Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Seems like a lot of venom and snarkiness in some of the posts lately. Do you guys and gals feel the same way or is it about the same and I am just noticing it more? Is there anything we can do to get things back in line?

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:34 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

No. It depends on which topic you click on and how YOU read the messages.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:43 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Yes, especially in the Sigma 35 threads.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:44 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Could be the phenomenon where one always notices the out of the ordinary, while forgetting the norm. I would say most of the threads are rather civil.

It is very hard to really get tone from a post though, so mild disagreements can sound like a mad pissing match.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:45 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I'm sorry did you say something

Open debate, discussion, opinion, a knowledge base deep n wide not to mention quite diverse...nah...all is well.

I must go now the voices are calling; no I will not give up film unless the perfect digital camera is produced to my exact specs; yes but you still won't be happy; who asked you anyway; fine Fuji here I roll, you're an idiot, why, cause...

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I've been posting here for 10 years (!) and stayed because most members were reasonably polite and thoughtful. Many of the other forums were the wild west with rudeness and insults abounding. Sadly, this forum has lost some of the friendly vibe and grown to be more like other forums. It didn't happen overnight but evolved during the last few years. Yes, older more polite members have left and were replaced with new blood, but I think it's largely a reflection of our society as a whole. Rude behavior and crude remarks are common on YouTube, news sites and other places where you are almost anonymous. I've read articles on newspaper sites where they detail a terrible death in a car accident and people will joke about their death and post crude racist and sexist comments which are uncalled for and have nothing to do with the accident. With those thoughts in mind, FM still embraces a higher standard just not as kind or polite as it was in 2003...

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi wrote:
I've been posting here for 10 years (!) and stayed because most members were reasonably polite and thoughtful. Many of the other forums were the wild west with rudeness and insults abounding. Sadly, this forum has lost some of the friendly vibe and grown to be more like other forums. It didn't happen overnight but evolved during the last few years. Yes, older more polite members have left and were replaced with new blood, but I think it's largely a reflection of our society as a whole. Rude behavior and crude remarks are common on YouTube, news sites and other
...Show more

Yes, it's worse now than it was 5 or 6 years ago; I've noticed it. There's still good stuff, it's just a smaller percentage now than it used to be.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi wrote:
I've been posting here for 10 years (!) and stayed because most members were reasonably polite and thoughtful. Many of the other forums were the wild west with rudeness and insults abounding. Sadly, this forum has lost some of the friendly vibe and grown to be more like other forums. It didn't happen overnight but evolved during the last few years. Yes, older more polite members have left and were replaced with new blood, but I think it's largely a reflection of our society as a whole. Rude behavior and crude remarks are common on YouTube, news sites and other
...Show more

well stated.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:36 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #9 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I am just going to start saying something when people post negative comments.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

My Hide Me list is always full .

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi is correct, according to my perception.

I will note, however, that the gear forums and the People forum are where most of the
incivility occurs. If you hang out at the Landscape forum (where I only visit occasionaly),
I think you are likely to find less confrontation and ego jousting.

Tim

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:20 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

MDJAK wrote:
When I posted about the cotton carrier failing and my camera dropping, I was attacked immediately. It was very unpleasant to say the least.

Well, Mark old son, if I remember correctly, years ago you dropped your brand new 1DSMkII (or was it 1DMkIII ?).......and nobody really attacked you.
So something must have changed in the intervening period.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:57 AM
macentropist
• •
p.1 #13 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

A good filter is all one needs to separate the wheat from the chaff, i use B+W ;-)

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:05 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #14 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I can't shoot landscapes because my 5DIII won't let me push the shadows 3 stops.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:13 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

My hide list has certainly grown in the past two years. But turnabout is fair play and surely I've been hidden as well.

I also "plus one" Gochugogi's post

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:15 AM
BCPete
• •
p.1 #16 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

I don't often post here on FM, but lurk quite a bit. I have noticed a negative tone trend growing here in the past year or two. Mostly on the Canon gear forum only (probably the Nikon one also, but I don't go there hardly ever) - the other forums where photos are posted are very gracious & positive I think.

I sure wouldn't want to start a thread on why I like my 800L just fine, and think people wanting the 600mm II + 1.4x extender are a bit nuts.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi wrote:
...Show more

I have to agree. This is my first post in 4 weeks and prior to that it was 2 months ago.

I still read some post regarding current and new issues about gear but I won't get involve in the discussions. It is just not worth it anymore.

Jim

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:46 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

Gochugogi wrote:
...Show more
Jim Victory wrote:
I have to agree. This is my first post in 4 weeks and prior to that it was 2 months ago.

I still read some post regarding current and new issues about gear but I won't get involve in the discussions. It is just not worth it anymore.

Jim

+1

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:09 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #19 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

We don't need to let it get to us or accept the behavior that drives away the nice people.

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:54 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Does this forum have a negative tone lately?

The "hide" feature is useful, but I have even "un-hidden" people over time when the heat of
the moment faded and I found their posts were not as annoying as before.

I also remember a particular case where I (hopefully out of character) flamed someone by E-mail
years ago, and realized everyone can have their bad days. A little grace and forgiveness can go
a long way on the forums, as in life.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password