FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

Mike K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

Source of information
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50708197

To meet the import restrictions of certain counties, Canon makes versions of the 6D without WiFi and/or GPS. If you purchase a grey market 6D it is possible that an unscrupulous retailer may try to sell you one of these models at a discount without disclosure of the feature loss: 6D (W) is without wifi and 6D (WG) without wifi or GPS. These import models will not come with a USA warranty, so this is always another tip off to a grey market product. For a US authorized Canon dealer there should be no concern for this issue as all 6D should come with both WiFi and GPS.

Since WiFi and GPS will likely be a hot product feature in the near future, this confusion will become ever more common.
Mike K

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

I know people in the UK who have received grey market 6d(WG)'s but have returned then for the standard ones.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:41 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

W is without....WG is with Wifi and GPS.

/r
Andy

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

If it were a couple benjamins less, I don't think I'd miss Wi-Fi or GPS. Wish we had a choice.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

How much less will they cost? I can't figure out why I would want either 'feature'.

Where do I find one?

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:44 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

As much as I enjoy both features, I would consider a cheaper option, depending on the cost differential.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:54 PM
darkhound

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

It's about $300 less. Just google Canon 6D and check out the prices that google reports. The import version also comes with a much crappier battery.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

darkhound wrote:
It's about $300 less. Just google Canon 6D and check out the prices that google reports. The import version also comes with a much crappier battery.

Which version is not imported ?

They sell both versions of the bodies here in the Bangkok shops. (both imported of course) And they have exactly the same battery and charger. Battery Pack LP-E6.
And the WG body is with Wifi and GPS

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

I guess I can kinda understand a dictatorship type of country not wanting a GPS camera, but Wifi? Every laptop, tablet and phone sold these days has Wifi. If you ban Wifi, you are essentially banning the internet, so maybe in North Korea you may not sell a 6D, but anywhere else, a wifi camera I would imagine would be fine.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

timpdx wrote:
I guess I can kinda understand a dictatorship type of country not wanting a GPS camera, but Wifi? Every laptop, tablet and phone sold these days has Wifi. If you ban Wifi, you are essentially banning the internet, so maybe in North Korea you may not sell a 6D, but anywhere else, a wifi camera I would imagine would be fine.

I belive it's more about money and what kind of income and purchase power the normal consumer have. Canon only sell the 6D with GPS & WIFI in Europe/N.America/Australia and similar countries. In countries like here in Asia where a couple of hundred dollars saving is a lot of money, Canon sell both versions. If it where about dictatorship countries they would not sell both versions and let the consumer choose

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:24 AM
darkhound

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

Hmm.. should i get the import version for $1550 or the US version for $1850?

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Import 6D without WiFi or GPS

darkhound wrote:
Hmm.. should i get the import version for $1550 or the US version for $1850?

Both are imported . Maybe you talk about a grey market body or one with warranty from Canon USA.

And the import (grey market) version can be with or without Wifi & GPS also

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.