Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · EOS 5D mk3

alvit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS 5D mk3

Price trend in near future?? I'm in the middle: to buy or not to buy

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS 5D mk3

Yes. Definitely buy. A terrific camera to have in your bag.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS 5D mk3

BUY, BUY, BUY. I just upgraded from 5D2, only used it for about an hour and I'm in hog heaven. So far, it is more than worth the price of entry. Of course, I guess it all depends on what you shoot with now, and what subjects you shoot!

Jo

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS 5D mk3

Well, it is a good camera, and I guess you could buy it. But skip it if you already have the 5D2.

This is where I disagree with Jo and some others. The 5D3 isn't enough of an upgrade from the 5D2, especially if you do most of your shooting at base ISO. If you are looking for better IQ (higher resolution, more DR, e.t.c), then you might as well stick with the 5D2, because you won't notice any difference.

However, if you want to spend 3000 bucks to get better AF, and more speed, then go ahead and buy it.

I will be waiting for the 5D4. Hopefully it will not arrive with decade old sensor tech and banding issues.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS 5D mk3

Another vote for buying it now.

The price has dropped significantly since the release. Now, you can find one for $3,000 as regular price at most well-known authorized dealers with occasional sales at $2,750-$2,900. If you don't mind gray market, the lowest was running at $2,500-$2,600, but I haven't seen one of those in quite a while now.

Some people wait and hope that the price will drop even further, but I don't think it'll happen, at least not in the near future.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:55 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS 5D mk3

I'll never understand either (i) those who ask open-ended questions like OP did here, or (ii) people who answer open-ended questions, as if we all are in the same boat financially, shooting style, and every other way.

Like all tech products, the price will drop over time. Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to how fast and how far.

Only you can evaluate your budget and shooting needs, and decide if the 5D3 is for you. Maybe the 5D2 or the 6D (which you apparently have) would be better.

What are you trying to accomplish with a new purchase? What's inadequate about your present camera that you're hoping to improve on in a new one? How much money do you want to spend.

Only you can look at the specs of the 5D3 and decide if the extra money (over the 5D2 or 6D) is "worth it" to you.

It was "worth it" to me (I upgraded from a 5D2 to a 5D3), but I had specific issues I was hoping to deal with, and the 5D3 hit those well (higher frame rate and better AF). If I was almost exclusively a landscape photographer, the 5D2 would have been fine.

Mark

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:31 PM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS 5D mk3

I was sending back the 6D and profit of the mk3 + 24/105L at $3499.00
OK, I'm convinced, I will order NOW

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:50 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS 5D mk3

The 5d3's degree of improvements over the 5d2 or even 1ds3 is more than meets the eye. If you are just basing your conclusion on some still images, you are missing out on alot on what makes the 5d3 a staggeringly good camera. The way it a works with the photographer, responsiveness, Auto ISO that is intelligent, ergonomics, sensible file sizes etc all culminate to a fantastic camera package. If you are the type of photographer that demands all of the above, the 5d3 will satisfy.

It's the sum of its parts that make the 5d3 so good. Don't just look at some web sized photo of a wall or some bottle labels. Use it. Feel it respond to fast changing situations. It is that good.

To the OP, if you can afford it - buy it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS 5D mk3

As far as price goes, I don't see it dropping enough in the near future to make waiting worth it.

A couple hundred possible price drop over the next 6 months vs having it now is not worth the wait.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS 5D mk3

One mindset here at FM that I've never bought into: why am I forced to own a Canon full frame for image quality, a Canon 1.6 crop for reach, and a Canon Series 1 for frame rate?

I need one all around camera - I'm not trying to start a camera store! The 5DIII comes closer to this ideal than any Canon model yet offered. And I'm not convinced that a single 5DIII is any more expensive than 3 or more older Canon bodies.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS 5D mk3

Rickuz wrote:
Well, it is a good camera, and I guess you could buy it. But skip it if you already have the 5D2.

This is where I disagree with Jo and some others. The 5D3 isn't enough of an upgrade from the 5D2, especially if you do most of your shooting at base ISO. If you are looking for better IQ (higher resolution, more DR, e.t.c), then you might as well stick with the 5D2, because you won't notice any difference.

However, if you want to spend 3000 bucks to get better AF, and more speed, then go ahead and buy it.

I will
...Show more

This is a very common view from people who don't own one - better AF and bit more speed

As others in this thread have said, it's an exceptional upgrade unless you need more MP or low ISO DR. They are pretty much the only downsides.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:23 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS 5D mk3

Should you get a 5DmkIII? I don't own one but I'd like to share some thoughts that might help you decide.

I've owned a 5D for 7 years and 6 months ago I bought a used 5DmkII. In the first 6 months of 2012 I've wondered and wondered about what camera I should get because it seemed so utterly important to my photography. Now that I've used the 5DmkII for some time I know that it will do fine for 95% of my photography. And it only cost me 1100 Euros, it had 14000 actuations when I bought it. I now shoot my trusted 5D and my "new" 5DmkII.

After 25 years of amateur photography I decided to start a business recently. I own about 4 good Canon lenses and now two bodies. I feel that most of my misses (which aren't many) are user error and only some could have been prevented by a better camera body. And in my line of work that is not that significant. I shoot studio portraits, bring my studio on location for portraits, shoot for businesses, some product photography and some theatre work. And it's only the theatre stuff that make me wish I had a better AF body sometimes. But I don't do enough theatre work to benefit from a 2800 Euro camera body.

So basically I am quite satisfied with my 5D and 5DmkII, where formerly I thought I'd really really need a 5DmkIII. Seeing things from a business investment perspective makes me look at gear acquisition much more rational than before. Do I really need a better camera body? Will my business benefit from the investment? At this point, no.

Will your photography benefit according to the price you pay for a 5DmkIII? Not very likely, but certainly possible. I'm sure you will like it better than a 5DmkII or 5D. Whether you feel it's worth the cash will depend on the amount of cash you can spend on this stuff.

There is one area of photography that I would like to explore a lot more and that is wedding photography. I have this incling that if I'm successful in this field and start doing it more, that I will end up with a pair of 5D3's. AF with even the most challenging lenses to focus (like the 50L and 85L), quiet mirror slap and dual card slots will probably convince me to buy. But if my business stays away from frequent weddings, I'll stick with what I have now.

Hope this helps.

Stay good,
Ralph.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Ulan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS 5D mk3

5D3 combines the very best of those two awesome cameras that are 7D and 5D2. The former delivers very good image quality and the latter nice ergonomics, speed and responsive AF. 5D3 is even better in each of those areas (except speed : 8 fps for 7D, 6 fps for 5D3). Many say that image quality has not significantly improved compared to 5D2, but - maybe its placebo - I have the feeling that exposure is more accurate with the new camera and low light images are cleaner. Auto ISO works pretty well and it has become my standard setting for street or event photography. AF is fast and accurate, and you have so many options for controlling the points as on the 7D.

The only minus is the weak responsiveness when using flash, but it seems a firmware is going to fix the issue (still have to wait untill April). For general purpose photography I think 5D3 is the best available option.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:23 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS 5D mk3

StarNut wrote:
I'll never understand either (i) those who ask open-ended questions like OP did here, or (ii) people who answer open-ended questions, as if we all are in the same boat financially, shooting style, and every other way.

Like all tech products, the price will drop over time. Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to how fast and how far.

Only you can evaluate your budget and shooting needs, and decide if the 5D3 is for you. Maybe the 5D2 or the 6D (which you apparently have) would be better.

What are you trying to accomplish with a new purchase? What's
...Show more

+1 for sure

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS 5D mk3

I got mine for 2400.00 refurbished from Canon. Can't beat that price. I love the camera it is a joy to shoot with.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS 5D mk3

Buy it. And when it's dark flick the mode dial onto SID (the green rectangle: Shoot In the Dark switch) and watch magic happen.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:13 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS 5D mk3

I'm really happy with mine. If you need a ton of megapixels and mainly do landscape and/or still photography, it may be worth the wait or getting a Nikon D800E, but if you want to do HDR, have focus that works or any combination of items that a camera with multiple uses should offer, the 5D III delivers.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:55 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS 5D mk3

rabbitmountain wrote:
Should you get a 5DmkIII? I don't own one but I'd like to share some thoughts that might help you decide.

I've owned a 5D for 7 years and 6 months ago I bought a used 5DmkII. In the first 6 months of 2012 I've wondered and wondered about what camera I should get because it seemed so utterly important to my photography. Now that I've used the 5DmkII for some time I know that it will do fine for 95% of my photography. And it only cost me 1100 Euros, it had 14000 actuations when I bought it. I now
...Show more

Well said, Ralph. I am on the same boat as you in that the 5D2 fits my needs the way it should. Buying the 5D3 isn't going to improve my photography since it isn't a drastic upgrade from the mkII. But your post hit all the points exactly as I see it.

-Nick

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:58 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS 5D mk3

Thanks Nick, I'm glad to see that. Reading more between recent topics I notice that there are crowds of happy 5DmkII owners, despite the praises of the 5DmkIII.
I have tested the 5DmkIII myself and I did find that AF is in fact a drastic upgrade from the 5DmkII. It really is. It is even night and day for using some lenses like a 50L @f/1.2 in darker conditions like wedding venues (churches, party ball rooms etc). Apart from AF I can't say because I don't own it. But I feel I will some day, when the prices have come down significantly. Until then, 5DmkII will do just fine!

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS 5D mk3

rabbitmountain wrote:
Thanks Nick, I'm glad to see that. Reading more between recent topics I notice that there are crowds of happy 5DmkII owners, despite the praises of the 5DmkIII.
I have tested the 5DmkIII myself and I did find that AF is in fact a drastic upgrade from the 5DmkII. It really is. It is even night and day for using some lenses like a 50L @f/1.2 in darker conditions like wedding venues (churches, party ball rooms etc). Apart from AF I can't say because I don't own it. But I feel I will some day, when the prices have come down
...Show more

Prices have dropped $500 compared to launch. I would be suspect they will stick at current prices for a long time, i.e., until a rebate or new model dawns. Once the 5D4 is out the gate, the 5D3 will drop like a rock...

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password