Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

dsouzl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I know this is not Wedding-related but I'm sure others have wrestled with this before.

I'm going on a cruise in a couple of months (stopping at 5 different islands) and really want to bring a decent camera with me.

I don't want to bring any of my wedding gear as it's too big...and walking around with large, expensive gear is probably not a great idea.

I'm looking at the Sony RX100 or Canon G1X.

Are there other cameras worth looking at?

Which one would you choose?

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:09 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

i took an olympus omd-5 on vacation - and i was totally happy with it. i even blew some of the photos up to 20x30 and they looked awesome.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

We went on a Caribbean cruise a couple years ago. Brought the G11 and a smaller powershot pocket cam. Both got a lot of use. The powershot probably went on a few more shore excursions than the G11 due to its compact size. Never once missed the dslr.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:40 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Thanks Janet. I just checked out the omd-5...the specs are pretty awesome, but I don't really want interchangable lenses...it would send me on a buying frenzy which I'm trying to avoid!

I'm leaning towards the G1X because I'm a Canon shooter and could leverage some of my older Canon gear (ST-E2, 580 II)....but then again, I really like the compact size of the Sony RX100.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:41 PM
bertpalmer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

OMD

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:50 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I know it's not one of your options, but I often take my fixed lens 35mm rangefinder with me on such occasions. Most enjoyable.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:13 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Canon G15 is pretty sweet

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:20 PM
caribrob

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I brought the RX100 on a recent trip through Asia and Australia, along with the D800.

I used the RX100 60-70% of the time and for 3 reasons: portability, raw files, low light capabilities.

I would be happy to send you some raw files under various lighting conditions for you to look at, just let me know.

best
Rob

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:24 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Sony RX1 ftw

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:52 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

ryan21 wrote:
Sony RX1 ftw

baller

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Rob...thanks for the offer. Low light and portability are definitely important to me which is why I'm considering the RX100. I just wish it had a hot shoe...I really don't care for pop-up flashes (although I suppose if I had to, I should be able to trigger an optical slave flash using the pop-up flash...unless there's a pre-flash which could complicate things).

Ryan....the RX1 is way out of my budget....but definitely a sweet camera!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

ryan21 wrote:
Sony RX1 ftw

The price on that thing is totally insane. The fuji X100s means you lose a few pixels (16 vs 22MP) but get on chip phase detect af and a hybrid viewfinder included for maybe half the cost.

Anyway, OP I'd go for the RX100

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:23 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I know the RX1 is amazing, but for that price, sheesh...include a viewfinder!

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

currently using an x100, but I could be happy with a nex/em-5/rx1... tons of great options right now.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:36 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

X100s
Currently using the X100.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

how about a Rebel T-whatever. It is fairly small and can make use of your current EOS lenses.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:16 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I considered a Rebel...but I really want something smaller than an SLR.

I like EVERYTHING about the Sony RX100...except that it doesn't have a hot shoe...or sync port. I'd love to be able to easily trigger a remote flash, but given it's low-light capabilities, this may be less of an issue than I think.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:37 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

I just got back from a cruise and I brought my 5d2 and 7d with. I typically used a 16-35 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8 on the 5d2 and 135 f2 on the 7d. I also had an underwater camera along. It depends how much you want to take pictures and your subjects you are going for, but I have gone on 5 now, and this set up works quite well for me. I also brought a few more primes, but the ones I mentioned were used most frequently. I also brought a small carbon fiber tripod with ball head that worked well for video.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Oly OMD

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:43 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which vacation camera would you choose?

Lou
The Rx100 is terrible in low light. I mean it will focus but above 400 iso and the thing falls apart. Yes it is a resolution beast and my wife LOVES hers ... but in low light it is not impressive. For outside stuff it is fantastic but it is still just a point and shoot no matter how you slice it.
Who ever claims it is good in low light is very mistaken. The OMD, X100, RX1, etc. are all better in low light. Heck the Fuji X10 is better in low light.

If I were you I would be looking at either the X20 or the X100s. Not sure if Fuji will sort the raw support but if they do those cameras are going to smoke the rest competition. Just the ergonomics alone are worth the price of admission. The sony is cool but it is nothing more than a point and shoot at the end of the day. The OMD and Fuji at least give you the option of having a "camera" that you can operate traditionally.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password