FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

It's always interesting to see the car analogy come up. Toyota is offering "free maintenance" because of a few reasons. There are a few other companies offering the same perk, most new cars don't need anything for the first few years so it won't cost them very much.
But to continue the same track, the client might see the extra cost of an album as a push to buy floor mats or get the LX version instead of the EX...You need to sell them on the value of the album.

To me "personal beliefs" are little deeper (I was sure it was gay wedding thing ) than a business selling an additional product. I'd consider it be good business though, it makes you more money and the clients can look at it long atfer flash dives and DVDs are unreadable.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Draper
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

I treat weddings like a commercial shoot. There is a narrative in most of the photography I do. This narrative can be accomplished with one shot or a series of many shots. But an album isn't necessary to tell a story. When you view ads in magazines or view pictorials online, a narrative is still there without the traditional "packaging" of a tangible album. In my view, the work transcends what it's presented in.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM
jammin

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

cordellwillis wrote:
You surely would purchase from them (Toyota). Why?! because you basically don't know they "pushed" that warranty onto you. It's not hidden cost; it's simple costs. Businesses do it every single day...one way or another. If they raise the price of the car $500 over last years price you don't know why. The accountants do tho You will likely chaulk it up to rising cost over last years model and buy it. It's no different than any other cost withing the vehicle as a whole. Hyundai been doing it from day one! It's part of their business model.

If you
...Show more

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
jammin

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

cordellwillis wrote:
You surely would purchase from them (Toyota). Why?! because you basically don't know they "pushed" that warranty onto you. It's not hidden cost; it's simple costs. Businesses do it every single day...one way or another. If they raise the price of the car $500 over last years price you don't know why. The accountants do tho You will likely chaulk it up to rising cost over last years model and buy it. It's no different than any other cost withing the vehicle as a whole. Hyundai been doing it from day one! It's part of their business model.

If you
...Show more

I still disagree. If a couple DO NOT want an album, they will know that the album is an additional cost and that they are ultimately paying for it. If they see another photographers work that they like who is $x cheaper because the price doesn't include an album, that's who they are going to go for. No couple is going to spend extra money getting something they aren't really fussed about in the 1st place.

With Toyota, you buy from them because of the after sales and maybe the warranty but if you could find the same car $1000 cheaper with no warranty, you may think about that and get your own warranty if it comes in for less than the $1000. I understand things are in the cost and companies make it look like you are getting a deal, but come on. Nobody is stupid. It's like a large chain of grocery stores, upping the price on an item 1 week, reducing it the next and saying it's now on sale. Consumers are now very well aware

Most of my couples have not wanted an album, they've asked what happens if they did afterwards.

Albums, Photography hold different values to different people. If you want to market to just couples who want albums, then you have reduced your target market by quite a bit. If you are happy to do both you have opened it up completely. I am very happy not to supply them.

I don't think as it was mentioned before that people are cheapskates who don't wish to have an album, nor are they any lesser clients. They could be loaded but thrifty...

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Client needs vs personal beliefs

Inku Yo wrote:
I think everyone needs a wedding album. I don't know of a better way to showcase kick-ass wedding images. My base rate doesn't include an album, but that will probably change in the future. Everyone that books me will get a Queensberry album.

I was wondering where you got those sweet ass albums I've been seeing on your FB page. Does Queensbury also sell the custom clam boxes?

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:50 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.