Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

We never email FM members asking them to login. NEVER!

For the payment transactions, NEVER use bank money transfer because it's not insured. Once you sent the money this way, it's gone and you can't get it back.
We advise using regular Paypal or Credit card ONLY.

=======================

It just came to my attention that there is a phishing email targeted to some FM members.
Pretending it's from fredmiranda.com, the email asks for your forum login info.
NEVER provide your login info. If you did, please edit your profile and change your password asap.

If you already logged in using this fake email, please contact me immediately via PM. We need to change your credentials.

Unfortunately, this is a very common phishing scam and it is impossible for me to stop it. It can happen to any site or corporation.
Here are some examples:
https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/privacy_security/fraud/page/fraud_examples

=====================

Here is a copy of the phishing email being sent:

"Hi FMer,

Our servers have recently been upgraded, to provide you with a better forum and service. Your account on Fred Miranda Forums has been temporary deactivated Kindly login to reactivate your account.

To login Click on the link below:

http://fredmiranda/forum/login.php?do=stpw

Our Upload and Sell membership is a great way to buy and sell your gear and stay involved in our photography community.

Check back with us frequently as we update our pages with the latest photography news, photo assignments, discount codes for memberships, software and more!

Thanks for your understanding,

All the best,
Fred
https://www.fredmiranda.com"

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
gotak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Not sure if people already post this but I got an email saying you had to login again to Fredmiranda due to a forum upgrade. Clearly a phishing attempt but just thought I'd let everyone know.

Always check the links before you click on them. And disable JAVA you don't need it and Oracle hasn't been the best at security.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

No, I don't receive those notifications.

EBH

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

I got the same email today, I let Fred know about it. It looks pretty legit, minus the bad URL link.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

"Fred Miranda

5:18 AM (7 hours ago)

to fredmiranda
Hi FMer,

Our servers have recently been upgraded, to provide you with a better forum and service. Your account on Fred Miranda Forums has been temporary deactivated Kindly login to reactivate your account.

To login Click on the link below:

http://fredmiranda/forum/login.php?do=stpw

Our Upload and Sell membership is a great way to buy and sell your gear and stay involved in our photography community.

Check back with us frequently as we update our pages with the latest photography news, photo assignments, discount codes for memberships, software and more!

Thanks for your understanding,

All the best,
Fred
https://www.fredmiranda.com"

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Yep. I got it too.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
sublimesun1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Unfortunately I was a victim of the scam. Who is best to contact for support? I tried user fredmiranda already using this freshly created account.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

If you still have access to the account, change the password ASAP.

EBH

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
sublimesun1

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

I did up until this evening and now i cant get into my account. I had to create a new account

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Also change the passwords and user names of any other accounts you have with the same UN / PW.

I stopped posting to FM and took my web site off line for five months recently because dealing with the spam and phishing (and the trolls here) had become a hassle. Spam dropped off to near zero. But within hours of starting posting again (before putting my web site back up) I got spam e-mail in Russian and photography related phishing attempts. I changed the mail account on the web site and know it's not generating the spam.

FM creates 15 third party tracking cookies in addition to the one used for logins, even when block third party cookies is selected in Safari. In addition to the cookies you also get tracked with "bugs"; invisible or 1 pixel image files coded into the pages and loaded from the sites tracking sites you. For example, this page has 8 of them, as revealed the by "Ghostery" app which also blocks them. Unlike cookies which you can see and purge manually bugs are are totally under the radar. I understand the need for the tracking revenue stream, I just don't like it much.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:03 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

I didn't get the email, but I did get this weird PM from a "member" with no posts:

Author Name: mariangela

Hello!
I have a Canon 550d and 17-55 f2.8 lens
I'd like a telephoto lens and are torn between the 70-200 F4 L and 70-300 L IS USM ISUSM
usually do the pictures of my son on a trip to the city
thanks
Barbara

Anyone else?

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Fred,

If this email is going to actual FM members, is it going only to Fm'ers?

If so How did the Phishers get the FM members email addresses? As that would indicate an FM security issue.

And how many members actually received the email?

Rodney

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

FWIW, I have gotten no such emails even though I have the member email option selected in my profile. I'm not running any security software beyond what OSX 10.8.2 comes with.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

anthonysemone wrote:
FWIW, I have gotten no such emails even though I have the member email option selected in my profile. I'm not running any security software beyond what OSX 10.8.2 comes with.

Me too.

I'm running NIS on my stinking PC.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

What's email?

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

ugh! tar and feather these cretins!

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:33 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

I got phished and it worked. I should've really looked at where I was being linked to. Guess that's what happens when your busy.

Below is the phishing link to enter your login info.

http://neveralonefc.com/www.fredmiranda.com/forum/member.htm

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:57 PM
anil007
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

Rodney O wrote:
Fred,

If this email is going to actual FM members, is it going only to Fm'ers?

If so How did the Phishers get the FM members email addresses? As that would indicate an FM security issue.

And how many members actually received the email?

Rodney

There are many members that choose to get email sent by other forum members. It shows in their posts. It's not a security issue with website, just another feature by which some members choose to be available for contacts by other FM'ers.

You can see below my post second button called "email", which if you click you can send me an email.

Not sure if it is possible to get from the system logs which member has sent the phishing emails. That may be Fred can look into.

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:58 PM
David Johanson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

NEVER click a link in an email regarding an online account. Instead, go to the site as you normally would and if there is an issue it will show up.
It's a simple practice that will save you in the long run.

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:03 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ALERT: Phishing attempt

David Johanson wrote:
NEVER click a link in an email regarding an online account. Instead, go to the site as you normally would and if there is an issue it will show up.
It's a simple practice that will save you in the long run.
words to live by!

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.