Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CamRanger - first impressions

jdidomenico
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CamRanger - first impressions

I have a business that manufactures interior millwork, cabinetry, stairs etc. I photograph our work to print and for our website. In most cases I need to get in and out with limited time for set up. I had been disappointed with composition in the past and wanted a tool to help. Bringing a laptop along was going to be too bulky and too much to set up and the wireless file transmitter very expensive for the 5D III. Then I came across the CamRanger and took the plunge hoping not to be disappointed - at $300 it was worth the risk. My kit consists of Canon gear, 5D III, many lenses (too many according to my wife), Elinchrome lighting, flashes etc.

The CamRanger is a small device 2-1/2" x 4" and fits into a small pouch that clips to the camera or tripod so that it is out of the way. The CamRanger connects directly to the camera via a small USB connector. It produces a wifi signal hotspot that is password connected to the iPad. Once connected and the app applied the CamRange is enabled. This device has all the basic controls you have in the camera, everything you see in the camera LCD when Q is selected; shutter speed, ISO, aperture, white balance, etc. It also can focus from live view, set timed shots including time lapse, and act as an HDR tool.

Set up is easy. Once you have the device you can download an app to the iPad which acts as the control. In wifi settings you select the CamRanger and put in the security code, connect to the camera and you are ready. I mostly shoot and PP RAW files and have the 5D III's CF card set for RAW and the SD card set for small jpg. This is the selection I made for review on my iPad to limit the file size. You can set the function to a automatically save the files or as I have it, save files manually. In either case when shooting all files are shown in thumbnails for quick review. Saved files are saved in the camera roll on the iPad which is a blessing since these can easily be deleted without having to go through iTunes linked to a computer. You can also access all files in the camera (taken with or without the CamRanger).

I find this tool has helped me tremendously in setting up composition and reviewing color and contrast. I love the fact that I can shoot and send a photo in an email to my office from the shoot or even post a photo without having to set up and download a photo to my laptop. I love not having to drag my laptop around.

My only gripe (if it is one) is that the 10" retina display is great but can't be calebrated to my knowledge. Whites are pure and color is spot on but when I do get back and download photos for post processing and printing they are different on my display and need work. This will always be the case from one source to another but I do know one thing, my next computer will be a MacBook with retina display! I have attached some photo's from a recent shoot - these have no post processing just straight from the camRanger and iPad.

In short this is a great divide if you wish to review your work on site without having to bring your laptop. If you want to post photos quick and easy this is a great device. If you have 50 year-old eyes that need a screen bigger than 3.2" (like me) this is a great device. I was skeptical but at $299 and a $19.99 extra battery it was worth the risk - but it has proven to be worth every penny.

Jim

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM
BertDude

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CamRanger - first impressions

Hi... Datacolor has a colorimeter that will calibrate the ipad...

http://download.datacolor.eu/newsletter/2011-08-01-EN/

Bert

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password