Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

Matt Leitholt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

Hey everyone, I have a D800 and while the NEF files look fine in Preview, when I convert to DNG I get funky colors. However, when I open that DNG in Photoshop or Lightroom, it's fine.

My problem is I have to use a DNG with the color checker, and it's not "looking right" when I bring it into the Color Checker software. I'm converting in Lightroom, I also tried converting with the standalone software from Adobe, I get the same results. Does anyone have suggestions?

I have tried:

1. Formating the card
  2. Trying a different card
  3. Importing as NEF then exporting as DNG
  4. Changing the picture style
  5. Using Adobe's standalone converter

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

I don't have a D800 or a Mac, but you got me curious so I downloaded a D800 NEF file from www.imaging-resource.com and played with it on my Win7+CS6 system.

Everything looked OK. Converted the NEF to DNG using both ACR and the DNG converter. Looked at the DNGs with Bridge and ACR. Looked at the DNGs with Fastone, which looks only at the embedded jpegs. Loaded the DNGs into the ColorChecker Passport software. Everything was OK here, no strange color shifts.

I know that's not much help, but it kind of confirms there is no consistent bug with D800/DNG conversions. Unless it's a MAC only thing. So I'd suggest a couple of things. Upload both your NEF and DNG somewhere (Dropbox?) and let us take a look at them. And download one of the D800 NEF files from the above site and convert it to DNG on your system to see what happens.

My only suspicion is a problem with your camera profiles. Have you already generated some custom profiles? If so, move or hide them somewhere so that only the Adobe profiles remain. Then reconvert your NEF to DNG and see it it still looks funky.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Matt Leitholt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

Ah, good thinking about the custom profiles. Will try that in the morning.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

Matt, was too late last night for me to look up this old post about a problem I discovered with DNG and custom profiles about 4 years ago. Don't know if this is related to your problem, but check to see if custom profiles you have made are named such that they would sort alphabetically before "Adobe Standard".

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311825

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Matt Leitholt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 DNG Files With Funky Colors - Color Checker Passport

I went to the custom profile location for the color checker software (Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRAW/CameraProfiles) and they are not showing up, but I see them in the color checker software when I'm saving to that location.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password