Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

Allen, the other photographer was a fine gentlemen and I believe we coordinated well during the event with exception of the posed shots. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done the same (let one take control and then the other). As it was, I stayed about an hour after he left and got a number of guest under the arch to myself and a couple of videos of a guest singing a few songs, one with the groom playing the air guitar in accompaniment.

Overall, I am happy with the quality of my photos provided and thoroughness of the coverage and have little doubt that the other photographer's photos will be quite good as well. I believe the couple (and bride's mother) will be happy. I am interested to compare our photos, for myself only, and not to the couple or family.

Thanks
Steve

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Cool

I would say there's a fair difference in white balance and colour tone between them. Post production takes a long time to get right - I real *really* right - especially under tungsten lighting. Even a white balance tweak (many of the indoor ones are too green) would help quite a lot.

Also watch for the details of the backgrounds. You don't want to shoot with someones head in front of a light and the girls shot could have been taken higher to avoid the legs in their heads

A few of them could do with some straightening too, or
...Show more

Phil
Thanks for those tips. I will go back and review with these in mind. The wedding was under fluorescent lighting and I used a light green gell. For the first 3 photos, on the stage, I did not use a flash since it was part of the ceremony. The reception had much more tungsten lighting and I didn't use a gell.

As mentioned, due to wrong settings, I only ended up with JPEG files and not RAW. I have the current Photoshop, any suggestions to correct the color balance on the JPEG files?

Thanks
Steve

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:52 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

Sjjindra wrote:
Phil
Thanks for those tips. I will go back and review with these in mind. The wedding was under fluorescent lighting and I used a light green gell. For the first 3 photos, on the stage, I did not use a flash since it was part of the ceremony. The reception had much more tungsten lighting and I didn't use a gell.

As mentioned, due to wrong settings, I only ended up with JPEG files and not RAW. I have the current Photoshop, any suggestions to correct the color balance on the JPEG files?

Thanks
Steve

You're welcome

You can still white balance JPEG files in Lightroom if you have that? LR4 is very cheap (for what it is) and very very good! If you only have photoshop I'm not that sure... maybe do some research on the net?

You'll lose a little quality compared with doing it on the RAW file and it's slightly less effective, but that would definitely be the easiest route.

Flourescent lighting is a nightmare because it doesn't stay one colour temperature all the time Well done for gelling some of it though - that'll help to keep the colours the same in the background as the foreground You might want to use a 1/4 CTO gel next time under tungsten

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

I have LR4 as well, but haven't spent enough time to get the hang of it. In general, I love to shoot more than edit, but I know I'm going to have buckle down and learn the ins and outs of post to get the most out of my photos. When it comes to setting down to edit past photos or getting out on a kayak to take more, you can guess way that decision usually goes. But getting the best out of the photos for the young couple does serve as a good incentive.

Thanks again.
Steve

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:15 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

Sjjindra wrote:
...As mentioned, due to wrong settings, I only ended up with JPEG files and not RAW. I have the current Photoshop, any suggestions to correct the color balance on the JPEG files?

As mentioned by Phil, Lightroom is a good way to do it, but you can do it in Photoshop as well.

I use Photoshop Elements, rather than Photoshop CS, so the exact menu location may be different, but in Elements you can go to Enhance:Adjust Color:Remove Color Cast. You then click on an area of the photo that should be pure white, gray, or black, and the software will adjust the color balance. Photoshop CS should have a similar function. With a bride in a white dress it's simple, but if no one in the shot was in white, black, or gray it would be more difficult; that's why use of a neutral target like a WhiBal card or ColorChekr can be a useful tool.

Raw files have more to work with for best results, but it works reasonably well on JPEG files as well.

I took the liberty of adjusting your photo using this "one click" method by clicking on the bride's dress, and here is the result (darkened to enhance the visibility of the color cast):

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wedding Hardware and Settings?

BrianO

I appreciate the example. I do need to get tough with myself and start learning, at least the most commonly used tools and techniques for post. I'm sure I will be much happier with my photos when I do.

My wife and I went to dinner with the couple and came back to review the photos. They were very pleased with all. She did notice the division of attention in some of the posed ones and mentioned that it wasn't just the fact that there were two photographers, but also family and friends with cameras and phones. We see the couple each week, so if I improve a few I can give them updated prints later.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Steve

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:33 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password