New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Moonrise over Nos

byteseller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moonrise over Nos

Moonrise over Hernandez was always one of my favorite Ansel Adams photographs.... here is my attempt.

Ansel, thanks for all of the inspiration ... best I could do.

BTW - this was shot with a Lumix modified for IR -- Adam's shot always had a somewhat IR feel to it, I wonder if he had mixed up some emulsion that was somewhat IR'ish. This one was stitched together from about 16 frames -- 2 rows tall and 8 wide (shot vertically)... am considering making a big print of it, if it turns out the B&W holds up for a big print... kind of new to this type of print and am not sure.

http://www.pbase.com/pyanez/image/148383994/original.jpg

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:20 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moonrise over Nos

Nice work, a lot to gaze at in this pano.
Douglas

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:46 AM
brad_w
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moonrise over Nos

"Adam's shot always had a somewhat IR feel to it, I wonder if he had mixed up some emulsion that was somewhat IR'ish"

He used a deep red filter on the lens when making the picture, effectively blocking all of the blue-ish evening sky light from reaching the film. You can mimic the effect in PS's channel mixer. (Most other image editor's have a similar tool.)

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moonrise over Nos

Brad,

I wasn't sure about the red filter. but strongly suspected it. But in some of his photos the vegetation is very light colored and I always wondered if his film was a bit sensitive to near-IR as well.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.