Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

silentwings
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

After updating to LR 4.3, I experienced extremely slow performance even after my using 1:1 for preview rendering when importing the images. When I moved to a new image, it still seems to need 2-3 secs for preview loading, and any basic adjustments at the first beginning needs another 2-3 secs to be viewed on the screen after changes have been made. I never experienced this when using LR 4.2, but now I don't know what those adobe guys are doing. They ruined this software!!!

I wonder if anyone else has the similar experience by using LR 4.3. My machine is Mac Pro 2.8GHz, dual-quad core 2008 model, shouldn't be a problem to run this from the hardware perspective. I just can't believe after upgrading to LR 4, I just can't stop complaining except for LR4.2, which is a relatively good update compared to the worst-ever LR4.0 and LR4.1.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:53 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

it is not your machine, it is the program, I am about to unistall 4.3 and go back to 4.2

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:17 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Your PC is from 2008?!!?
You can't expect a 5 year old computer to have a good performance.
I upgraded mine in December with all new hardware including SSD,yet it's still far from being fast. Previously it was the latest and greatest from 2011(veeery slow)

PS. I am running 4.2 so I can't comment on the slow performance with the 4.3.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:31 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

sgtbueno wrote:
it is not your machine, it is the program, I am about to unistall 4.3 and go back to 4.2

I am shooting with 6D, I am now stuck with LR 4.3.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

It doesn't matter as my CPU is idle 99% most of times, and the memory is large enough to handle LR and PS. The program only matters with CPU and memories, I don't see any problem to use a 2008 machine as it may be even better than some of the latest machines regarding the hardware.

DmitriM wrote:
Your PC is from 2008?!!?
You can't expect a 5 year old computer to have a good performance.
I upgraded mine in December with all new hardware including SSD,yet it's still far from being fast. Previously it was the latest and greatest from 2011(veeery slow)

PS. I am running 4.2 so I can't comment on the slow performance with the 4.3.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:39 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

4.3 was the fastest so far for me... ever.

Are you on 32bit?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:44 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

64bit all the time.

amonline wrote:
4.3 was the fastest so far for me... ever.

Are you on 32bit?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:45 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Go for an ssd, makes a HUGE difference for photo-editing and video!
Mac pro is retarded, you cannot expect good performance from that machine, my pc has 1 core I7 processor, 16gb ram, good graphics card and ssd's in raid0, runs very fast. But it's win8, which also makes a HUGE difference.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:01 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Mac Pros seem to have a bottleneck on storage. This is especially true of the older 2008 model. A modern MacBook Pro runs circles around the old dual quad core systems of 2008. That said, 64bit LR 4.3 is still pretty slow if you're comparing to 4.2 or Aperture. The difference is in the way the files are handled between the two versions. They need to add better buffering and predictive memory management IMO. This is only an issue on all Macs since the Windows version is completely different. Best to go back to 4.2 at this point.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:46 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

sgtbueno wrote:

I didn't run any controlled comparisons but in day-to-day use I didn't notice any difference between 4.2 and 4.3 on Windows.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

D. Diggler wrote:
I didn't run any controlled comparisons but in day-to-day use I didn't notice any difference between 4.2 and 4.3 on Windows.

It's about the same on Windows. The main difference is on the macs where the file handling changed. It may have something to do with Retina support but its decently nerfed between 4.2 and 4.3.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:31 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Make sure you have Time Machine set to exclude the .lrcat and lrpreviews files/folders. It make a noticeable difference.

Then you can try and trash your prefs file. Just make sure you move it and not delete it as this fix doesn't work for all.

If anything LR4.3 runs just a bit faster on my 2011 MBP than 4.2.

Gordon

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

I was thinking LR4 was pretty decent performance wise.... until I switched to my old LR3.6. What a huge difference. Now I feel LR4 is slow. Wish 3.6 would take 5d3 files.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:47 AM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Ghost wrote:
I was thinking LR4 was pretty decent performance wise.... until I switched to my old LR3.6. What a huge difference. Now I feel LR4 is slow. Wish 3.6 would take 5d3 files.

It will, just use the Adobe DNG tool to convert your RAW files into DNG files. Then you can use the older versions of Lightroom.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:00 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

silentwings wrote:
After updating to LR 4.3, I experienced extremely slow performance even after my using 1:1 for preview rendering when importing the images. When I moved to a new image, it still seems to need 2-3 secs for preview loading, and any basic adjustments at the first beginning needs another 2-3 secs to be viewed on the screen after changes have been made.

Tried the above on my Windows 7 machine. Moving to a new image takes 1 second for preview loading. Basic adjustments are instantaneous, with no lag.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

silentwings wrote:
my CPU is idle 99% most of times

Checked my CPU usage. Getting 70% usage on preview loading and 35% on basic adjustments.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:27 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Soooo this thread ended up causing me to update to 4.3 from 4.1 (I am stupid like that). Then I noticed missing camera profiles. I said eff it and opened LR3. And immediately felt like it was way faster and also easier to edit images with and I preferred the colors then as well. I don't think I'll be going back to LR4.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:19 AM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

The real awkward situation for me, as noted above, is my wedding images were shot with Canon 6D, and now only LR 4.3 supports 6D files, which sucks at present.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Soooo this thread ended up causing me to update to 4.3 from 4.1 (I am stupid like that). Then I noticed missing camera profiles. I said eff it and opened LR3. And immediately felt like it was way faster and also easier to edit images with and I preferred the colors then as well. I don't think I'll be going back to LR4.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:21 AM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

silentwings wrote:
The real awkward situation for me, as noted above, is my wedding images were shot with Canon 6D, and now only LR 4.3 supports 6D files, which sucks at present.

As I said previously. One option you can try is to convert your RAW files to DNG with Adobe's DNG converter tool.

You can then use those DNG files in earlier versions of Lightroom.

Go to:
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

And look for DNG Converter (currently 7.3).

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:26 AM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Thanks, I'll give a try ~~~

HappyCamp wrote:
As I said previously. One option you can try is to convert your RAW files to DNG with Adobe's DNG converter tool.

You can then use those DNG files in earlier versions of Lightroom.

Go to:
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

And look for DNG Converter (currently 7.3).

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:27 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password