p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The wife and I round #3

Thanks novicesnapper

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The wife and I round #3

Definitely getting better.

While I'm a guy who likes his gear, sometimes, less is more. So don't feel like you need to buy more gear for this shot.

You are getting some good advice here for sure. And your simple background is much nicer, in my opinion but that depends on your vision for the photo.

Keep on working it and sharing. Your journey on here is helping more people than you realize

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The wife and I round #3

hk_mtbr wrote:
Keep on working it and sharing. Your journey on here is helping more people than you realize

That is definitely the single most encouraging statement I've ever read regarding my photography. I must say I do appreciate it greatly

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:16 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The wife and I round #3

I changed up the processing. Using Lightroom I chose under general presets auto tone.

Edited on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:02 PM
novicesnapper

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The wife and I round #3

I think the auto went a smidgen too far. I'm getting a slight blue cast on you're face. The image feels almost softish now. One thing to be careful of is making sure you walk away for an hour or two before committing any changes. The reason why, is you're eyes get saturated and they can fool you on what you think is good or not. I saw an example on some photo site how this happens.

My rules are,
I never work on images late in the evening, or pour over an image for more than 30 minutes at a time, fatigue causes bad judgment on my part.
I never commit on an image until I walk away for at least an hour. To let my eyes "de" saturate.
On the bottom row in LR, right click the original and "make" a virtual copy. You'll know it's a virtual copy, because the corner of the photo will be curled up. What this will do, is allow you to refer back to the per processed image for reference. As a gauge. Now, go back to the original.

I brought you're original forward for a closer comparison between these two. I think you'll see what I mean on softish and the slight blueish cast on you're face. Her face is better, but at a compromise. There's another way to brighten her face in LR, without affecting the rest of the image.
Go to brushes in develop module, top right.
Click the drop down and select exposure.
Hit "O" on the keyboard, this shows where you will be "painting" her face. Called an overlay, default is pink I think.
Now set amount of exposure on the lower section to say +5 or 10, by default it will probably be around 30 or 40%. Remember, less is often better.
Now paint her face. The pink overlay will show you where you have painted. Just hit "O" to make it dissappear or reappear.
Now after you have "painted her face", hide (hit O) the pink overlay and by gently moving the exposure slider, you can visibly adjust the amount you are applying to her. If you have a slower PC. move slowly and allow it to make the adjustment.

Try to stay just on her face. Make the adjustment amount you feel it needs, and step away for a sec, then come back and compare to the virtual original we made. It's not unusual for me to have 3 or 4 different versions, until I settle on "the" one. You'll get better as you learn more on processing, but it just takes time.
Here's a quick tutorial on this function. I use it alot, to burn (darken) or dodge (lighten) to highlight something in an image.

Edit to Add:
I forgot to mention, to remove the painted effect in LR, just hold down the alt key and paint whatever effect back out of the image. The pink overlay will vanish as you do this.

OP Original

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/pokemanyz/After-Church-FM_zpsc129e130.jpg

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The wife and I round #3

This is a nice classic shot and I love how the two are smiling. I just think the background is too bright

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:45 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The wife and I round #3

I replaced the original picture now that I've discovered the plugin Perfectly Clear.
I love this plugin! (Look at the first page to compare)
Anyone else using it?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
hkgharry
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The wife and I round #3

hk_mtbr wrote:

+1

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM
trevanian
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The wife and I round #3

Wow! You are really improving. I've only seen the first one besides this one. Good pic.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.