FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Monopods

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Monopods

15Bit wrote:
I don't really see the point of a ballhead on a monopod. In truth i don't see the point of an expensive tilt head either - it's not like a tripod where you may need fine adjustments.

I have a cheap manfrotto 234RC on my 679B monopod, and it's more than good enough for my 70-200mm f/2.8.

Then you probably don't know the proper way to use a monopod for maximum stability It's NOT held
perpendicular to the ground....rather at an angle along side of your leg and wedged at the base against
your foot. The tilt head/ballhead facilitates the leveling of the lens. Don't really see the point of
using a monopod for the diminutive 70-200...but to each his own.

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:18 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Monopods

trenchmonkey wrote:
Then you probably don't know the proper way to use a monopod for maximum stability It's NOT held
perpendicular to the ground....rather at an angle along side of your leg and wedged at the base against
your foot. The tilt head/ballhead facilitates the leveling of the lens. Don't really see the point of

I confess i wasn't aware there was only one "proper" way to use a monopod. But i happily will bow to your greater experience - it wouldn't be the first time that i find i've been doing something wrong for years I won't be changing style though as my current way works well enough.

I think i only use my monopod with the 70-200mm - its the perfect combo for indoor use at school plays etc.

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Monopods

The 2.8? The lens is heavy enough to need support if using it for a long time. But hmm, a monopod for only 200mm? But hey, 200 is like wide angle for me.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Monopods

Bifurcator wrote:
The 2.8? The lens is heavy enough to need support if using it for a long time.

Or if using it in a room so dark that shutter speeds are in the range 1/25 -> 1/100 at f/2.8 and ISO3200...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Monopods

Yeah, true.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:25 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Monopods

Or if using it in a room so dark that shutter speeds are in the range 1/25 -> 1/100 at f/2.8 and ISO3200...

Oh, like this perhaps They've got this thing called VR (IS) (OS) (VC) etc. It was in all the papers
D3/70-200 1/40th f2.8 ISO3200 VR-On HANDHELD & SOOC

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:58 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Monopods

trenchmonkey wrote:
Oh, like this perhaps They've got this thing called VR (IS) (OS) (VC) etc. It was in all the papers
D3/70-200 1/40th f2.8 ISO3200 VR-On HANDHELD & SOOC

Unfortunately getting IS on my 70-200mm costs about 10x what the monopod cost. So i live without.

Of course as a Nikon shooter you don't get so much choice in what you buy

Nice candid, btw.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:19 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Monopods

Point taken, thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:29 PM
photo1a
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Monopods

I have the Manfrotto 681B with a quick release attachment. It is a very sturdy monopod. I use is for my Canon 500 f/4 IS. I'm very happy with it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Monopods

15Bit wrote:
I don't really see the point of a ballhead on a monopod. In truth i don't see the point of an expensive tilt head either - it's not like a tripod where you may need fine adjustments.

I have a cheap manfrotto 234RC on my 679B monopod, and it's more than good enough for my 70-200mm f/2.8.

trenchmonkey wrote:

While someone may say "technically" that's the way to use a monopod, I've shot hundreds and hundreds of sporting events using a monopod and never once have I seen anyone--not a single shooter--use a monopod like this. So, like most everything else in photography, it probably depends what one is shooting and what their objectives are.

I have also not seen too many pros use ballheads and tiltheads on monopods. Most just screw the monopod right onto the lens collar. The few times I have seen others use ballheads, they seem to spend a lot of time keeping their gear from flopping around rather than just shooting. The idea when on a crowded sideline of an NFL game, for example, is to not have to worry about little things like ballheads and keeping the camera tightened down. Put the gear on a monopd and shoot. Simple.

Having said all that, I personally prefer to use lens plates and clamps. I like that I can quickly get the lens off the monopod and often use the clamps for a "fish-stick" set-up where I'm putting a body with a fisheye lens on the monopod to reach places I might not otherwise be able to reach. The clamps lets me do that quickly and efficiently. I also use the 681B and have had the same item--the very same monopod--for going on 10 years without ever having any issues with the monopod.

This video might help explain how I set up a monopod. I don't mention the "fish stick" set-up in that video, but probably will make one of those videos sometime soon.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Monopods

Scott Sewell wrote:
While someone may say "technically" that's the way to use a monopod, I've shot hundreds and hundreds of sporting events using a monopod and never once have I seen anyone--not a single shooter--use a monopod like this. So, like most everything else in photography, it probably depends what one is shooting and what their objectives are.

I have also not seen too many pros use ballheads and tiltheads on monopods. Most just screw the monopod right onto the lens collar. The few times I have seen others use ballheads, they seem to spend a lot of time keeping their gear
...Show more

Scott,

Of course you don't need an tilt head or any other head on your monopod when shooting NFL games or sport like you describe. Why would you need to tilt when you have all your subjects on exactly the same level in front of you all the time.
But for people that shoot birds or other stuff where you have the subject on the ground and suddenly it's 30 meters up in the air or in a tree it can be very nice with a Tilt Head.
I have about the same setup/equipment as you describe when I shoot soccer or most other sport in Sweden. But when I'm stying in Thailand and shoot birds in the tropical jungle or in the mangroves, it's really good to have the Tilt Head/monopod combo.
It's also very easy to lean your monopod back to get the right angle when using a 70-200 or 300mm lens without a tilt head. But it's a lot different when having an 800+TC attached to your monopod. You can't really lean the monopod much then.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Monopods

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Scott,

Of course you don't need an tilt head or any other head on your monopod when shooting NFL games or sport like you describe. Why would you need to tilt when you have all your subjects on exactly the same level in front of you all the time.
But for people that shoot birds or other stuff where you have the subject on the ground and suddenly it's 30 meters up in the air or in a tree it can be very nice with a Tilt Head.
I have about the same setup/equipment as you describe when I shoot soccer
...Show more

Yep, and the OP specifically mentioned "sports," which is why I replied with the info I shared. I missed the part where he was asking about BIF and things like tropical jungles and mangroves. Had I known he was interested in BIF or tropical jungles or mangroves I wouldn't have replied because I don't have experience with those things. I thought my reply was relevant to his question about sports.

Maybe the OP would clarify for us.

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:52 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Monopods

Scott Sewell wrote:
Maybe the OP would clarify for us.

Since you asked, I shoot mostly sports right now and don't have any lenses long enough for BIF right now. In the future I will, but currently it's not happening. And I live in snowy New York state, so no tropical jungles to explore right now.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:54 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Monopods

I use a Feisol CM-1471 with an inexpensive Giottos Ballhead that has an Arca-Swiss compatible shoe. With the spike it doubles as a great walking stick.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:31 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Monopods

Manfrotto 681B monopods (about $65) is one of very few genuinely great deals remaining with photography gear today. I have used the monopod with a very heavy 400 f/2.8 IS MkI as well as 800L for two years with no issues at all. (I also have Gitzo GM5541, but do not use it as often as the Manfrotto.)

I have no elaborate head on the 681B, just a 2.5" QR clamp. That to me is the lightest, the simplest and the safest setup, with a very minor adverse impact on effectiveness of monopod use. If I'd like to shoot something that high up, then I'd probably drop the pod and continue handheld. Besides, my pictures of a birdie high up in a tree seldom look good anyways, thus, as a general rule, I do not even bother taking them.
The fact the monopod is made of aluminum and not CF means little: 0.1 kg or so extra in the bag is of no real consequence to the entire rig carrying effort.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Monopods

I'd like to see a small-of-back carry method for the Manfrotto, similar to the way bush tribes carry machetes. The monopod will be out of the way, yet fast on the draw.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:18 PM
mordicai
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Monopods

Sirui works great for me. The monopod is 100 bucks light and strong. I use aSuri ball head that works great with a quick release. Only takes a second to move it to my tripod. Great combo!

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:01 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Monopods

gome1122 wrote:
And also would anyone buy/need a $660 monopod?

That pod is targeted for those who need support for big heavy lenses and big heavy bodies and then weigh them down with the weight of both hands.

Not to mention it is made out of carbon fiber, a substance much more valuable than unicorn bones.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Monopods

Savas K wrote:
I'd like to see a small-of-back carry method for the Manfrotto, similar to the way bush tribes carry machetes. The monopod will be out of the way, yet fast on the draw.

Simple, when you're wearing a backpack with a strap/handle on top. Use a carabiner through the backpack top strap to connect to a webbing or cord loop around the top of the monopod. Put the bottom part of the monopod shaft through the bottom part of the backpack shoulder strap connection to the base of the backpack or waist belt. Viola, you're done! Reach back and over the top to grab and release the carabiner, and there you have it - a monopod in your hands.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Monopods

dolina wrote:
That pod is targeted for those who need support for big heavy lenses and big heavy bodies and then weigh them down with the weight of both hands.

Not to mention it is made out of carbon fiber, a substance much more valuable than unicorn bones.

that is including the head too. I have the original v1 of that RRS head and it serves me well.but I put it on a Feisol 1471R MP. I consider an MP to be a somewhat consumable item so that level of investment just no justifiable to me.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:21 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.