Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

My son is getting married in June to a very lovely young ladie. I'm very proud of both of them and they are in process of putting the wedding together.
They have asked me to fill in in at the rehersal and after the wedding. They have a photog. to do the wedding. More about that later.
I would love to get some great photos for them and thought you might have some lighting suggetions. I have begun studying some of the photographs here and on other forums for ideas as well.
My equiipment is pretty good, but not great for this kind of work. I have a 1DX and 2 600 ex rt's. I have thought about adding a 3rd 600 and/-or using a remote on the camera to control them.
Any thoughts or suggestions you could share would most appreciated.
Additionally, I have some real concerns about the photog. they have given the nod. [ the are trying to be wise and save money] I saw some of her work and it is not that great. I don't want to interfere with the "kids" and may have to keep mum on this issue. But at the same time, I wonder how I can grab some shots during the wedding without being to much of a problem.
Please be helpful if you can, it's a tuff situation for me.
Thanks and best wishes.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:39 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Might I suggest you talk to the 'kids' politely and not be the dad taking pictures instead of enjoying his son's wedding?

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 04:36 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:10 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

3iron wrote:
I wonder how I can grab some shots during the wedding without being to much of a problem.

Uhhh ... that's why they hired someone: to take pictures during the wedding. I think that's covered already.

Why don't you just relax and enjoy the moment.

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 05:26 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:16 AM
AlexF
• • •
p.1 #4 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Congrats on your sons wedding!

Not sure why you would need additional 600? Unless you are very familiar with using multiple speed lights during the event, its almost always better to keep simple and just bounce your on-camera flash. Not sure what you mean your equipment is not great if you have 1DX?? Lenses available?? If lenses is the issue you can always rent.

If you want to shoot during the wedding that is certainly your right just make sure you are not blocking the hired photographers view. Also don't shoot next to her during the posed shots as your son will have a tendency to look at your camera instead of hers ... And more importantly don't shoot the whole wedding - Its a family celebration and I bet your son cares more about your participation and support then the photos!!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:17 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Okie dokie, so long story short, I was the brother of the bride and IN the wedding party. This made it very hard to photo during the wedding. Being father of the groom means that you'll need to be in a LOT of photos. So here's how I would do it. Bring your 1DX, your 2 600EXs, 2 shoot through umbrellas, a ST-E3 commander for the 600EXs, 2 lightweight light stands that you can move, a 35L, and an 85L. That's all you'll actually need in terms of gear. While I don't recommend you try and shoot bits of the wedding yourself since it will kinda drive you insane, if you're the last line of defense in getting some quality photos, I would just say that you should be in the action and shoot sporadically while also being a part of the wedding. The 2 shoot through umbrellas will provide soft light when it gets darker and you can use those for a couple shots with your kids so that they are decently lit. During reception, I suggest bouncing on camera flash or set up the light stands in a triangle pattern with your camera and have no umbrellas. Try to be discreet when shooting and most important of all is to enjoy the wedding. Also on a separate note, if you have too many drinks during the wedding, your photography skill does not go up with the number of drinks you have had.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:43 AM
Stu Scully

p.1 #6 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

One thing to take into consideration is the flow of the wedding day. Is it safe to assume there is going to be a wedding ceremony then a reception after? And from what you described the hired photog is doing just the ceremony and not the reception after?

If what I just described are the two events for the day be cautious that you will need prep time to set up for the reception after the ceremony "if" you want to incorporate off-camera flash. Being the father of the bride you'll be caught up in any post-ceremony photos so unless you have an assistant running ahead to set up for you this is going to add a lot of stress onto you (especially if you aren't used to doing this).

Now if the rehearsal is being held at the same place as the reception you can use this as a trial run to get some good settings to alleviate the issue I just mentioned.

But as already mentioned, it's much easier to just keep things simple and bounce flash with just an on-camera flash. Add an on-flash reflector if you have high ceilings (or no ceilings if the reception is outdoors) if necessary.

Also be very cognizant that the guests will expect you, as father of the groom, to be social and celebrating so expect to have most of your "roaming" time eaten up getting into many conversations (versus a hired photog who generally get left alone save for the curious folks trying to eek some advise from them). So I wouldn't expect to walk away with 500+ pictures unless you just spray and pray.

Whenever I have shot receptions for friends "off the books" (just a guest) I always go in with the intent to just get a few ad hoc photos knowing that I also want to be social enough to enjoy the day with family and friends.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:33 AM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #7 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

3iron wrote:
My son is getting married in June to a very lovely young ladie. *SNIP*

Additionally, I have some real concerns about the photog. they have given the nod. [ the are trying to be wise and save money] I saw some of her work and it is not that great. I don't want to interfere with the "kids" and may have to keep mum on this issue. *SNIP*

Right there. It's been said a thousand times here but saving money will never be "wise" if they end up with crappy photos. If you want to help them, give them some more money to hire a better photographer. Not "worth it" to be a dad running around with a camera all day.

Don't be "this guy"

Yes, that is the grooms Dad.

faces removed to protect the innocent. Photo by me.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:48 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

BGP1 wrote:
Don't be "this guy".

Sounds like he's settin' up to be THAT guy.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:43 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

I had a recent wedding where during the ceremony the images of one of the parents all you can see is a camera in front of the parent's face and not actually see their face during the ceremony watching their own daughter get married, I am sure you know that totally ruined what would have been the perfect shot where that parent would have been front and center witnessing the event, but instead you see a camera. Things to think about.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

June. Not too late to buy them a better photographer.

I would absolutely avoid taking your camera, but that's just me.

sherijohnson wrote:
I had a recent wedding where during the ceremony the images of one of the parents all you can see is a camera in front of the parent's face and not actually see their face during the ceremony watching their own daughter get married, I am sure you know that totally ruined what would have been the perfect shot where that parent would have been front and center witnessing the event, but instead you see a camera. Things to think about.

It's pretty sad that many of us have similar stories to this...

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

BGP1 wrote:
Right there. It's been said a thousand times here but saving money will never be "wise" if they end up with crappy photos. If you want to help them, give them some more money to hire a better photographer. Not "worth it" to be a dad running around with a camera all day.

I agree 100%... as a full-time photographer and father of a son, I shoot every wedding imagining what it will be like to enjoy my son's wedding without a camera in front of my face. If you want to "help", put in some funds to get someone amazing... leave the camera at home and enjoy the amazing day.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

1Dx is GREAT for this kind of work .

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #13 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Give them more money for a better photog

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:25 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #14 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Sell 1Dx, buy 5D III, use extra cash to hire better photog.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:08 PM
boxman
• •
p.1 #15 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

My son was married last May, and while I took my camera to the reception, I only took a few pictures and tried very hard to stay out of the photogs way.

No way in heck was I missing the wedding, camera stayed in the car, plus I was too busy wiping away tears to take photos.

I did, however, take it to the rehearsal dinner and had a fine time taking table shots and candids (it was a very informal setting).

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

Pretty dumb trying to be in a wedding and shoot a wedding.

a better idea is one that has been mentioned ... help and get a better shooter.

Just curious why the need to shoot? if you want to shoot weddings ... jump on in....lets see what you got!!!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:38 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #17 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

I had a daughter that got married a year ago last October. The day is long, I could only smile at so many people.

I took my camera to the motel when I went to pick up the bride, 35mm f1.8 lens, and a flash and flash cord. I got some stunning pics. I got to bounce light off everything, even a mirrored wall. There was a van to move those intending to drink, I got some great gift/passenger loading pics, almost photo booth quality. They really ad-libbed for me.

The bride and bridesmaids all knew me and were very informal getting ready, again great pics. All the bridesmaids had kids, they were great subjects.

I got a hour break from the wedding, got some great pics, had fun with the camera and enjoyed the wedding.

It was hard, but leave the camera in the car, if possible.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:38 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

You said it. " They are in the process of putting the wedding together." Stay out of it unless you are giving the photography as a gift.

If you were an amazing photographer you would not be asking the question. You would know how to grap a handful of non flash shots that tell a story while not getting in anyones way.
And I do mean a handful and not a thousand to get 10 nice shots.

Stay out of it. Everyone (except maybe you) will be happy.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:53 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #19 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

you can do the photography on the wedding day but I'm sure you'll have more fun enjoying the event. It is your son's big day after all. Tell them how the photographer they have hired is not up to the mark and since you know about photography they'll believe you. Suggest some other photographer and chip in some money if you can

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.1 #20 · Poor selection for wedding photog.

If you can afford a 1DXwhy not hire them a great photog and leave your cam at home if photos are important to you. :-P Relax, enjoy the day and celebrate with them!

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password