Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

stanj wrote:
+1

+2

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:23 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

saneproduction wrote:
Seems like a lot of venom and snarkiness in some of the posts lately. Do you guys and gals feel the same way or is it about the same and I am just noticing it more? Is there anything we can do to get things back in line?

Yes, it seems worse to me.

I started using the hide button a couple weeks ago. I may (or may not) still read some of the posts of the hidden people, but I made a vow to myself to not reply to them, and this has lowered the stress level for me quite a bit.

Dan

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:03 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I'm not sure it is any worse than when i joined, but i came here several years too late to be part of the clique of early users and the small family "feel" that i'm sure the place had in the early days.

Some topics seem to provoke quite heated debate, generally hardware/software where one person's experience doesn't mirror that of another and the two sides are unwilling to accept the validity of the others' experience. Mostly these seem to get smoothed over within thread, but there are the odd topics that veer wildly off-course and become too personal. They generally get moderated out of existence pretty quickly, as we are good at reported them when they get out of hand.

I've also noticed that the same topics tend to keep re-appearing, and once you've answered the same question 3 or 4 times you tend to make answers briefer and briefer, and then misunderstandings can occur.

Finally, it is easy to forget that a lot of members here have english as a second language, and misunderstandings can occur due to that.

I don't use the hide button - i've found most folk here have wisdom to share, even if they hold world views that do not align with mine, or occasionally have a moment of indiscretion in what they write. I mostly just try to ignore inflammatory posts - there really is no moral imperative to "correct" what you feel is someone's "ignorance" and "stupidity", even if it sometimes feels like there is.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:46 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I agree it's worse the last few years and agree that it's not FM. It seems to just be society.

When I take a mental step back and realize to some posters being 'right' on a largely anonymous internet forum is obviously incredibly important emotionally - well, that makes me realize I don't ever want to become that guy and I'm not angry anymore.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:11 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I have seen several confrontational, argumentative posts recently as well. On a couple of occasions, I typed out a reply, but before sending it, I consciously stepped away from the computer for 5 minutes to cool off. When I came back, I re-read my reply and decided it wasn't worth sending. Why agitate the situation even more? Boiling water eventually cools off- unless you keep heating it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Well, if you are referencing the last few years that does coincide with some pretty bad economic times and I'm sure that hasn't helped peoples temperament. Combined with a lot of updated gear that costs far more then it used to and you are going to have some short fuses when something doesn't meet expectation.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:31 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Speaking of hide lists - is there any way to see how many people have actually hidden you? I have to wonder how many (if any) people completely ignore me

Not that I intentionally argue with people (I actually try to be very nice IRL and on forums and usually stay that way), but I've had a couple of doozy posts in my day that I'm sure ruffled some feathers.

The "Prime shooters" thread being the worst I would think, where I was zooming a Sigma 50-500 quite literally with my feet and the thread as subsequently erased from FM forever

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I think think a big part of the negative tones is because of last years disappointment in the 5D3. As we all know, Canon failed to improve DR, and also to completely fix the issue with banding. People noticed Canon's lack of any real innovation, while their competition (Nikon) delivered the D800 with it's amazing new sensor tech, that made the 5D3 look like a 5D2+.

Of course, this resulted in a good amount of justified criticism from many of us, as well as "anti-criticism" from the "hardcore fanboys" (duno what to call them really).. Anyway, lots of flame wars happend, and many gear invested tears were shed, but I think it is starting to get a little bit better now! Peace love and understanding will always win. ♥

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:45 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

If I was on FM 15 years ago, I'd show some negativities after seeing same topics over and over for years. That can really get annoying, especially trying to answer same questions over and over. Bottom line, we need more smileys.

/r
Andy

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:52 PM
godfather
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

IMO it has nothing to do with the gear. The forum has changed over the years...

In the past I tried using the hide list and eventually took a year off FM. I feel refreshed now and completely avoid certain types of threads.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Wow, that's living in a very narrow band of perception if you think the 5D3 was a disappointment. By almost every review out there it was praised as being quite good.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

ggreene wrote:
Wow, that's living in a very narrow band of perception if you think the 5D3 was a disappointment. By almost every review out there it was praised as being quite good.

I don't think anyone has said that it is a bad camera. The problem is that the 5D3 is not enough of an upgrade to the 5D2, and this is where the conflict and confusion emerged. People who bought the 5D3 were angry to hear that other people dared to criticize their new object of love, hence the flame wars.

The 5D3 is a very nice camera, but it is far from what I and many others would call an upgrade to the 5D2. A true successor would be something like the D800, minus the focus issues.

But anyway, this is an entirely different matter. The important thing is that we bring back a more positive tone to the forums.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:21 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Still way too congenial

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:54 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Rickuz wrote:
The 5D3 is a very nice camera, but it is far from what I and many others would call an upgrade to the 5D2. A true successor would be something like the D800, minus the focus issues.

I think this is the source of confusion more then anything. Canon released the 5D3 as an upgrade to the 5D2 not as an answer to the D800. Fact is, they don't have an answer for that sensor yet. There were however plenty of people out there that thought the 5D3 was a worthy successor and by most accounts it sold very well and was a success for Canon.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:15 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi wrote:
FM still embraces a higher standard just not as kind or polite as it was in 2003...

+1. Sadly the dialogue in general across the social spectrum is far less polite as it was in 2003 in this "hyper" networked world, where communication seems to have suffered.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:39 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I've noticed a difference and I've been coming here for less than 2 years. It's been a bit less civil lately, which is really starting to concern me.

I came here mainly because this is by far the best forum that I found. Gochugogi's description of "wild west" pretty much nails my thoughts for other forums.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:47 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

There's no point replying to someone uninterested in listening, or if you're uninterested in what the person is saying. Take that on board, and the forums are a pleasant place.

Someone else being right or wrong on the internet is not something that should raise your blood pressure

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:55 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Just a thought. The common knowledge about gear is at a much higher level now than say 7 years ago. At that time, we were enthusiastic about helping each other collecting knowledge. One example: Dynamic range. We developed methods to find it, we did experiments and shared our data here. Everyone was happy to find out things, and eager to learn more. Now there is a great availability of objective tests, and we know a lot more than we used to. In addition, the availability of superb gear is much higher. I think this has influenced the discussions a lot. Now it is a lot about "you don't really need that". Nobody will be happy in such a discussion.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:10 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

alundeb wrote:
Just a thought. The common knowledge about gear is at a much higher level now than say 7 years ago. At that time, we were enthusiastic about helping each other collecting knowledge. One example: Dynamic range. We developed methods to find it, we did experiments and shared our data here. Everyone was happy to find out things, and eager to learn more. Now there is a great availability of objective tests, and we know a lot more than we used to. In addition, the availability of superb gear is much higher. I think this has influenced the discussions a lot.
...Show more

Narcissism of small differences plus the narcissism of extending personal experience universally?

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:19 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

ausemmao wrote:
Narcissism of small differences plus the narcissism of extending personal experience universally?

Guilty

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password