FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

DmitriM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Update:

Joystick was fixed for free by Canon with no questions asked.
A fellow photographer in Europe told me earlier that he had to speak to the management to have it done for free so I was a bit scared they may refuse me as well.

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM
wildernesscape

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Canon refuses to honor any warranty on the joystick button breaking off my Canon 5d mkiii also, citing the impossibility to prove it wasn't from blunt external trauma, even though there's no signs of this. I'm outraged at Canon for refusing to honor their warranty on broken buttons. To further add insult, Canon is also refusing to fix a broken WB top button that's stuck in the depressed position even though this should also be under warranty, because they refuse to partially fix a camera under warrantly - it's either both or none. I lead photo tours and workshops to Iceland, and I'll be sharing Canon's bad warranty service with all my clients.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:27 PM
wildernesscape

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

What Canon service center fixed your joystick button? The one in New Jersey is the one refusing to honor warranty on the joystick button, in my case.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

That reminds me of a Nikon I had. Toggles tend to be more fragile than they should be.

EBH

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

wildernesscape wrote:
What Canon service center fixed your joystick button? The one in New Jersey is the one refusing to honor warranty on the joystick button, in my case.

DmitriM is in Canada.

Dec 03, 2013 at 06:58 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

RogerC11 wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if the finnish came off too.

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 03, 2013 at 08:43 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Had the joystick come off the bg-e11 grip connected to my 5dmark III recently…need to call CPS. Anyone have luck with Irvine CPS?

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:50 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Perhaps this is a fingernail length issue?

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:01 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

A while ago I thought I had lost the multi-controller on my 1DsIII and went searching for a replacement, somehow I found this: https://www.globalsemi.com/productdetails.aspx?itemno=CB33559000

I can't remember how I found it, and I didn't end up ordering any as I found my multi-controller in the bottom of my bag.

I'm not saying this is something you can use, but at $1.60 it might be worth a try to find out if it will fit.
Do a search using the part number CB3-3559-000 and see what you think.

Regards.....Pete

Dec 05, 2013 at 06:33 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

If the joystick hangs up in the camera bad, or the camera moves around and tears it away, that's the owners responsibility.

That seems to be the likely case based on what you described.

Dec 05, 2013 at 07:41 PM
wildernesscape

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

update on the broken joystick on the 5d mkiii - after speaking with a couple different supervisors, over a couple days, at the repair center in New Jersey, they agreed to resubmit it for another inspection, presumably by a different tech. And this time around it'll be fully covered and fixed under warranty. I was planning on writing a letter in compaint - I think a letter speaks more than a call, but that would have been my last recourse, and otherwise I would have just gone around with a handicapped camera. I usually use a smaller top-load zoom bag, so I'm confident camera bag rub wasn't at play here. I do photograph the northern lights in Iceland, so with bulky gloves on presumably one has poorer feel and feedback while fingering the joystick button, but I still maintain the buttons on the mkiii seem a little poorer quality than the mkii buttons. It's dissappointing Canon is so reluctant and finicky about warranty repairs, but we're moving on in life, there's bigger things out there.

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:12 PM
wildernesscape

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Yes, good thought about just buying another multi-controller joystick button and snapping it back in. That speaks for how the camera is cheaply made, I suppose, but this simple solution might just work. You can buy a new one here too: http://www.mediaform.com.au/products/cb3-3559-000-cps-button-multi-controller-eos-1ds-mark-iii.html , and it would probably work. Based on the previous posts, I just searched for " Canon multi-controller CB3-3559-000 " There's even one for sale on Ebay. That speaks to the issue that this problem must be happening to quite a few other camera owners out there. Now we all know what to do next time...

Dec 05, 2013 at 09:28 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

wildernesscape wrote:
Yes, good thought about just buying another multi-controller joystick button and snapping it back in. That speaks for how the camera is cheaply made, I suppose, but this simple solution might just work. You can buy a new one here too: http://www.mediaform.com.au/products/cb3-3559-000-cps-button-multi-controller-eos-1ds-mark-iii.html , and it would probably work. Based on the previous posts, I just searched for " Canon multi-controller CB3-3559-000 " There's even one for sale on Ebay. That speaks to the issue that this problem must be happening to quite a few other camera owners out there. Now we all know what to do next time...

Well its not just a snap it back in place solution. I actually still have the joystick button but there is a weather sealing gasket like part that prevents the button from properly "snapping back" in

Dec 06, 2013 at 12:03 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

It broke again yesterday...
Called them. Got a vague answer. Basically, upon their inspection they will determin whether to charge me or not. If they do decide to charge me. It's a flat rate of $249 for the joystick

Jul 15, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Sorry about your rum luck.

If that 5DIII only had one of those nice flat controllers like the 6D......

Jul 15, 2014 at 03:46 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Spikey131 wrote:
Sorry about your rum luck.

If that 5DIII only had one of those nice flat controllers like the 6D......

Those are terrible for adjusting the focus point compared to the joystick that i can use without moving my thumb while actively tracking a subject.

Sorry for your bum luck, sounds like things were worked out though!

Jul 15, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

My joystick came off, 5DIII still under warranty; they fixed it free (Canon Virginia), and replaced the entire back as well!
I was pleased....
Jerry

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

DmitriM wrote:
It broke again yesterday...

Are you gentle with it?

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:26 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Paul Mo wrote:
Are you gentle with it?

I just shoot a lot...

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:39 PM
cheem
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

DmitriM wrote:
• double shots in single shot mode

I had the opposite issue with my 40D several years ago and it turns out the fix was to clean the shutter button assembly by running alcohol through the battery compartment - could be a similar issue mucking up the contact.

What is the shutter count for those of you who have lost the joystick? If it is a design flaw it seems somewhat futile to keep replacing the joystick as it will likely break again as experienced by DmitriM.

DmitriM, do you bring the camera to the Canon service depot here in Mississauga/Brampton?

Jul 16, 2014 at 06:30 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.