Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less ...

vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Hi all, just trying to get some feedback from D4 users.

I am a canon user. I use a 1Dx and 5d mark iii and absolutely love them. Their AF is super fast, and they consistently produce tack sharp images in all situations. I saw this comparison online.

http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4-compare-wedding-photographers/

Really made me wonder if this is true. I'm mainly talking about two things, the DETAIL and the AF speed.

If you go to the "autofocus consistency" section, you can see side by side shots done with 2 different lenses at similar settings. The 1dx just seems to have so much more detail/sharpness.
...Show more

With regards to the question you stated in the Subject.

The answer is No.

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:15 PM
DavidC83

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I've had my d4 for about 2 months and I am simply thrilled with it. The af is fast and accurate under all kinds of light. I shoot with the 70-200vr 2 and the 24-70 and both are silly sharp and required no MA .. I've had a 1D4,1Ds3,5d2,5d3 with all the good L Lenses and the D4 is my favorite of all of them and the reason I sold my canon gear to just keep 1 system...

A lot of a cameras af has to do with the lens attached to it and the D4 and 24-70 combo is one of the fastest focusing combos I've ever used.

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Sambru
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

bilalrafi wrote:
This is my second week with a D4 (upgraded from D3s), so far the AF consistency is accurate on all my lenses (no mAF tuning needed). Image detail is very good and I agree to a comment above that if a sample image is showing problems in detail, its more of an AF adjustment issue.

Cannot comment on 1Dx as I haven't used one, but its hard for me to believe the tests shown on the website mentioned by OP. Considering my own excellent experience with D4.

I as well My D4 works just great - I have been shooting minor hockey no problems with focus it is fast & accurate just a great camera that works well & feels great.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:50 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I had to check I hadn't clicked on an archived thread accidently. Didn't these "my-camera-is-better-than-your-camera" threads stop a couple of years ago.

Anyway, the D4 is an amazing bit of kit regardless of whatever trolling goes on.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
zesto
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I don't know what it's called by psychologists, apart from ego, but many people have this illogical attitude that everything they buy is the best, when often it's no where near that. Eg, they buy a Honda Civic and it's the best car made, better than any Merc, BMW or any other car on the planet. They buy a Gitzo tripod and it's the best, better than a RRS or even a Sachtler or Miller. They buy a RRS ballhead and it's the best even though they've never tried a Markins, Arca Swiss or a Burzynski.

Then there are those who take it a step further and feel a deep need to denigrate those products which are in competition in the market to the product they own.

Human nature, strange isn't it?

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:53 PM
chefboyarlee
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I LOVE my D4. I thought that the D3s was my favorite camera of all time and I've had the D800E, D700, D300, 5D2, and 1DS3 before that. The D4 is the best of the bunch. Having made the switch from Canon to Nikon the one thing that I've learned is that each camera maker has highs and lows. Right now, the 1Dx is probably a slightly better camera than the D4. It's also more expensive. This was not the case in the past in my opinion as the D3s was better than anything Canon had. I love my Nikon lenses and I am not in the least bit inclined to switch to Canon. If you're always looking for the best, then you'll never be happy and will be forced to bounce back and forth constantly between manufacturers. All at a cost. I love my D4 and I'm here to stay.

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:09 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

chefboyarlee wrote:
I I love my D4 and I'm here to stay.

Until the D5 comes along.

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:35 AM
rxgolf
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

chefboyarlee wrote:
I LOVE my D4. I thought that the D3s was my favorite camera of all time and I've had the D800E, D700, D300, 5D2, and 1DS3 before that. The D4 is the best of the bunch. Having made the switch from Canon to Nikon the one thing that I've learned is that each camera maker has highs and lows. Right now, the 1Dx is probably a slightly better camera than the D4. It's also more expensive. This was not the case in the past in my opinion as the D3s was better than anything Canon had. I love my Nikon
...Show more

Yes, the constant switching portrays insanity in my book!!
Greg

PS: I liked the 1Dx better than my D4, so I sold the x and have traded for second D4 to see if it was a fluke :-)). And every word you said is spot on.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Photorph

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

This thread got bumped again! I thought it was done. Well after playing around more with a friends d4 I realized it actually has some advantages. Biggest one is focusing in low light, One 1dx has a very difficult time focusing in ai servo in low tungsten light (eg poorly lit reception hall). It seems like the one-shot AF is much better than the ai servo in the 1dx, Whereas in the Nikon there is no difference between the continuous and single autofocus mode. The D4 locks focus without any hesitation in any light, and in any autofocus mode. The ability of the Nikon D4 to focus in low light has baffled and impressed me, There is quite a big difference between d4 and 1dx in terms of low light af in the d4's advantage.

And for the record, the D4 is just as sharp as the 1DX. I now know for a fact that the test I mentioned in my very first post was flawed in some way.

After having personally seen both those cameras and playing around with them, they are both great. I give the edge to the Nikon for lower light shooting, and the edge to the Canon for Overall speed in good light.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:15 AM
chefboyarlee
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

pjheller wrote:
Until the D5 comes along.

Yes but I'm staying with NIKON!

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

woos
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Let's be honest here...there's a much bigger difference in ergonomics than there is in image quality. Well unless you shoot jpeg. The Canon 1dx and 5d3 jpegs look so much better than Nikon d4 and d800 jpegs. Again, in my opinion.

One big advantage of the D4 is base ISO dynamic range. Quite a lot more DR, close to the exmor sensors. Damn good reason to stay Nikon if you ever use ISO 100!

What the 1dx/5d3 have over Nikon: 400mm 5.6L, 100-400L, 300mm F4L IS, 70-300mm L. And a light 500mm f4. =p

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:51 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I thought the 70-300L was just a 70-300 non-L in disguise?

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

woos wrote:
Let's be honest here...there's a much bigger difference in ergonomics than there is in image quality. Well unless you shoot jpeg. The Canon 1dx and 5d3 jpegs look so much better than Nikon d4 and d800 jpegs. Again, in my opinion.

One big advantage of the D4 is base ISO dynamic range. Quite a lot more DR, close to the exmor sensors. Damn good reason to stay Nikon if you ever use ISO 100!

What the 1dx/5d3 have over Nikon: 400mm 5.6L, 100-400L, 300mm F4L IS, 70-300mm L. And a light 500mm f4. =p

another perception that is but a perception.

and now that the OP is satisfied after real world experience, rather then reliance on the www peanut gallery of self proclaimed "experts", this should be done.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:12 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

The 1Dx has 12 fps in bright light (under certain conditions), very fast AF and an adequate buffer (but no illumination of the selected AF point/box). So the 1Dx is likely the King for ample light sports shooting and for BIF with more lightweight and modern Great Whites. The D4 has fast, reliable low light and tungsten AF, a huge buffer and well marked AF boxes in dim or no light-so it is likely the low light action king.

I use my D4, with no longer than a 200mm F2.0 lens, for stage lit Flamenco dancers. I never shoot JPEGS (due to wide variations in tungsten/LED lighting). So, for my work, I have the "best" camera. However, there are no "best for every use" cameras/lenses. Only some tools better for the specific job and posts on this forum help us all to choose the best for our own needs.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:33 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
This thread got bumped again! I thought it was done. Well after playing around more with a friends d4 I realized it actually has some advantages. Biggest one is focusing in low light, One 1dx has a very difficult time focusing in ai servo in low tungsten light (eg poorly lit reception hall). It seems like the one-shot AF is much better than the ai servo in the 1dx, Whereas in the Nikon there is no difference between the continuous and single autofocus mode. The D4 locks focus without any hesitation in any light, and in any autofocus mode. The
...Show more

Insert infinite head banging icons

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I give credit where credit is due. through actual experience the OP came to the same conclusion that was for the most part what many have been stating all along and then admitted to it. better then some around here.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:02 AM
zesto
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

sjms wrote:
I give credit where credit is due. through actual experience the OP came to the same conclusion that was for the most part what many have been stating all along and then admitted to it. better then some around here.

+1

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:17 AM
lankyelectric
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

THE END

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
There is quite a big difference between d4 and 1dx in terms of low light af in the d4's advantage.

What lenses were you using on the D4 here?

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Photorph

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Sigma 35 mm 1.4 on my 1dx, and 85mm 1.4 G on my friend's D4. He does have the sigma 35mm 1.4 ordered for the D4 so that will be coming in for him as soon as it's in stock. I am pretty confident though that regardless of the lens the D4 performs better in single AF mode in low light and can lock focus in much lower light... and in continuous/Ai servo mode the difference I found was big in low light. Where the 1dx would hunt, the D4 would lock w/o hesitation. D4 would also lock onto subjects with much lower contrast. The visibility of the AF points is also MUCH better with the constantly lit points.

Even though I love my 1dx, I would prefer the D4 when shooting in places like a wedding reception. This is based on my personal experience with the cameras. I was thinking of making a video comparison between the two since there aren't a lot out there, and the comparison in my original post is flawed and even fooled me into thinking the D4 is far behind the 1dx.

Seems like this thread keeps getting bumped. As I stated before, my final conclusion was the D4 is amazing and produces ridiculously sharp images. I'd be happy with either the 1dx or D4.

I do think the D4 is the only camera in Nikon that I would love to buy though, given all the oil/dust issues with d600 and the left side AF issues with d800. But that's a different topic.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:19 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password