Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I'm loving mine. I came from a 5Dc, so take that into account reading this below:

-The screen is amazing. SO much better than the 5Dc.
-AF is good, nothing amazingly special. I only use the center point.
-Image quality is fantastic. Love it.
-High ISOs are amazing, more than I could ask for.
-The feel of the camera (size, materials, etc) is great. It is noticably smaller than my 5Dc (although not by much). It feels great in my hand.
-I don't really like how image zooming is setup...I much prefer the two buttons on the 5Dc for zoom in/out.
-Some of the buttons feel a bit squishy. They're fine, but not amazing.
-Silent shutter mode is AMAZING. I leave it on most of the time.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something...but overall, I love it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Daniel Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

What is a 5Dc?

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:39 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

The original 5d.

Its sometimes called a 5d classic or 5dc just so we know what 5d people are talking about.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:42 PM
tarheelmike

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sold my 7D w/grip and picked up the 6D about a month ago. Very happy with the image quality and the high ISO is great. Focusing is very impressive in low light (center point) and it does a decent job tracking subjects. I had a 5DIII loaner from CPS and decided even though the 5DIII was an awesome camera the 6D is perfect for what I need and I saved ~$1,000 at the time. My 1DIII is still my workhorse body but I'm enjoying the 6D for portraits and event type work.

Many people like the smaller body size of the 6D but I plan on buying a battery grip soon. I don't like the balance of the 70-200mm on the 6D without a grip...

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

For those of you who have used the 5D2 and 6D, would you say the 6D is faster when it comes to shutter lag and overall responsiveness? It should be on paper (to some extent), but is it noticeable in real world shooting?

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Daan B wrote:
For those of you who have used the 5D2 and 6D, would you say the 6D is faster when it comes to shutter lag and overall responsiveness? It should be on paper (to some extent), but is it noticeable in real world shooting?

I'm not sure it's noticeable, mind you I haven't had a 5D2 for eight months. Someone who has a 6D and still has a 5D2 could provide the definitive answer.

To my recollection, they feel very similar in responsiveness/lag.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Yes its noticeable.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

The 6D is faster and quieter. If I could magically turn my 5D II into another 6D, I would.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Good to know it is noticeable faster. Thanks

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Oldraven
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

mikegrados wrote:
I'm curious about this...here's the set up that I had: 6D w/ Cactus V5 triggers, speedlites with Cacti (my normal 'studio' set up). What I've found is that when I am connected via remote camera and tap the shutter release on my smartphone, the flashes will not fire. This tells me that my camera's hot shoe is not going hot at shutter release.

If I walk up and manually release on on-camera shutter (still connected via wifi), that the triggers will fire the linked speedlites.

So, unless I'm missing something (I very may well be), remote shutter release will not activate the
...Show more

My hotshoe does activate via remote shutter release. I sometimes have just a transceiver in the camera hotshoe, and other times have a flash mounted in the transceiver hotshoe (with the transceiver in the camera hotshoe) in addition to other remote flashes. In all cases everything fires as it should when the remote shutter release is pressed. Once I make sure that groups & channels are in sync throughout the system it's a glitch free setup.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oldraven
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

One other thought. Early on I once did fail to achieve remote firing. So with the 6D WiFi turned on I hit the "Q" button, and then the WiFi indicator, and discovered that my channel setting was not what it should have been, and "optical remote wireless" (or some such phrase) had become deselected. After correcting those it has all been good.
We're using the same software/firmware and since my setup works we know that combo is okay. If your WifFi settings and sync are in order, I have to wonder about a hardware compatibility issue here...you know, new camera & all. I was concerned about 6D/Yongnuo compatibility and relieved to discover that they work fine together.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 01:10 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sounds really promising. I know Canon did not design the 6D for use on BIF, sports or airshows, but if its faster and more responsive than the 5DII, then it would be fine for me.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sayeret18 wrote:
Sounds really promising. I know Canon did not design the 6D for use on BIF, sports or airshows, but if its faster and more responsive than the 5DII, then it would be fine for me.

Even a Rebel T3i responds faster than a 5d2.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Oldraven
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sayeret18 wrote:

The 6D AF performance has turned out to be a big deal for me, so I'll offer up some detail.

I find that shutter lag is improved to the point where it is a non-factor: on a par, I'd say with the 7D. I've already posted re BIF, but where I'm seeing a big improvement is with AI servo on things like ducks & grebes just swimming around. When their movements are more or less random, & they often are, I've previously had trouble really nailing focus. Not talking about almost on, but dead on. Recently in just such a situation I was delighted to discover that the 6D performed better than any camera I've ever owned, including several 1-series bodies. For slowly but erratically moving subjects the 6D is dynamite! Focus acquisition is not all that fast, at least with a 100-400, but accuracy is just outstanding, shot after shot. Note: using center AF point only.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:34 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Thanks for the helpful responses.
Minor quibbles aside, it's almost as if Canon made this one just for me

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

No! Canon made it just for me!

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:27 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Mein!

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:42 PM
e.aland
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

the 6d should be called "6d raptor", so sharp is appearing it's sensor output ... i continue to love using this camera especially with fast primes, even with the 200 f2.8. this 6d and its low light capability plus its central AF plus the silent shutter makes it easy and more discrete to shoot people indoors. but not only. its a perfect walkaround camera. no need for anything mirrorless anymore.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Yeah, the low weight, great AF, and great output make this a wonderful walkaround camera.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
a123
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Is anyone using the 6D for weddings?

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:01 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password