Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Rickuz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

kewlcanon wrote:
Somebody in this forum has predicted that Canon will come with a high MP camera with a very low noise sensor and 5D III wll be phased out soon .

We can only hope. But somehow I doubt that the 5D3 will be phased out soon, at least not this year.

Canon know that would make a lot of 5D3-buyers rather angry. Surely not all of them, but many.

People just don't want their beloved new gear to be yesterday's news.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Am I wrong in thinking that Canon make more DSLRs than all other manufacturers combined?

If this is the case then I guess they have a somewhat better grasp of the market than the pundits on here give them credit for.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

anthonygh wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that Canon make more DSLRs than all other manufacturers combined?

If this is the case then I guess they have a somewhat better grasp of the market than the pundits on here give them credit for.

One could also point out that Apple is selling more tablets and smartphones than all the other manufacturers combined. Does that make their gear flawless and immune to criticism?

Hype is everything. Canon (and Apple) has truly managed to get on top of that.

I really don't care how many cameras Canon sells. That doesn't change the fact that their sensor tech is outdated and way behind the competition. But you go on cheering for their sales if that's what you like.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Rickuz wrote:
One could also point out that Apple is selling more tablets and smartphones than all the other manufacturers combined. Does that make their gear flawless and immune to criticism?

Hype is everything. Canon (and Apple) has truly managed to get on top of that.

I really don't care how many cameras Canon sells. That doesn't change the fact that their sensor tech is outdated and way behind the competition. But you go on cheering for their sales if that's what you like.

Not according the the news at CNN on TV. They said that Samsung past them a rather long time ago. And that was Samsung alone, not all the other brands

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Not according the the news at CNN on TV. They said that Samsung past them a rather long time ago. And that was Samsung alone, not all the other brands

Well well, this just makes my point so much stronger. It proves that even giants can be toppled. Perhaps Canon will share the same fate in a near future.

Remember Kodak?

Anyway, that is not the point here. The point is that criticism of Canon's aging sensor tech can't be silenced by waving around with their sales numbers. It can only be silenced by proper R&D.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

kewlcanon wrote:
Somebody in this forum has predicted that Canon will come with a high MP camera with a very low noise sensor and 5D III wll be phased out soon .

Correct, this was me! IMO the best FF DSLR camera decision Canon did last year was the introduction of the 6D as more affordable entry FF model which was missing in Canon's line. I personally consider the 5D III and the 1Dx as disappointment in regard to the sensor build in. When the 5D III came out, I was convinced that this camera would be soon replaced by a better model with similar sensor specs compared to the D800. It didn't happen and the gap remains still now. I am still convinced whenever Canon comes with a successor of the 5D III and a better sensor (assuming that the AF and other good specs of the 5D III won't be crippled again) that the 5D III will then be forgotten soon.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:06 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

retrofocus wrote:
Correct, this was me! IMO the best FF DSLR camera decision Canon did last year was the introduction of the 6D as more affordable entry FF model which was missing in Canon's line. I personally consider the 5D III and the 1Dx as disappointment in regard to the sensor build in. When the 5D III came out, I was convinced that this camera would be soon replaced by a better model with similar sensor specs compared to the D800. It didn't happen and the gap remains still now. I am still convinced whenever Canon comes with a successor of the
...Show more

The best decision by Canon was to add a working AF on 5D series. You said 5D III will be forgotten soon after it's replaced ... that's somewhat normal news to me .

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

retrofocus wrote:
Correct, this was me! IMO the best FF DSLR camera decision Canon did last year was the introduction of the 6D as more affordable entry FF model which was missing in Canon's line. I personally consider the 5D III and the 1Dx as disappointment in regard to the sensor build in. When the 5D III came out, I was convinced that this camera would be soon replaced by a better model with similar sensor specs compared to the D800. It didn't happen and the gap remains still now. I am still convinced whenever Canon comes with a successor of the
...Show more

+1

Canoun COULD release the new camera as a "5D3H" (or some other name). Same body and features as the 5D3, but with a new high resolution, high DR sensor. In addition, they could cripple the speed a little bit, just to make the difference clearer, and so that the sporters and wedding photogs won't complain.

I'd pay 4 - 5K for that one!

This way, we'd all win.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:36 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

So tell me:

1. How confident are you Canon could release the camera of your dream ?. You can use 6D performance (DR) as the barometer.
2. How confident are you people will splurge 4-5K for the camera of your dream considering D800 is around $2700 ?. Think about how much can Canon sell this kind of camera.

Rickuz wrote:
+1

Canoun COULD release the new camera as a "5D3H" (or some other name). Same body and features as the 5D3, but with a new high resolution, high DR sensor. In addition, they could cripple the speed a little bit, just to make the difference clearer, and so that the sporters and wedding photogs won't complain.

I'd pay 4 - 5K for that one!

This way, we'd all win.

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Rickuz wrote:
Sven Jeppesen wrote:
What's a Kodak?

What's a telephone busy signal?

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rickuz
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

kewlcanon wrote:
So tell me:

1. How confident are you Canon could release the camera of your dream ?. You can use 6D performance (DR) as the barometer.
2. How confident are you people will splurge 4-5K for the camera of your dream considering D800 is around $2700 ?. Think about how much can Canon sell this kind of camera.

1. Not very confident. I think they will release their new sensor in a chunky 1D-type body, and charge 7 - 8k for it, and thus it will fail in competing against the D800.
2. I only stated what I am prepared to pay for a "5D3 on steroids", not what it should or should not cost.

Btw, I think it is funny that you refer to it as "my dream camera", when there are actually thousands of canonites waiting for a camera like that.

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 02:45 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:32 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

gabimaster wrote:
We all are waiting that Canon to match the DR from their sensors to the Sony's sensors. But guess what , is a new player in "town" :Toshiba. According to DXO Labs who just released Nikon D5200's review, the noise performance and DR from Toshiba's APS-C sensor is even better than that from Sony sensors. I guess everybody is catching up with Sony , everybody BUT CANON.

If like a HUGE number of sports shooters you use 1600-3200 Canon lead Sony sensors in every area.
Combine that with the current best AF system in the world combined with the lightest and sharpest glass and im sorry but Canon are in front in one of there most important markets...sports and action which also translates into nature.
They are well in front..

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

While I agree with many here responding to your theme, to me the inspiration comes not from the camera but from the user. The camera, no matter what the specs, innovations... whatever are, is but the tool that invokes the inspiration for me to photograph the subject aka inspiration.

I responding I guess I can see that the camera can be an inspiration to an inspiration.

I recently was published in Shutterbug mag in 2012 with a photo using my 20D from 7 years ago.
Dan

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:53 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

I don't know if it's five, ten, a thousand or a million, I was responding to your post thus it's your dream camera.

Rickuz wrote:

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:02 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

dehowie wrote:
If like a HUGE number of sports shooters you use 1600-3200 Canon lead Sony sensors in every area.
Combine that with the current best AF system in the world combined with the lightest and sharpest glass and im sorry but Canon are in front in one of there most important markets...sports and action which also translates into nature.
They are well in front..

Extremes on either end are just noise. Both systems are very capable in the right hands. Indicating one system is "well" in front of the other is just fanboism.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:03 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Rickuz wrote:
1. Not very confident. I think they will release their new sensor in a chunky 1D-type body, and charge 7 - 8k for it, and thus it will fail in competing against the D800.
2. I only stated what I am prepared to pay for a "5D3 on steroids", not what it should or should not cost.

Btw, I think it is funny that you refer to it as "my dream camera", when there are actually thousands of canonites waiting for a camera like that.

+1. To answer kewlcanon, I would be willing to pay a max. $2800 for a new high MP FF 5D series body regarding what sort of competition is now in the field. The $2800 include that Canon comes out with something new beating the competition. If this is not the case and the sensor is similar to the current D800 specs, my limit would be $2200 at most, likely less. The longer it takes, the more this initial price will drop.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:05 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Honestly, it will be a while before Canon can get what you want as far as feature and price. I, myself, haven't upgraded my D700. I'd like to see something that truly replace D700 and it's not D800 or D600.

retrofocus wrote:
+1. To answer kewlcanon, I would be willing to pay a max. $2800 for a new high MP FF 5D series body regarding what sort of competition is now in the field. The $2800 include that Canon comes out with something new beating the competition. If this is not the case and the sensor is similar to the current D800 specs, my limit would be $2200 at most, likely less. The longer it takes, the more this initial price will drop.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:14 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

kewlcanon wrote:
The best decision by Canon was to add a working AF on 5D series. You said 5D III will be forgotten soon after it's replaced ... that's somewhat normal news to me .

1st big Canon mistake here: not to add the better already existing 7D AF system in the 5D MkII camera when it was released in 2008.

2nd big mistake: rest on the leadership in the FF field with the successful 5D II and wait 4 years to release a 5D II upgraded with very good AF (called 5D III). It would have worked out for Canon perfectly I am sure if Nikon wouldn't have surprised us all with the D800(E) and its price tag.

3rd big mistake: waiting too long to innovate in new sensor technology. I didn't give up my hope yet that Canon comes out with something good in the near future, but latest rumors don't make me confident. Canon might even leave the FF leadership position behind and focus even more towards videographers. Latest Canon lens releases point in this direction.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

I could care less about DR. I care waaaaaaaay more about how the camera functions and performs, I do not pixel peep.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

kewlcanon wrote:
Honestly, it will be a while before Canon can get what you want as far as feature and price. I, myself, haven't upgraded my D700. I'd like to see something that truly replace D700 and it's not D800 or D600.

I agree that the D700 is a very nice and round FF package and an upgrade from it to the D800 might have limited value depending what kind of photography you are doing.
Yep, rumors point in this direction that we won't see such camera from Canon soon but more an expensive 1Ds high MP/high DR FF camera in which I am personally just not interested in since I don't need all the 1D features.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:18 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password