Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

Anyone use desiccants to absorb moisture? I purchased a Pelican version that is reusable but it absorbed moisture that is around the area. Nothing was specific to my gear. I found BRNO dri+Cap. Anyone use this before and thoughts? I know some have dry cabinets but you can't bring that with you where ever you go.

If you have used this, have you tried using silica gels that comes with shoes?
http://brnollc.com/page15/files/big_instructions.jpg

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

These are kinda nifty.

Got one of these in my Bolton case. -
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1500D-Desiccant-Silica-1500-500-000/dp/B0018O035O/

Had it in there for 6+months and have only had to "dry" it once so far. Case seems pretty airtight.

Problem is, unless gear is in something that is airtight, the desiccant will always absorb moisture from the surrounding area.

I do see some gaskets in the pics. But how do they seal against the body and lenses is my question. If the caps seal onto the lenses, and body, using a gasket, this problem would be negated slightly. But just like opening a case, every time the cap is removed, moisture will be absorbed. It would also not be effective unless lenses and bodies were sealed well.

IMO, looks like a gimmick item. I'd rather go with a sealed case and our reusable desiccants knowing they work. And I have poor mans gear. No way I would trust these on thousands of dollars worth of gear.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

I store my gear in an auto-desiccant dry cabinet at home. Otherwise, I normally don't use desiccants.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:39 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

I'd be concerned about the packaging bursting and filling the lens with sand.

Also, unless you have the facility (and will) to regenerate them every day i doubt they are all that effective.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

I'm just not that anal. my gear is in use often so its rather less then useful. in my storage box I do have a few zorbits for when it is closed which is rare.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:47 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

Aaron D wrote:
These are kinda nifty.

Got one of these in my Bolton case. -
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1500D-Desiccant-Silica-1500-500-000/dp/B0018O035O/

Had it in there for 6+months and have only had to "dry" it once so far. Case seems pretty airtight.

Problem is, unless gear is in something that is airtight, the desiccant will always absorb moisture from the surrounding area.

I do see some gaskets in the pics. But how do they seal against the body and lenses is my question. If the caps seal onto the lenses, and body, using a gasket, this problem would be negated slightly. But just like opening a case, every
...Show more
That's the desiccant that I bought. I bought 2-3 and only used one.

I have the dri+cap and will be testing it and reviewing it. Wanted to see if anyone else got this or something similar. 8 gel packs for $7. I'm guessing how long the packs last depends on how much moisture there is at location

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:07 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

15Bit wrote:
I'd be concerned about the packaging bursting and filling the lens with sand.

Also, unless you have the facility (and will) to regenerate them every day i doubt they are all that effective.

Never seen these types "burst" unless you're handling them. With dri+crap holds the packs and when you do remove, looks like you're removing while its away from the lens.

Also, these don't regenerate where you stick it in the oven to dry. They're replaceable because they sell replacement packs.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

Why is it that whenever you create one of your "anyone use . . .?" threads it's linked to your website?

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

dcains wrote:
Why is it that whenever you create one of your "anyone use . . .?" threads it's linked to your website?

I'm trying to be less cynical... it's not working.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:19 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

dcains wrote:

Thats where I posted info about it. For your satisfaction, I removed the link

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

you really like the accessories.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:31 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

sjms wrote:
you really like the accessories.

I reviewed video game accessories in the past (still kind of do but the scene has died down) and I have a slew of them sitting in a box collecting dust. For whatever reason, I'm always looking for new products. My reviews have helped some manufacturers improve on their gear or items. It's also helped readers as well.

I guess I'm a gear whore.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

Humidity is at 22% right now inside. Do I need a desiccant?

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

1KIND wrote:
I reviewed video game accessories in the past (still kind of do but the scene has died down) and I have a slew of them sitting in a box collecting dust. For whatever reason, I'm always looking for new products. My reviews have helped some manufacturers improve on their gear or items. It's also helped readers as well.

I guess I'm a gear whore.

so essentially what you are is a review enthusiast.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

Silica gel gets "wet" and then ceases to function. It can be dried out and reused but the stuff is hazardous to health and so it's best not to use your food oven.

I used to use it by the bucket load at work years ago but I'm told they've switched to something else. I don't know the details.

For my use I have zorb-it pads but they will not fit in a tiny holder such as a lens cap. The advantage they have is that they because they try to maintain a specific humidity they dry themselves out on a dry day and soak up the moisture on a damp day and do that for years. Sounds like a good system but I have no long-term experience to comment on.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

The desiccant bag looks too small to be very useful.

EBH

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:58 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

EB-1 wrote:
The desiccant bag looks too small to be very useful.

EBH

There isnt much area attached to lens or camera body.. when I open it I'll measure the bags and see if its similar to the ones that comes with shoes.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

1KIND wrote:
I have the dri+cap and will be testing it and reviewing it. Wanted to see if anyone else got this or something similar. 8 gel packs for $7. I'm guessing how long the packs last depends on how much moisture there is at location

Normally one calculates the minimum moisture absorption rate needed based on the volume to be dried and initial humidity (total water) as well as the expected water vapor permeation rate. The total capacity may need to be higher than you think as it must absorb the initial water and then maintain the humidity for a specified duration at an acceptable level.

The most important issues here are the air volume and water vapor permeation rate of the camera or lens, which depends on how well it is sealed. I'm not sure how you will test the effectiveness because there will be a large range, especially for various sized lens.

EBH

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

This Dri-Cap is only useful in a sealed storage situation. But for that amount of money you're better off with larger packs of desiccant.

You put this out in the field. It can't absorb enough to make a difference because of the volume of air you're trying to remove.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:11 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any one use desiccant/silica gels?

mrgetalife wrote:
This Dri-Cap is only useful in a sealed storage situation. But for that amount of money you're better off with larger packs of desiccant.

You put this out in the field. It can't absorb enough to make a difference because of the volume of air you're trying to remove.

It looks like its only absorbing moisture that is trapped between the lens and cap and not what is outside.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.