Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Is this color noise?

JFreeman

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this color noise?

Hey guys
I was hoping someone could help me out with this. On the back of her jersey, is this color noise? Or what is this considered? What causes it and how do you get rid of it? Thanks for your help.

Canon EOS 7D    170mm    f/2.8    1/400s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:45 PM
stempsons
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this color noise?

hard to tell, looks like jpeg artifacts around the arrow

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:04 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this color noise?

Yes sorry it is hard to tell but you can see it on the right hand side of the jersey too. It a "pixely" light to dark color change.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this color noise?

It could be a lot of different things. Are you shooting 16 bit RAW editing and then converting to 8bit jpg? I have seen in yellows before a bad transition from shades of yellow due to the edit being done in 16 bit then converted and printed. 16 bit Adobe RGB edit down to 8 bit sRGB can not translate perfect and can give some weird artifacts.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this color noise?

A quick way to identify if it's a jpeg artifact is by not compressing quite so much. Try using a setting of about 75% or about 8-9 on a scale of 12 depending on what program you're using to make it web ready. That or any higher setting should make it go away...

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:03 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this color noise?

I shoot Jpeg because of the volume of photos i shoot in a weekend. Camera is set to Srgb.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:07 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this color noise?

The original photo is worse. This is compressed to 20% and saved for web, and shows less than the original.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this color noise?

I guess I need to go up a notch on my reading glasses. What are y'all talking about?

Marty

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:10 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this color noise?

Sorry guys it is hard to see here....I will see if I can crop the picture and repost it.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:36 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this color noise?

Here is a closer look

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    170mm    f/2.8    1/400s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this color noise?

Marty Bingham wrote:
I guess I need to go up a notch on my reading glasses. What are y'all talking about?

Marty

lol, my thought exactly.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this color noise?

IMHO -- Get a bigger card to save your shots and shoot raw. What I see coming out of your camera as a JPG using ISO 3200 looks damn good to me!

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:21 PM
JFreeman

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this color noise?

Thanks ED. The only problem with that is we shoot tournaments and need the ability to upload photos to viewing stations fast.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this color noise?

Marty Bingham wrote:

Marty

Woops. Even after the cropped addition, I'm still agreeing with Marty. What the heck are we suppose to be looking at?

Have we really come to this? That's freakin' ISO3200, which is an ISO that almost any sports shooter is going to use on a very frequent basis!! I personally think the cameras of today are incredible at how well they handle high ISOs. I seriously am not sure what we're suppose to be looking at. Sorry.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:59 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this color noise?

If you're talking about the area highlighted below, it is slightly clipped in the red channel. This can cause a bit of a hue change and a mottled appearance due to loss of detail from the clipped channel.

This is a very mild case, however, and in your initial post it really just looks like a highlight/shadow crease in her jersey. If it bothers you though, you could go back to the original Jpeg and check to see if it is clipped there or if you caused it in post. If it is there in the original, then you will need to do some correction in post. It's pretty minor though.

The slight mottling in the dark shadows around her arms could be a little noise but it could just as well be some of the texture of the jersey - hard to tell and again not really objectionable IMO.

In terms of avoiding this in the future and assuming the red is clipped in the original: Since you are shooting Jpegs and are already pretty much at the limit of the dynamic range of your camera, I would try lowering the in-camera saturation a notch. That might be enough to take care of it. Using a custom picture style with a limit on the reds would be another way to go.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:20 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this color noise?

Marty Bingham wrote:

Marty

+1

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:35 AM
JFreeman

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this color noise?

Thanks Eyeball. I am mainly talking about the blotchy color changes in the reds. Doesn't make for a very nice 16x20 poster when you print something like this out. I am Just trying to see what may cause it and what it is considered so I am able to fix it. Thanks.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this color noise?

It sounds like you're seeing the effects of the red clipping then.

For the pics you have already taken, I suggest:
- First, make absolutely sure that the clipping occurs in your original Jpegs and wasn't caused by a boost to saturation afterwards in any editing you did. If it was caused by your editing, the solution is simple - don't do that.
- If the clipping exists in the original, there are several Photoshop techniques that will work, assuming it's important enough to you to take the time.
- One is to start out by reducing the saturation in the reds 5-10 units to give you some breathing room. Then clone some good red over those problem spots on a new layer that is in the Hue or Color blend mode. Then do a little selective blurring or noise reduction in those areas.
- Another way is to temporarily change the color space to LAB and clone out the offending hue in the B channel. Then apply some selective blurring or noise reduction.
- Lightroom would probably be a little more difficult. You can probably do some selective noise reduction with the adjustment brush but the hue correction is going to be difficult to get right I think.

If you need help with correcting your existing pics, feel free to post an example in the post-processing forum and there are several of us there who can help you out.

Regarding the future, Canon cameras often seem to me to be a little hot in the red/oranges. You might want to try the Neutral picture style if you aren't already. If that drops the saturation too much for your liking, then you may want to try creating a custom picture style or just drop the in-camera saturation a notch as I suggested earlier.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:29 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this color noise?

this looks like a jpeg artifact, its hard to tell really

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is this color noise?

Joey....I'm with Scott, Marty and Ed....I'm not seeing an issue. Everything looks pretty clean....colors, sharpness etc. Whatever you are seeing could probably be resolved with a slight noise reduction adjustment.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password