Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

The last few days have been a harrowing experience. I decided to take the slow period to update my website (amongst many other things). One of the task was going to WP 3.5. It had a one-button click to upgrade.

Well I didn't think much about it. I pressed it. Put my daughter to sleep. Came back and was greeted with "Hello World!" and something about welcome to Wordpress 3.5!!!

I don't know if I missed any prior steps as all it took was click the "Upgrade" button. All my portfolio was gone. Blog was gone. Everything. Thankfully I had a backup copy of my blog.

Anyhow, I decided to turn the bad situation into a good one and redesign the site entirely.
Bottom line don't trust the seemingly harmless looking "Upgrade" button. Backup everything!

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:55 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

What's supposed to normally happen with a Wordpress upgrade?
I have not been doing the upgrades for fear of messing up my site.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:30 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I guess I should be glad that I never used wordpress UNTIL 3.5...several days ago I finally updated my website to a wordpress template instead of basic html.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:43 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Very frustrating it sounds, thats a hard recovery if you don't have a backup. But, who designed the blog, etc? Wordpress isn't designed to change any of your design files, SQL databases or anything else that would effect the content on the blog. Something doesn't sound right.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:49 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

sboerup wrote:
Very frustrating it sounds, thats a hard recovery if you don't have a backup. But, who designed the blog, etc? Wordpress isn't designed to change any of your design files, SQL databases or anything else that would effect the content on the blog. Something doesn't sound right.

+1 Are you sure this is a WordPress issue. It doesn't change anything (or at least not supposed to and never has).

Ghost wrote:
Bottom line don't trust the seemingly harmless looking "Upgrade" button. Backup everything!

Not really good advice because we don't know what was done on the blog to begin with. Do you know of other conversations regarding WP as the culprit?

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:25 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

form wrote:
I guess I should be glad that I never used wordpress UNTIL 3.5...several days ago I finally updated my website to a wordpress template instead of basic html.

YAY!!!!

Your work far outshined your site. Took a quick look and it needs more work, but it is a huge step forward

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I've never had an issue beyond some customisations being wiped out (which is to be expected really) and some theme problems, even running two sites of the same core files. Sounds mad that it would actually wipe anything, best do a manual uprade next time.

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 01:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Pretty sure I've clicked the upgrade button in the past w/o any issues...

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I've never had a problem. Sorry to hear of yours.

I don't suppose you still have the old one and can do a screencapture of what you see.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Wierd. I upgraded mine to WP 3.5 and all was well. I remember some time ago when I updated wordpress it totally destroyed my site but I traced it back to the template I was using.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

It shouldn't affect the theme, that's pretty weird. Unless maybe you had other themes installed or there was confusion as to what wordpress was being upgraded in the database.

I found a theme online a few years ago and rewrote a bunch of it customizing pretty much the whole interface. I've been on 3.5 for a while, no issues. I would highly recommend everyone to keep up on the updates, because they address known issues and security holes.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Yaryman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I know this doesn't help the OP, but it is a reminder to backup your Blog every once and a while.

That said, it's been an "every once and a while" and I'm starting a backup now.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

sboerup wrote:

The last WP theme that I used was by SLR Lounge recommended by Chris Fawkes. Lovely little free theme I must say. It worked back in WP 3.1 and 3.3. But got nuked when I pressed the upgrade button to WP 3.5.

I don't know if it was mySQL as it wasn't touched. Per Godaddy, it is up-to-date and so was PHP (gawd that sounds like a drug).
I'm not so worried about losing the formatting. But losing the blog entries would've been disastrous for me as I am not into blogging and am quite forgetful on what happened where.

IIRC what got nerfed were:
blog, portfolio slideshow, menu headings went all default, no more welcome page, logo replaced, not sure what else. But it felt like it went back to default SLR Lounge hybrid.

I've am rebuilding the site again. I planned to do this but.... in my own time. Oh well.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:44 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I bet you are glad you had a back up!

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:15 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I had no issue updating. Went along just like normal.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Sahid Limon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

That's very strange to hear. I recently did an update, and it worked out just fine. I was worried though, because in the past, doing the auto update messed up the comments and some other things, so I usually always download and manually update it through ftp. This is the only time where things went smoothly with autoupdate.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I guess I upgraded to 3.5 when it first came out. Been running it ever since without any issues.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I'm still using that same theme as you were from slr lounge for my site and it upgraded fine.

That is very strange that it nuked yours.

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

I too upgraded to 3.5 with no issues.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Warning to those upgrading to WordPress 3.5

Mark_L wrote:
I've never had an issue beyond some customisations being wiped out (which is to be expected really) and some theme problems, even running two sites of the same core files. Sounds mad that it would actually wipe anything, best do a manual uprade next time.

If you set things up n a parent/child type of configuration, you should not have any issues with losing customization. Here is a quick link to a tutorial on why and how: http://www.codediva.com/wcb12/#1
(not mine, but I've found Laurie's information to be solid and helpful)

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password