Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

mcbane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I am getting a new 1DX and, while I know it is a bit more watertight than my old camera (5dmkii), I'm wondering just how water tight. I have been caught in the rain a few times with the 5d but never a heavy downpour and never for more than a few minutes. I have always gotten it indoors and dried off as soon as possible.

In a downpour, would the sane camera owner scramble to get a 1DX out of the rain immediately or is it relatively safe to continue shooting? I ask because, while I have heard a few people discuss the use of 1D series cameras in rain, the owners manual stops well short of endorsing such use.

thanks for any info or experience you can share

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

It is almost completely waterproof. As in if the rain got heavy you'd want to protect it to be cautious, but light rain/ drizzle, won't make any difference to it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:59 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #3 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

remember the lens you use .... is just as important.

Have not been rained on with my 1DX... but the 1DIV and 400 F2.8L did just fine in moderate rainfall for me.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I own the 1DX. But I would not use it in heavy downpour without any kind of protection. In some light rain, yes no problem

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:04 AM
WilliamG
• • •
p.1 #5 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I use my 5D III + 24-105 combo in the rain (pretty heavy rain, too), so I wouldn't be at all worried about a 1DX!

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:35 AM
bigfredtn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I own the 1DX. But I would not use it in heavy downpour without any kind of protection. In some light rain, yes no problem

Agreed.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

Paul Mo wrote:
It is almost completely waterproof. As in if the rain got heavy you'd want to protect it to be cautious, but light rain/ drizzle, won't make any difference to it.

That is only true when aimed at the horizon. Aimed at the ground you have almost no water-resistance, with the screen being the weak spot. Anyone that has replaced the screen cover on any 1D body knows exactly why this is. Very thin double sided tape holding the screen cover on and no rubber gasket.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

Is that true of this model?

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Again, agreed.

When it's raining hard, or for a long time, I use Think Tank Hydrophobia 70-200 and 300-600 v.II raincoats, and a AquaTech SS-Zoom raincoat.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #10 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I think a lot of people underestimate the weather sealing on their xD series cameras. I used my 7D with a 24-70 mkI (with CPL on front) in pouring rain back in June for several hours. The joystick was the weak point and stopped moving autofocus points after the first hour (I used the dials to keep using different points), but full function returned after it dried out.

I also used my 5D3 with the 24-70 (and CPL) in the middle of freaking Hurricane Sandy for about an hour! The joystick here had no issues, and my photos turned out great!

Obviously you need to have good weather-sealed lenses (and a front filter) to complete this assurance, but I've not been afraid of using my cameras in harsh conditions short of submerging in liquid. I imagine the 1DX to be the best-in-class for this.

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 05:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I shot with a 1D mark III and a friend was shooting with a rented 1D Mark IV at the start of the 24 hours of daytona a few years ago. It tropical DOWNPOURED for three hours, and we were outside shooting in it the whole time. He with a 24-105 and me with a 70-200 2.8 IS. No problems.

And I will not hesitate to shoot with my 1DX in the rain. I already have and it was fine.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:57 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #12 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

While I'm sure it can take rain, I prefer to protect my gear. I have a PortaBrace rain cover which is excellent.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:59 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #13 · Question: Water resistance of 1DX

I've shot in light rain quite a bit with my 1D bodies but when it gets heavier I'll use protective covers. I always have a Storm Jacket with me as it's super light to carry around. I also have an Aquatech for when I know in advance it's going to be pouring. Sea spray is another condition I never take any chances with as salt creep get's into every crevice of a camera.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password