New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

Chet Hall
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

I have been in the market for a new fast 85mm lens ... ran across this from Best Buy today.
Click Here
$401.00 off the regular price. comes in at $1798.99.
I was going back and forth about the Sigma 85mm and or buying a used 85mm f1.2 on BS. I believe I will be happy with this deal. I pulled the tigger and it will be here 23-25Jan.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:09 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

I have never had a good experience with BB. To buy from them also requires paying the State sales tax. However, for a buck more you could buy it from B&H without any worries and no Tax in your situation. I have dealt with B&H as many have here, for the pat 30 years, and have nothing but praise for them.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Legion5
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

Chet Hall wrote:
I have been in the market for a new fast 85mm lens ... ran across this from Best Buy today.
Click Here
$401.00 off the regular price. comes in at $1798.99.
I was going back and forth about the Sigma 85mm and or buying a used 85mm f1.2 on BS. I believe I will be happy with this deal. I pulled the tigger and it will be here 23-25Jan.

The Sigma actually delivers better image quality with substantially fewer abberations wide open, which for me was enough to chose it over the 85mm 1.2 L II and sell my 85mm 1.2 L II . The sigma also delivers better color in my oppinion and much better focusing if you get a good copy.

Due to the way digital image sensors work with off angled light you don't get any additional light falling on the sensor whatsoever at f/1.2 compared to f/1.4 (the camera just falsley bumps the ISO behind the sceens without displaying a difference in ISO to compensate for the effect), so there is no advantage in terms of low light abbility or lower noise on the Canon.

The difference in bokeh apperance is extremely negligible comparing f/1.2 to f/1.4

f/1.2

f/1.4

So considering there are little to no pros and many cons to the Canon f/1.2 L II over the Sigma f/1.4 I think its the clear winner.

Not trying to ruin your purchase, just providing some insight in case you decide it's a good idea to return the lens and get the other.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Chet Hall
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

The Sigma actually delivers better image quality with substantially fewer abberations wide open, which for me was enough to chose it over the 85mm 1.2 L II and sell my 85mm 1.2 L II . The sigma also delivers better color in my oppinion and much better focusing if you get a good copy.

Due to the way digital image sensors work with off angled light you don't get any additional light falling on the sensor whatsoever at f/1.2 compared to f/1.4 (the camera just falsley bumps the ISO behind the sceens without displaying a difference in ISO to compensate for the effect), so there is no advantage in terms of low light abbility or lower noise on the Canon.

Understand the Best Buy tax issue and how good B&H is. This said, I will give BB a try and if all goes wrong I will cancel or just take it back for a full refund.

As far as the Sigma goes...now that you brought it up I do worry about receiving a bad copy. It is interesting you mention receiving a "good copy". Thanks for the heads up

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Chet Hall
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

How in the world did he get that girl to stand still for two shots with different lenses? I guess he had two cameras somehow synced together for the shot. I swear after looking not even her hair is out of place. Uhmmm...

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:32 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

Read any online forum and you will see that Sigma is not alone in bad copies. Canon has its fair share at any price level. That said, I do think it's telling that Sigma specifically references QC in their statement regarding their new lenses. It clearly was enough of a problem/perception for them to have to react to it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:43 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

If you get a good copy pretty much says it all. Also where are the used Sigma lenses selling for 85% of retail? Are there not enough good copies like the Canons?

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

Chet Hall wrote:
How in the world did he get that girl to stand still for two shots with different lenses? I guess he had two cameras somehow synced together for the shot. I swear after looking not even her hair is out of place. Uhmmm...

I think you are missing his point. My guess is that he shot the girl with the Canon 85mm f/1.2, first at f/1.2 and then at f/1.4. The widest aperture for the Canon lens is f/1.2 and for Sigma it is f/1.4. The point being that the difference is negligible, and, he believes the Sigma to be a better lens.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

don't you think the color is better with the canon? looks like it to me.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
jonbrach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

the canon is better,the sigma is excellent......both great lenses

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

Aren't they both with the Canon?

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Chet Hall
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

galenapass and Jonesy,

I went to the site and I do believe both of you are correct. I get Legion5's point and I do believe its a good lens. However, I have read reviews at B&H, here at FM and amazon, all have buyers that received bad copies even the Digital Picture.com site where the girls picture was barrowed, the reviewer went through three and even he states the last was really not up to par to his liking but went on with his review using it. I have been at this for some time and know that canon has its share of putting out bad lenses but usally when one is returned normally the second is to their specifications. If not, I have had no trouble getting it repaired under warrenty coming back tact sharp.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 85mm f/1.2 L VII great price at BB

jonbrach wrote:
the canon is better,the sigma is excellent......both great lenses

no new toy is always better!,,,

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.