Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

ramsess

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

I have been offered to buy a Epson 11880 very "cheap" as the cyan part of the head does not work properly.

An Epson technician had looked at it, and and said that the head needed replacing. And that at a cost of about $7000, for head, installation and calibration.

Now the $64.000 question is, could I do this myself, the head easily available, so the problem is installation & calibration. I was many years ago trained as a electronics technician, but have not been in that field for a number of years.

Any ideas or suggestions

Thank you very much in advance.

PS

This was my first post here, I am very sorry if I made any mistakes, or in any other way was the cause of harm.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

I am not aware of European prices but the printer is available new from US suppliers for about $6500-6600 USD. Print head replacement here runs about $3000 USD. To answer your question unless the printer is free this does not sound like a good idea.

Dave

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:21 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

$7K would be better spent on a new printer----you know it's going to work, and it has a warranty from Epson. And you can buy an extended warranty too.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

Hell, you can buy a whole brand new 11880 here in the US for less than that. They've been offering hefty rebates on that model here but don't know about Norway.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
stupor

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

You could try to get latest version official Epson service manual for 11880. Then you would know what changing the head requires. I don't know about 11880 service manual or how to get it, but I have 7900 service manual and there is found step by step how to do it for 7900 and different calibration procedures also. In the manual is also listed special tools required for the task, and that might be what makes it difficult. Some operations also require service program installed on separate computer and connected to printer.

Head capping station was replaced on my 7900 and it was done under warranty by a guy who had not done any similar job before. I just watched by side and he followed the manual and obviously had general repair skills and it went fine. Changing the head is more complicated though.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:34 AM
ramsess

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

Thank your very very much for your inputs guys, just great.

Regarding price, a new 11880 comes in at just above $18.000 here, yes I know it's insane!
No rebates here either. To top it, Epson bans US retailers from shipping them over here, which would be much cheaper.

It was good advice to look for a repair manual, that would probably answer some of my questions, thanks stupor! The search begins

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

Couldn't you fly here, take a vacation, buy a printer and mail it back, and still have funds for, I don't know, a few nice prime lenses?

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:12 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

Dennis has a point. You could arrange for shipping yourself and save

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Changing the printing head of a Epson 11880 myself?

I know it on good authority that more than a few South American buyers of the large format Epsons would fly to Miami, buy their printers and have them shipped home. Apparently in some of those countries there is a 100 percent import duty, doubling the price of the printers, making the trip to Miami more appealing. Of course, I don't know what that does to your warranty and if Epson honors that type of purchase.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.