Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

gabimaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

We all are waiting that Canon to match the DR from their sensors to the Sony's sensors. But guess what , is a new player in "town" :Toshiba. According to DXO Labs who just released Nikon D5200's review, the noise performance and DR from Toshiba's APS-C sensor is even better than that from Sony sensors. I guess everybody is catching up with Sony , everybody BUT CANON.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:01 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Panasonic and Samsung are struggling to catch up with Sony as well

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Competition is good. It gives us choices. If Canon is not fulfilling your needs other companies are there to pick up the slack.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #4 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Toshiba? Well that was unexpected, but yeah, this is indeed good for the competition. It will put more preassure on the R&D of each company, especially Canon's!

I'm thinking that the 5D3 product cycle will be very short, due to the recent advancement in sensor tech. Canon will be forced to speed things up.

2013 - 2014 will be interesting for sure!

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 01:29 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

The one dark raw image I've seen from the D5200 indicates it has horizontal banding in the shadows, occurring at least 2-3 stops earlier than current EXMOR sensors. If that sample is representative of the sensor then the effective perceptual dynamic range is actually a below Sony's EXMOR.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

My own "inspiration" for Canon comes from many factors not one spec.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #7 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

gasrocks wrote:
My own "inspiration" for Canon comes from many factors not one spec.

I see your point, but still I wonder what you'd think if a spec that is 'very important' to you, was left without any upgrade, generation after generation? ..Perhaps 9 point AF in your new 5D3? Or how about 2 - 3 FPS shooting speed?

I'm sure there is some spec that would make you whine like a siren. At least on the inside.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Rickuz wrote:
I'm sure there is some spec that would make you whine like a siren.

Only if you confuse "want" with "need" and think that a camera company owes you upgrades at your dictated price, as it seems the more vocal people do.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #9 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Monito +1. Absolutely agree. Some people expect to shoot under ridiculously low-light situations and get the perfect camera - often expecting this to come at the price of a point and shoot camera. In over 20 years of shooting professionally, the 5D3 is the best SLR I've ever owned - for my needs, anyway.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:43 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Toshiba are making sensors to Nikons specification for less than sony will make them for is all I can think.

Ok Canon have lost the lead on sensor tech but what we have is more than adequate for good photography and canon are making some fantastic all round cameras.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

People forget, no one has caught up to Canon's lens line-up and for me it's more about the glass and Canon also leads in AF again IMO. So I agree they are behind on sensor tech, but as an all around package they are miles ahead of Sony and still in front of Nikon.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:33 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #12 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Pixel Perfect wrote:
People forget, no one has caught up to Canon's lens line-up and for me it's more about the glass and Canon also leads in AF again IMO. So I agree they are behind on sensor tech, but as an all around package they are miles ahead of Sony and still in front of Nikon.

For my work this is exactly my feeling, although some people won't believe it for some reason.

I understand its dependent on your work though..

More competition is overall a good thing and I hope all of the DR improvements make canon sort it out.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

darn, the four or five 5d iii's that i have will be obsolete . oh well, i will still have a good year!

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

I don't see anything wrong with the 5DIII as a complete package. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but people should really try one for a good amount of time before they decide if it is any good or not.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #15 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Agree with all of those points plus the addition of excellent ergonomics and general 'usability'. I've used different Canons from the 300D-1D-40D-5D-7D and they all feel 'right' in my hands and the added features over the years have made them very easy to work with, live view being one of the best.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

IMO the 5DM3 is about as close to perfect an all-around DSLR body can be. I say the D4 is modestly closer to perfect but that's $2k more and too big and loud for some uses.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #17 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Quite honestly I disagree! We have seen Nikon, Tamron and Sigma focussing on OS VC and VR lenses, starting with the great 16-35 VR going to the Tamron 24-70 and then the new 70-200VR you have an unmatched quality package combined with the D800. I also have to admit that Nikon's flash systems have worked great for years now.

IMO Canon is tiptoeing around the best possible package to form their market, like we can see with the double 24-70 proposition or the 5D3 which hasnt a top rated sensor.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #18 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Hulot wrote:
Quite honestly I disagree! We have seen Nikon, Tamron and Sigma focussing on OS VC and VR lenses, starting with the great 16-35 VR going to the Tamron 24-70 and then the new 70-200VR you have an unmatched quality package combined with the new D800. I also have to admit that Nikon's flash systems have worked great for years now.

IMO Canon is tiptoeing around the best possible package to form their market, like we can see with the double 24-70 proposition or the 5D3 which hasnt a top rated sensor.

The point with Canon is the entire range of lenses. Canon was the first to make a range of excellent f4 L zooms for those of us with lower budgets. Long teles are amazing, tilt-shift are the best available, 50/85 primes are great, macro is great, EF-S lenses are very very good, 135 f2 is great, 85 1.8 and 100 f2 are amazing gems for the price, etc etc. Sure the other companies have some great lenses, likely better than the equivalent Canon version, but they don't match the full range and overall quality of the Canon lens lineup. Canon is also introducing and replacing more lenses over the last few years than any other camera company, they are investing a lot in the lens lineup.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Pixel Perfect wrote:

The Canon lenses are the only items which keep me with Canon currently. Certainly not the recent developments in regard to cameras and also not in regard to most new lens versions.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #20 · Lack of inspiration for CANON ???

Over on NSN, there is an "editor's pick" image of two loons and their nest.

Beautiful image - was taken with a Canon 20D. Reminded me why I kept my 30D when I added the 5DII.

G

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password