Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

DmitriM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Here are pictures.
3 weeks ago I noticed a little rip on the side of the joystick. A day later I take my camera out of the bag and it's completely gone...

Here are some pictures.
I wonder if anyone had it happen or heard it happen to anyone else? I am going to contact Canon,but I have a feeling they may ask me to pay for the repair.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:46 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #2 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

I'll offer you $1000 for this crappola piece of junk.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:57 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #3 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Wow...Is that because your bag rubbed against it? The button should be more robust than that. I certainly expect Canon to fix it for free...at least I hope they will. I've got to pad mine better from now on. Thanks for bringing this issue up. Sorry for what happened to yours.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:58 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #4 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

IMO canon should cover that repair. I don't see any damage around it...it just failed.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #5 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

I couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. In all my years I've never experienced or even heard of anyone having this problem. Tried googling it and got nothing. Seems like it's an isolated issue. I am not too surprised though considering the amount of issues both of my 5D III had since I got it back in March.
It's not a "piece of junk" as M Lucca mentioned playfully, but it's definitely a poorly designed camera...unfortunately.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:42 AM
macentropist
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

I have had mine since mid march, with nary an issue. I just sent it in for a clean and check, and they fixed the light leak issue, and had it back in four days via CPS Gold. I would think you should send it in and they will make you whole.

What other issues have you had?

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:59 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Wouldn't surprise me if the finnish came off too.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:11 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #8 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

I've gotten nasty sweat/salt in mine that caused it to act funky for a day until it dried out but never seen one like this….

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 04:49 AM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:12 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

yikes, over on some other forums, POTN I think, maybe DPR too, there had been a rash of these posts a few months ago, so I guess it might be a weak point, although the reports seemed to dry up not long after

was your body pre or post light 'leak' fix?

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:13 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #10 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

happened on a 1ds iii of mine.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #11 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

macentropist wrote:
I have had mine since mid march, with nary an issue. I just sent it in for a clean and check, and they fixed the light leak issue, and had it back in four days via CPS Gold. I would think you should send it in and they will make you whole.

What other issues have you had?

I have these issues with 2 cameras!! Canon Canada refused to fix them. They said they can't recreate the issues.
They gave them back(Repair customer service was a total nightmare!! They acted like it was their first day in business!!!).
1 person said they fixed them. Other said they did not touch anything and this is what was on the invoice. I've yet to test them properly after service as some issues only come up ever 1000 or so shots. I barely took 400 images on both cameras since December. Anyhow, if they won't fix this, I already talked to a lawyer and I'll take them to court...
It was a good lesson and I'll never buy a "first batch again". I was one of the first to get these cameras on the first day of their availability.

• double shots in single shot mode
• No light confirmation upon shutter press in dark environments
• Slow writing speeds to cards 133 and 400x Transcend Cards(MUCH slower than 5D II).
• Even slower writing speeds to cards once an image is taken after camera have been idling for a few minutes. After first 1 image is written at maybe 320X...Writing speeds gets back to "normal 5DIII speeds, which is somewhat of my estimated 90X.
• Corrupt RAW files
• "CF card is writing to the cards" light comes on for 1 minute at times. Sometimes forever...
• Camera lock downs
• Error messagess
• 2 corrupt CF cards
• cameras can't keep synced times at times still after the last firmware update
• Slower focus acquisition in dark areas that is worse than 5DII
• Missing Images -->Missing RAW images while Jpegs on SD are present...
• ***VERY slow wake up times with 580exII flash**. It takes 580exII with this camera 2 extra seconds to wake up.
• Time/Date reset after a battery is taken out for ~48 hours (fixed with a new internal battery as of December...It sucks battery only lasted for 9 months!!! And it sucks I had to remind them to fix this... )

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:52 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #12 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

RogerC11 wrote:

Thankfully not yet...it seems I got lucky. A friend of mine's 5d III looks like it's been through a war lol.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:57 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

That looks bad, they should offer you a free service to take care all your issues.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

RogerC11 wrote:

I think when you're russian you may have problems with the finnish.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:07 AM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #15 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:06 AM
DomoFoto

p.1 #16 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

The same thing happened to the joystick a 1D MKIII and Canon Irvine (CPS) fixed it for no charge.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:51 AM
randykepple

p.1 #17 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Dmitri... I've had few of these issues with my 6 month old Canon 5D-Mark III. Mainly the double shots in single shot mode. It's annoying. The camera fires off 2-3 frames as if it were in high speed drive. Each time, I've double checked and confirmed that it was in single shot mode. How is that supposed to happen?

Since it appears to be random, but consistent enough to be noticeable, I haven't sent it in under warranty. I know they won't be able to reproduce it and I don't want Canon service adding hundreds of shutter activations to my body!

Regarding the joystick issue, a photographer in New York (Bill Wadman) had the same issue. He even blogged about it here: http://www.ontakingpictures.com/2012/07/canon-5d-mark-iii-joystick-failure/

Randy

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #18 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Personally, if it's broke from normal use and I feel it's because of the craftsmanship, I'd expect Canon to repair it for no charge.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:29 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #19 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

randykepple wrote:
Dmitri... I've had few of these issues with my 6 month old Canon 5D-Mark III. Mainly the double shots in single shot mode. It's annoying. The camera fires off 2-3 frames as if it were in high speed drive. Each time, I've double checked and confirmed that it was in single shot mode. How is that supposed to happen?

Since it appears to be random, but consistent enough to be noticeable, I haven't sent it in under warranty. I know they won't be able to reproduce it and I don't want Canon service adding hundreds of shutter activations to my body!

Regarding
...Show more

Randy, I'll keep your contact info...Glad to see more and more people are coming out with the issues I stated.
If you don't want to fix it, at least send them an email to tell them about this problem. Who knows,maybe it can lead to some kind of a future failure of the camera. If you tell them about it, at least they may cover the repair later on or create a recall.

It is true that some problems with 5D III don't happen often and some photographers just don't care enough or don't use the camera in right environments to actually notice stuff like that.
It's just Canon CSR treated me like I am a noob who doesn't know how to use a camera and blamed all of that on me when I told them about these problems. I am sure it's cheaper to deny than fixing these...
Although the "light leak issue" was a bit laughable problem(99.99% of all users would never notice it or care about it), Canon also denied it until it became viral. Just goes to show that you can't trust them

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:23 PM
randykepple

p.1 #20 · joystick broke on a 5D Mark III

Dmitir... not sure how to go about filing a report on my camera. Kind of like a car dealer. I think they honestly want their customers to have a good experience, but unless they can actually detect and figure out what's going on, they won't do anything about it.

I also feel it's a cultural difference. I've had some pretty serious issues with Canon DPP software and was able to escalate my valid concerns to the national rep who then passed it on to the Japanese division where it disappeared. I know there is a very specific way to approach the Japanese and many cultural issues that are completely foreign to the way we are used to dealing with customer service concerns. I have no idea how to deal with that issue.

I'll call CPS tomorrow and see what they have to say about simply filing a report.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password