New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

ratsnest74
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

one other thing, live view would not focus on the moon so had to revert back to manual focus and it never looked that sharp whereas the pole did via live view, so Im learning toward the tube being the culprit

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

ratsnest74 wrote:
Im going to remove the tube and revers the TCs and see if I get better results.

You can't do that. The Canon tele-extenders cannot be stacked, because of the protrusion. That's why people use one (or more) Kenko extenders as a kludge. As you found, a short extension tube between a pair of tele-extenders works fine, as long as you don't need to focus beyond a certain distance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:45 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Photon wrote:
You can't do that. The Canon tele-extenders cannot be stacked, because of the protrusion. That's why people use one (or more) Kenko extenders as a kludge. As you found, a short extension tube between a pair of tele-extenders works fine, as long as you don't need to focus beyond a certain distance.

that is terrible for shooting the moon, otherwise it doesn't matter I suppose

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

mitesh wrote:
I think the lack of sharpness on the moon shot has more to do with stacked TCs than poor focus due to the tube.

the tube is going to stop proper infinity focus. im not sure at what point you will loose sharp focus but it will be less than infintity

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:12 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Ian, you're right about that- I was just opining that the lack of sharpness the OP was talking about in the moon shot appeared to me to be due to the image degradation rather than lack of infinity focus. Of course, I'm just speaking based on my own trials of 600mm + stacked 1.4 and 2x, and I could very well be wrong. As my wife would tell you, that's the case more often than not.

Don't forget, at that magnification, the moon's movement will also result in blur- although not sure how much at 1/400 as the OP shot at.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:20 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

ok, just tried again with the canon 2x TC stacked with my old Sigma 2x DG TC (since Canon's design flaw is one cannot stack its own TCs without a tube or 3rd party TC)...and results are MUCH BETTER, its sharp to my satisfaction. 1600mm f22. Cropped but not 100% below:

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:53 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Yes, that's clearly better. Nice shot!

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:54 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Why does Canon always do that, makes things that wont work as they could...

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:04 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

I assume theres some construction/optical reason why.

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:08 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

but they dont have too, the 3rd party TCs dont and can stack...Canon always intentionally cripples their cameras so I assume this is an intentional design flaw to cripple the TC

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

wrote:
but they dont have too, the 3rd party TCs dont and can stack...Canon always intentionally cripples their cameras so I assume this is an intentional design flaw to cripple the TC

Assumption is the mother of all f.. f.. foulups.

So many people think they know better than Canon's optical designers and engineers. They would best be advised to keep an open mind until they can get definitive information on one point or another like this one.

Just buy the dang 3rd party TCs since you think they are better optically and don't have this stacking problem. Oh, wait, you don't think the 3rd party TCs are as good optically? Then quit whining about it. Or decide that stacking is more important and get the third party TC. Or decide that stacking and optical quality are both important so buy both Canon and third party.

Lots of people want to have their cake and eat it too. They think Canon (or whatever company) owes them their product according to their specifications at their price. Owes them!

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Monito wrote:
Assumption is the mother of all f.. f.. foulups.

So many people think they know better than Canon's optical designers and engineers. They would best be advised to keep an open mind until they can get definitive information on one point or another like this one.

Just buy the dang 3rd party TCs since you think they are better optically and don't have this stacking problem. Oh, wait, you don't think the 3rd party TCs are as good optically? Then quit whining about it. Or decide that stacking is more important and get the third party TC. Or decide that stacking and
...Show more

Monito, we've heard your speech about people thinking Canon owes them something one too many times. Let's stick to adding information to the topic and leave all this extra non information to the side lines. You might think you are somehow adding something to these threads with these semi rants...but it is truly getting old news. Just stop it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:25 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

well I have done just that out of necessity, I have a stacked Canon and Sigma or two canons with a tube, I really couldnt hope for better results in either case depending on the subject matter. Now to lure some birds and try that!

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:14 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

chez wrote:
Monito, we've heard your speech about people thinking Canon owes them something one too many times. Let's stick to adding information to the topic and leave all this extra non information to the side lines. You might think you are somehow adding something to these threads with these semi rants...but it is truly getting old news. Just stop it.

I responded on topic, that the assumption that the design of the tele-extenders is purposely crippled is not a wise assumption at all. In a previous post I added information regarding the effect of the tube on the f/stop.

However, you haven't added any information to this thread or written on topic with this your first post.

Take your own advice.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:44 AM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

Finally had a chance to shoot some birds with the TC, this is the 100-400mm L at 400mm with the 2x TC mk III. I found that LV with auto focus was indeed much too slow but that MF the old fashioned way worked pretty well.

Brown Nuthatch, no cropping

Same Image of Brown Nuthatch, cropped

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:59 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

ratsnest74 wrote:

Perhaps Canon "cripples" their cameras so users don't have to deal with the crap quality that you get with those 3rd-party TC's...

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:23 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5DIII Does Auto Focus >5.6 if using Live View

The old Sigma 2x is obviously pretty good, forced to stack it on the Canon vs the 1.4 Canon as I couldnt stack Canons. One might think for the Canon premium, I could at least do what the cheaper 3rd parties can do.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.