Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Slow Wordpress Solution

MBMK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Slow Wordpress Solution

I bring this up because of my last post about fatal error from Prophoto 4. It was a simple fix. But Prophoto customer support is very good and they told me something I would have never have guessed.

My wordpress has been extremely slow, from logging in to pretty much doing anyhthing on wordpress.

Prophoto noticed the slowness and gave me these few steps to fix this issue and now my blog actually works like its supposed to!

This is for anyone that's using GoDaddy to host their website.

1) Login to your GoDaddy account and click the "My Account" button at the top.
2) Click the "Web Hosting" area and click the gray 'OPTIONS' button.
3) In the pop-up window that appears, click the 'Customize' tab. Then, click the dropdown arrow in the "Plan" box.
4) In that dropdown box that appears, it will display your "Current Plan" - something like
Hosting - Shared - Economy - Linux'
or perhaps
'Hosting - Shared - Deluxe - Linux'
What you'll want to do is scroll until you can see the option
'Hosting - Web - Economy - Linux'
or
'Hosting - Web - Deluxe - Linux'
It will say something like "Downgrade $x.xx/month" and the price should the same as your current hosting package.
Click the new option, then click the "Save Changes" button.
GoDaddy did say that it could take up to 72 hours to go through, so you might not see improvements right away, but you'll still be able to login to your WordPress admin and make changes, etc.
Once it goes through though, you should see a difference.

Please no talk about "Godaddy vs other hosting companies". This is a solution for those that are already using GoDaddy as their hosting. Thank you

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:07 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #2 · Slow Wordpress Solution

So basically you're saying the make sure it's running on Godaddy's Linux servers instead of their Windows servers?
I wonder why their Linux run faster? (no sarcasm, I'm a Windows user)

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:29 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #3 · Slow Wordpress Solution

mci2727 wrote:
So basically you're saying the make sure it's running on Godaddy's Linux servers instead of their Windows servers?
I wonder why their Linux run faster? (no sarcasm, I'm a Windows user)

Yes. I am not sure either? Maybe someone that knows more on this subject could give a better explanation.

I did however noticed, the Windows server was listed as "Shared hosting" where the Linux was listed as "Web Hosting".

But I'm extremely happy today because for the first time my wodpress is working at lightning speed compared to how it has been for the past few years.

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #4 · Slow Wordpress Solution

All the GoDaddy plans have unlimited bandwidth. What are you saying, it's a server/host operating system issue?

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:55 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #5 · Slow Wordpress Solution

What is the subject? Unless you buy a server and pay Goddady to keep it online, your website is on a (clustered) server (probably virtual) with hundreds, potentially thousands of other websites.

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #6 · Slow Wordpress Solution

I think I'm getting this. I do see the option to setup other sites under other domain names I own. And Windows and Linux are the hosting options. My original site was setup on Linux from the start so I don't see the options you see. There must be a way for them to transfer the site between the two operating systems. Yeah, Linux, no brainer.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #7 · Slow Wordpress Solution

'Web Hosting" still doesn't mean your on your own server and therefore it will be faster.

The technical:
What happens is ...your domain name is added to what's called a "host header" file. So, for instance when someone types in or clicks a link to "brianvirtsphotography.com" it sends that domain name (To Internet DNS Servers) which maps it to 72.167.1.1 an IP address. But that IP is a gateway or perimeter address (probably an appliance) that holds the "host header" file that says, get brianvirtsphotography.com for this user. So, it goes back to the server farm where the websites are hosted and pulls the site and delivers it to that user.

Many, many sites may have that same IP address, it just resolves through DNS (Domain Naming). That's how they are able to host hundreds of thousands of sites very efficiently.

I've been using GoDaddy for years, both in the corporate world and for personal sites. I highly recommend them for Wordpress hosting. If you are interested in a site and saving $$$ here is my referral code: WOWBVP2013

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:17 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #8 · Slow Wordpress Solution

I guess I should have posted this part earlier too

Now, I do also want to mention that I noticed that your site is hosted with GoDaddy. Unfortunately we have recently seen a fairly large number of other GoDaddy customers having similar issues, slow load time, etc. We have contacted them to see what the issue was and they informed us that the issue is most likely related to their older 'legacy' web hosting servers. They said that if your site is hosted on one of these 'legacy shared servers,' it can cause slow loading speed.
In any case, they stated that if you get your site migrated over to one of their new "4GH" servers, that should help. Of course, we asked how this would work and if it would cost more, but they assured us that it does not cost any extra - it is just a migration from an older server system to a newer one, so no additional cost or anything.

As for migrating from an older legacy server to a new 4GH server, here is what you can do:

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #9 · Slow Wordpress Solution

Yes, they migrated me last summer. These new servers are running PHP5 (that was the reason for migration), if you go into the details of your account... Linux and PHP5 should be listed details.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · Slow Wordpress Solution

I'm with Godaddy for a bunch of my web-design work. I always function off of linux servers since they are faster, more reliable, and are pretty much bulletproof. Their newer servers function kind of like blade servers so you can share bandwidth across a wide array. The result is blazing speed at a fraction of the cost. Even if you just get a normal non-wordpress account, you can still host wordpress if you dump the files in.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password