Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

Hey guys. Looks like I will be going on a tour of Kennedy Space Center. Nothing special just the standard tourist type. I unfortunately do not have an in to get anything special. What kind of lenses do you suggest? Long, wide or just standard stuff. Not really sure what to expect but I am kinda pumped about going
Thanks all

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

I would take a wide lens....when you see the Saturn 5 rocket lying on it side, you'll understand

Business end of the Saturn 5 First Stage.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    24mm    f/10.0    1/30s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

I was just there in December last year. I attended the close-up tour which also brings you into the assembly hall. My 8 mm fisheye and 14/2.8 rectlinear lenses were very useful there. For the Saturn 5 rocket I used the 14/2.8, too. For outdoor shots of the launch ramp I used my 100-400 lens.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

I don't know what camera or lenses you have, so it's hard to say. As mentioned a wide lens will be very helpful, as well as medium telephoto with a wide aperture such as the 85/1.8 or an f/2.8 lens with IS.

I would take my 17-55IS and 85/1.8 with my 7d. If I was feeling ambitious and had a 100 IS macro or 135/2 I would bring that as well.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:08 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

^^ Equipment is actually in his profile

Take the 12-24 zoom. You can also buy your way into the VAB and other places these days; the VAB may be worth it, there, a 14mm on a FF body would be ideal For the normal bus tour, one of which that can bring you inside the fence of 39A, a normal mid range zoom is good.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:56 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

I will be taking 7D and 12-24 for sure, also the 30 1.4. After that it gets a little fuzzy. Don't currently have a normal 2.8 zoom, long story, and was going to take the 28-105. Originally this trip was not going to be a "photo trip" so wasn't too worried about gear. I was going to just take my wife's XTi and have now opted for the 7D. Had not planned on taking the 70-200 at all. I guess one major question is, Do I need to look into getting that normal 2.8 zoom that I am missing currently? I don't have on because I am not positive what I want to get. Normal for current 7D? so 17-50 or 17-55IS? or since I hope to add FF soon, so I go with one of the many great 24-70 offerings? Man, why do I make this so hard.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:22 AM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

I've been lucky enough to be all over KSC including intimate (if that's the word) prowls through the VAB, literally ducking under space shuttle tails. My advice is Go Wide. You'll need to keep thinking, "How can I show the scale of this scene?" Not easy, but it can pay off.
Mark

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:41 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

You don't need the "normal 2.8 zoom" for this trip, for sure. Don't know if you need it otherwise, but for KSC, not so much. Same for the 70-200, can't remember what I ever used that lens for over there except for special effects.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:51 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

stanj wrote:
^^ Equipment is actually in his profile

The 70-200 will be more weight than its worth, IMHO. I took mine and the only shot I needed it for was the shuttle on the pad (really lucky timing), but that ain't gonna happen any more. So 7d, the 12-24, sig 30, and one of your consumer zooms would do it. I haven't been there in a few years so I don't know how the tour has changed, but most stuff is big and relatively close. The stuff that isn't doesn't move so you'll be OK.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:37 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

timbop wrote:
most stuff is big and relatively close. The stuff that isn't doesn't move so you'll be OK.

... and if the stuff that's close DOES move, RUN

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

stanj wrote:
... and if the stuff that's close DOES move, RUN

Probably should have said "the big stuff that's not close is outside".....

time for bed....

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:58 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

These days there are very little that's cool in the US. This ranks right at the top. One of my bucket list someday....

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:00 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

Depending on which tour you take, you will want a lens for some super close-ups, i.e. 16-35 ish and some telephotos for some items that need reach, i.e. 200 to 400 ish

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:56 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

My much better half was at KSC a few years back, she brought our aging Point-n-shoot and kept it at wide most the time. She found 28mm wasn't enough, so as all have advised go wide; ultra wide; btw, only a few of 300 images taken were above 85mm.

Note, back then camera bags were okay, but backpacks were not allowed...not sure why or if this is still the rule...you might check tho if planning on using one for your gear.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

StillFingerz wrote:
My much better half was at KSC a few years back, she brought our aging Point-n-shoot and kept it at wide most the time. She found 28mm wasn't enough, so as all have advised go wide; ultra wide; btw, only a few of 300 images taken were above 85mm.

Note, back then camera bags were okay, but backpacks were not allowed...not sure why or if this is still the rule...you might check tho if planning on using one for your gear.

This is correct - large bagpacks are not allowed. Travel as light as possible, I took two DSLR cameras and three lenses (8 mm, 14 mm, 100-400 mm) in one shoulder bag. Bags are checked at the entrance gate but it is a fairly quick process.

You will mostly shoot at the ultra wide angle end or with fisheye if available.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM
rolette
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

A friend and I went to KSC in Nov 2010 to watch the next to last shuttle launch (STS 133). Unfortunately for us, the launch got scrubbed and pushed out, but still a very cool trip.

My photos are here with full EXIF data intact in case that helps. I spent a lot of time at 16mm on my 1D4.

Jay

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

Good stuff guys. As always.
Sounds like the 12-24 will spend a lot of time on the 7D that day.
StillFingerz, thanks for the heads up on the bag, guess that make my mind up for what to carry the gear in. rolette, nice gallery, hope mine turn out half as good.

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:30 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

rolette wrote:
A friend and I went to KSC in Nov 2010 to watch the next to last shuttle launch (STS 133).

Almost: STS-134 and 135 followed.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:35 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

retrofocus wrote:
This is correct - large bagpacks are not allowed.

Does NOT apply to photo bags. This was the case with launches before and still applies to tours. I had people there with tripods under the Saturn V taking huge panoramic photos, and nobody said a word.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:36 PM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens advice for Kennedy Space Center

135 wasn't 'officially' scheduled at the time, so I'm not surprised that 133 would have been billed as 'next to last.'

I watched the 'last night launch' twice (130 and 131).

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password