Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

JohnPinette

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Nice series as always Russ! Was happy to see Georgia solid Beam routine. I'm going to have to get out there to see her and the team compete one of these days!

John

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:55 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Dayum.... Crystal clear and the lighting you were able to capture in addition to the timing is off the chain good. Those angles are saweet! There is something to say for shadows that help an image and every one of yours adds dimension to the composition. I can only think of one word for these and that's graceful!
Manny

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Thanks, Chris.

Geoffrey: I did see a couple of photographers I hadn't seen before but I didn't have a chance to meet them. Wish I would have known ahead of time there would be someone shooting the meet who you know. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate it.

Vancouver47: Very kind of you to say. Thank you. The amount of light and its temperature does vary around the arena, so I've figured out the closest approximation to an accurate Kelvin value for each event area and that's what I set, then tweak as necessary in post. Same for ISO, which varies between 3200 and 5000. I've never used auto ISO, and I'd be reluctant to try it since I wouldn't want to give up control over my settings to the camera, but the accuracy of my manual exposure settings does vary from moment to moment, so who knows, it might work.

Thanks, John! Georgia won the all-around competition at this meet and was named the Pac-12 gymnast of the week for her performance. She's a lot of fun to watch. It would be great if you could make it out to a meet. I think you'd be impressed by the setting.

Manny: Thanks for the feedback. Grace, beauty and power--that's what I'm after, so I appreciate your one word.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:45 AM
scorpio1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Great stuff Russ. Not much more I can say.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Russ had I known I would have let you know! He is a parent of one of the WVU girls and didn't know he traveled with the team He has a decent kit, couple of Mark IVs last I knew. Shot with him a few times last year when shooting with John Cheng.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:05 AM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Really nice series Russ. Well done as usual.
Question for you?
Which of the three lenses used here (35 ,50 & 70-200) do you feel gives you constant IQ. To me from the screen samples here, the 70- 200 ll seams to put out really nice images, but we aren't looking at them at 100 %.

I know you use a 200 L as well at times, I just can't remember which one F2 or 1.8.

Andy

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

scorpio1: Thank you.

Geoffrey: 2 degrees of John Cheng. I'm pretty sure I know which of the unfamiliar photographers you're talking about. I did have a chance to say hi in passing, and he looked well rigged. Cool that he is able to follow his daughter.

Andy: Thanks for your comments. Good question about the lenses. At the wider end, I think the 35 is a bit better than the 50 only because I think AF works a tad more consistently with the 35. On the other hand, the perspective of the 50 probably provides an advantage over the 35. The 200 I own is the f/1.8 version. Although as you point out the 70-200 does a fine job, I just don't think it compares to the 200 prime for those shots toward the 200mm range of the zoom. Yet the zoom offers undeniably convenient flexibility, especially for shooting floor. So I'm very torn, because it's not simply a matter of IQ but also which lens is more likely to give me more well-framed, in-focus shots, and then, of those shots, which am I going to be most satisfied with?

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:35 PM
olddeadhead
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

So happy to see all that support (fans in the stands) for womens sports!!

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:51 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

Russ Isabella wrote:
scorpio1: Thank you.

Geoffrey: 2 degrees of John Cheng. I'm pretty sure I know which of the unfamiliar photographers you're talking about. I did have a chance to say hi in passing, and he looked well rigged. Cool that he is able to follow his daughter.

Andy: Thanks for your comments. Good question about the lenses. At the wider end, I think the 35 is a bit better than the 50 only because I think AF works a tad more consistently with the 35. On the other hand, the perspective of the 50 probably provides an advantage over the 35.
...Show more

Have you tried the 85 1.8 on the x yet? I haven't that I can think of. Wondering how it holds up to the 50 and 35?

Andy

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

I didn't see anyone mention no.7 in the first set. Love the angle and alignment you got with her body. They're all good but I really like that perspective.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:12 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

I really like the sequence, it creates a story and I love the way you have captured all the shots

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gymnastics: Utah's First Home Meet [More Images]

olddeadhead: Yeah, I agree. They've been setting records for attendance for women's NCAA sports for years. It's a fantastic atmosphere.

Andy: I suspect the 85 1.8 would be great, since it has rocked on every other 1D body. But the only time I've used an 85 with the x, it was the 85 f/1.2L II, since I'd heard it performs very well with this new body. I'd have to agree--fast and accurate. But I'm sure I'll get around to trying the 1.8 before long.

andyz: Thank you. That's an angle/perspective I plan to go after a bit more. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, sozypozy.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password