be nice to see an APS-H with 10 fps and 5DIII/1DX focusing but can all that be stuffed into the same body size? and without breaking the bank?

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:07 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Gochugogi wrote:
Actually I am too!

So am I. I wouldn't mind an AF system similar to the one in the 5DIII but the current system performs quite nicely for me. Plus, after the additions the firmware update brought, the camera offers so much more than it originally did. Perhaps the main thing I'd like to see is fewer "Which is better, 7DII or 5DIII?" threads...that's just dreaming though.

Andy

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:28 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

racoll wrote:
So am I. I wouldn't mind an AF system similar to the one in the 5DIII but the current system performs quite nicely for me.

Andy

+1

After over a decade of reading posts on internet forums, I've come to the conclusion that those posts often tend to make differences in camera capabilities, whether they relate to AF, noise, or any number of other factors, seem to be much larger in magnitude than they really are. My guess is that this is because, when people spend lots of dollars to buy new equipment, they feel a need to convince the world that the new equipment blows away any other (older) equipment.

I've used both a 7D and a 1D Mark IV together for well over 3 years. While I have no question that the AF system on my 1D Mark IV is better than the one on my 7D, in real world practical application, the differences in my in-focus rates for the two cameras is very small. I've used both cameras to shoot subjects like birds flying toward me with very busy backgrounds, which should be one of the more challenging AF situations, and I use either camera with a similar high level of confidence that it is going to get me the shot.

I also find it interesting that, in 2009, when Canon released the 7D, the forums were filled with posts from those who were thrilled because Canon had finally put a very capable AF system in a non-1 series body. Now, 3 years later, posts would make you think that the 7D AF system is not at all capable, which certainly is not consistent with the real world results that many are getting from the camera every day in situations that provide difficult challenges for an AF system.

While I have no question that the 7D AF system could be improved, its AF is better than anything I could have dreamed of having a decade ago (especially at its price point), and, if I never end up being able to use a camera with a better AF system than the one on the 7D, I'll be just fine

Les

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

7D AF is very good, but after using it and my 5D mkIII this past year, the mkIII blows it away.

What I want from a new 7D, a Nikon/Sony sensor in it!! Then we will be back on even ground when it comes to noise.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wahoowa
• • •
p.4 #11 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Tim Adams wrote:
7D AF is very good, but after using it and my 5D mkIII this past year, the mkIII blows it away.

What I want from a new 7D, a Nikon/Sony sensor in it!! Then we will be back on even ground when it comes to noise.

I agree with you on the first remark. Not that I didn't like my 7D, but there is still rooms to improve.

Now, regarding noise for Canon sensor, is it really that bad? I have a 6D and I think it's very very good. I've never used Nikon or Sony, but from some review website, that of 6D is better:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

That said, I sure hope the new 7D Mark II will have the new sensor that has its performance closer to that of 6D.

Now, if it's about DR, that's sure another story.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:18 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.4 #12 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

What I'd like;

Improved high ISO and noise control
Improved focus
10 fps

What I'd want kept;

on-board flash
weather sealing (more is better, but I've got no complaints now)

What makes no difference/dislikes

dual card slots, as long as at least one is CF, I don't care.
GPS, big yawn here
Wifi, again, big yawn as long as I can turn it off and thus not use battery power

What makes no difference/fine with me

I don't really need increased resolution. If Canon gives us that, and still delivers high ISO/noice reduction, cool

1.6X crop. As long as it works with the lenses I have, they can fiddle anywhere between 1.6 and FF for all I care.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Harry.C
• •
p.4 #13 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

I want a 1DX with a 1.6 crop sensor.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:49 PM
alhajri

p.4 #14 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

I'm a big fan of the Canon 7D and my wish list would be:

1) Being able to see the real RAW image in the LCD screen instead of a JPEGed thumbnail
2) Better Low light handling
3) GPS and Wifi without a dongle or a bulky attachment
4) Silent Shutter speed (I was self conscious a few days ago, taking pics during an Opera "Rigoletto" near the audience)
5) A cover for the Hot Shoe for looks and to prevent dust accumulation
6) Faster FPS. The current 8FPS is good but 10 or more would be nice

Kal

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Scott Stoness wrote:
Same fps
Same 1.6x
Same 17mpx
Better ISO performance by 2 stops
Same focus as 5diii
Dual CF slots - hate those SD's
Leave the buttons where they are - I hate the magnification button on my 5diii - hard to find in the dark
GPS ability
No flip screen - its a wildlife/action camera

And it would conquere the earth (or Nikon anyway).

2 stops better ISO just won't happen though, if you are talking about say middle tone SNR, it's too good already for that to be possible

2 stops better DR across all ISOs or even more would be theoretically possible though

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.4 #16 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

The 7D was what, $1700 when it first came out? I can see maybe the price going to maybe $1999 - $2199 or something, but someone stated $3500. Really, a $2000 increase over the first version? I can see some people don't like the "weight" of the 1 series, but shelling out $2000 for a savings in maybe a lb of weight is a bit crazy..

Now if it had a full frame sensor and 12+fps, weather sealed, and you could select your crop factor, I could see $3999 or so...

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:46 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

uz2work wrote:
+1

After over a decade of reading posts on internet forums, I've come to the conclusion that those posts often tend to make differences in camera capabilities, whether they relate to AF, noise, or any number of other factors, seem to be much larger in magnitude than they really are. My guess is that this is because, when people spend lots of dollars to buy new equipment, they feel a need to convince the world that the new equipment blows away any other (older) equipment.

I've used both a 7D and a 1D Mark IV together for well over 3 years.
...Show more

It depends though. For surfing I have a hard time finding my 5D3 to focus any better than the 7D I had at all. It really seemed like a tie (although they were shot at different events so it's hard to say, the event didn't seem to have easier lighting for the 7D though, although who knows what lighting any particular body likes). But for some field sports like soccer I find the 5D3 MUCH better (even my 5D2 did a bit better as often as not actually than my 7D for that, depending) often enough. My 5D3 always did at least as well as the 7D for soccer, usually decently better and sometimes, not all that rarely, radically better.

And even for one shot, my 24 1.4 II often had a much better hit rate with my 5D3 and even my 5D2 did better. And with 5D3+24-70 II I've had, literally, 100 shots in a row in focus, under indoor lighting, at f/2.8, in focus. Swap my 7D in there and never even wildly remotely close to 100 in a row in focus, not remotely, remotely close.

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

howard wrote:
Where did you get this? The Canon AU site still lists it just fine:
http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/60D

I got this information second hand. Someone on another forum claims Canon Australia advised him it's been discontinued. I don't know in what context he was talking to them and it's probably BS. It would still show up on website if they plenty of stock left though.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

1. Better noise control
2. Better DR
3. Better AF

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.4 #20 · Your top-3 wish list for 7D Mark II

Slightly better ISO, slightly more pixels, same focus, gps and wi-fi $2,299.00

Opp's that's what we will get not what I want.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password