Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · C&C: U5 Soccer

keoni068
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Thank you for taking a moment of your time to lend some advice to an aspiring sports photographer. As I type, I am filled with a bit of fear, as I've seen some people ripped to shreds when they've posted subpar pictures, but I've come to the realization that I must put myself out there for critiquing to further my growth. I am NOT a professional. I am merely a father who wants to improve his skills to capture quality memories for his 5, 3, and 1 year old. I have many years of sports ahead of me, so I would like to learn and grow as quickly as possible.

With that said, my daughter's soccer games are at 10am, which creates quite a lighting challenge due to the extreme sun and consequent shadows. The other challenge is that there are 8 fields that are extremely close together, which means everywhere you look there are people, chairs, umbrellas, etc. I would love input on lighting, composition, etc.

Thanks for your time, and all the best!

© keoni068 2013

© keoni068 2013

© keoni068 2013

© keoni068 2013

© keoni068 2013

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:23 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Great shots. It can be hard to get action shots from younger people, but you did a great job at it. Really like #3.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C: U5 Soccer

keoni068: Welcome. You've done well with these. As I look at them, the only things that comes to mind are framing and cropping. Move the frame up a smidgen in your first shot so the one player's head isn't cut off (same for the arm of the player on the right) and you've created a very nice sense of motion with this (it's very nice as it is). I might crop some off the sides in your second shot, just to bring attention a bit more toward the action. Same definitely goes for #3, since the two standing players on either side add nothing to the wonderful anticipation created by the out-of-focus thrower and the player awaiting the throw. Same (trim the sides) for #4. Last shot is where framing comes in again--move it a bit to the right. But technically, these look great, and you've captured some great action. These are way beyond beginner level photos, so my suggestions are for mere tweaks to offer slight improvements to an already strong set. Thanks for sharing your photos, and keep posting!

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Welcome to the forum keoni068! These are not bad at all, in fact, well exposed, sharp, a ball present and you've already started to shoot with a smaller dof (f/3.5) to help blur background and concentrate on the action. I'd say you have already progressed above the average crowd.

Russ' comments regarding the negative space in photos is spot on. You want to draw your viewers into the action. Extra space around it serves to dilute the action within the frame. Reducing it makes each frame stronger. In addition, always remember, you cannot get low enough when trying to capture munchkins at play At this age level its on your butt or belly so the frame doesn't have that awkward (and unpleasing) down angle perspective. It's importance amplifies as the action comes closer to you. In all, a very good set.

Keep shooting and posting, it gets better... and, oh yes, start saving money. Bigger fields demand larger, fast glass

Regards,
Matt

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C&C: U5 Soccer

These are some great shots. Russ hit the nail on the head with his take on the photos themselves.

The only thing that I would add on is that you may want to shoot from a much lower angle. Especially with little kids, shooting from above them makes them look small, but if you shoot from your knees, or even from the ground, I think you would get better results. A right angle finder may be a good investment.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Looks like Matt and I were typing at the same time and had the same thoughts... too bad he beat me to it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Thank you all SO much for taking the time to comment. I greatly appreciate the advice, and I will do my best to put your wisdom in to practice at her next game!

Russ: I appreciate your comments on framing. My thought process was to place my daughter, the one with the colorful ponytail, in the "third" of the image to draw the attention to her, but I see how dismembering the other girls makes for an unattractive shot.

Schlotz/Elan: I guess I better stop whining about the wet grass and get down low! That's a perspective I would have never considered but makes perfect sense. It will hopefully make these little ones larger than life.

I attempted to re-crop the previously posted images. May I ask if you think they've improved?

Thanks again everyone! I am very grateful!

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Yes to all, except for maybe the last one. Looking at it a bit more closely I notice that it could use a little more leveling, its slightly tilted downward to the right, see the roof line or backstop in the background. I can see the elements you are attempting to use, not sure the last player on left or the orange cone really add much. Without them you can re-crop to what I believe would be a stronger composition.

Matt

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Thank you for the quick response Matt!

Good eye catching the leveling. I will fix that and keep that in mind for future shots.

Regarding the orange cone, I'd love to hear a little more feedback.
My thought process: This image is one of my daughter scoring a goal, which a goal for U5 is kicking the ball between 2 cones, of which one is captured in the shot. Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C&C: U5 Soccer

The difference here is along the line of the "shooter" vs the "viewer". Important to the father for sure without a doubt. We've all been there. From a pure action photo perspective (IMO) it is too far removed from the action to lend value. Now if the frame was taken later in the series with the group closer in so it becomes part of the action then including it would make more sense.

It's like getting a header shot except the ball is 6-8 feet off of the player's head vs getting a frame with it being within inches. It boils down to timing.

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · C&C: U5 Soccer

With regard to your re-cropped versions, yes, they look better. Second-to-last would be fine with a bit more breathing room, and I could go either way with the cone in the last shot. It's one of those awkward captures that doesn't quite lend itself to the perfect crop, and that's fine because you've captured everything you wanted to capture and it's a strong image regardless of its perfect crop potential.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:06 PM
dweverett

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · C&C: U5 Soccer

I don't have a ton to add but they are good pictures -- especially given how young the kids are. I've read comments from Russ and others that it gets easier to shoot as the level of athlete improves. I've definately seen it with my son. While I'm sure my timing has improved too it's a lot easier to get them battling for a header when you have 2 seconds to setup becausing of the booming punt vs at the age of your daughter's team where the only headers are accidents with no warning for anyone .

As others metioned shooting low helps -- but I actually thought it looked like you were probably down fairly low.

I really like the recropped version of your daughter waiting on the throw-in.

Keep shooting and posting!
Bill

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:24 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · C&C: U5 Soccer

these are some nice shots. Question, how did you manage to separate the players from the grass. Grass looks as tall as the players. JK. I have 2 years to go for my Grandson to start playing. I get to start all over again with pictures from U5 till ? Keep up the good work.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:24 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · C&C: U5 Soccer

Thank you so much everyone!

I really appreciate the feedback. The FM community is such a joy!

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.