Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

I was under the impression that it was possible to use the software that comes with your camera to set a custom file name and the exif data. Was I wrong? After all of these years shooting digital (since the 10d days), I have never even bothered to install the Canon software until now. I just did about 20 minutes ago because I want to set custom file names for my cameras (5D3's and 5D2's). But, I have not been able to find a way to set this info though the software.

I know you can set a custom 4 digit prefix in the camera menu, but I was wanting to set them to something like ConnerPhoto_5D3a-XXXX, ConnerPhoto_5D3b-XXXX, etc.

Am I out of luck? thanks!

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

You don't need to connect the camera: merely insert your CF card in a reader, and each time you upload it will automatically change the file names once you set it up. Insert card > EOS Utility opens > Select >Preferences > download images > and tweak as you like. I set folders by date and file names like Seaside_2012_9999.CR2. You can also do the same thing with your camera connected via USB.

Connect your camera via USB and EOS Utility will open and allow you to insert your name and other info in camera EXIF data. Select > Control Camera > Camera Settings/Remote Shooting > select the icon with hammer & wrench > type owner's name etc.

Canon has a PDF manual with detailed instructions and also instructional videos if you care to study further.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:55 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

Thanks...Yeah, I had found how you could enter the owner and copyright, but I was hoping there was an expanded set of exif options. As for renaming on importing, I know I have that option. I was wanting a no-hassle way of being able to have each camera have a unique prefix to make sorting and separating easier. We are wedding shooters and shoot around 2k images per wedding on 4 cameras. It would just make life easier for me if I could easily differentiate and sort the images based on file prefix...especially on the Mark 2's since there is no customizing via the camera menu at all. If it's not possible it's not possible...I just always thought that it was.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

I don't have the 5D2 or 5D3 bodies. But in my 1 series bodies I can make an unique prefix for the camera I use. In the camera meny I can change the first four letters in the file name of every pic from that camera. You could change your so all file names from the 5D2 started with that name. And the other could start with 5D3. Or anything else that you decide. It could be Joel if you like that. (if it's the same as in my 1 series bodies)

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 02:38 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #5 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

Your user manual explains how to set custom file names, PAGE 150.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007348/02/eos5dmkiii-im2-c-en.pdf

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Setting File Name/Exif in Camera...

I use DIM4 to read from the card reader and automagically set the filenames to something meaningful. I configured it to make a copy on the backup bare drive at the same time.

Lightroom will allow you to set copyright info on import.

Lightroom will also allow you to sort photos based on camera serial number.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password