Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

matthew.lumpp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

Ive got a 5d2 and 35mm 1.4 and I just got both of them back from CPS service. I was getting soft/out of focus shots so I sent it in.

They said "It was found that the adjustment of the circuit board was inforrect and ectrical adjustments were made" on the 5d2

On the lens: They said the whole autofocus system was broken and replaced it all, plus some other stuff which I thought was crazy. I dont know how this could have been as its a fairly new lens (UZ date code) and there was barely a scratch on the body of the lens, if one at all. Thing is, the autofocus would lock on every time, nothing was in focus though. Anyway, they didnt charge me for it so im grateful they covered the repair.

But it still acts the same. It seems to focus correctly at apertures above f2. But there is a major difference between 1.4 and f2 in the sharpness. At 1.4 its just not sharp.

I did notice that when using a flash, the sharpness/focus seemed to be greatly improved.

Should I send it back in? If I do I want to better pinpoint what I need them to fix and im not sure I know what the problem is yet.

Thanks
Matt

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:17 PM
stempsons
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

do you have samples? are you testing with a tripod? the 35 1.4 is not as sharp at f/1.4 as it is at f/2 (at least mine isn't...)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=121&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=121&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:38 PM
matthew.lumpp

p.1 #3 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

I will get some samples uploaded soon. Before whatever went wrong with my camera/lens, I never used to have a problem shooting at 1.4. At lease, it was as noticeably soft as it is now anyway. I just dont know if the problem is in the camera or the lens. And I don't have another 5d to test with.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

Which AF point and AF type? Center AF point is most accurate on the 5D2

Have you tried microadjusting?

After reading your second post-
It started off fine? Things got worse over time?

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:55 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #5 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

I think that might have more to do with the camera low light focusing capability rather than the lens...my 5D3 front focuses like crazy in low light and spot on when the light improves (like in your case with flash as the IR assist kicks in ?). One test would be to take it outside, increase the shutter speed and try it @ f/1.4 and see if there's a difference. If it's sharp, it's not the lens.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM
matthew.lumpp

p.1 #6 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

Yes, a couple months ago I noticed that nothing was in focus with the 5d. Then I also noticed on the lens that below f2 ish, nothing was in focus.

At this point I dont know which has the problem as I have sent both to Canon and they have "fixed" them. But they don't seem to be working as they should.

Before the problems, I never noticed that 1.4 was unusable.

I will take some photos outside tomorrow and see what happens. I just thought it was interesting that I was getting the sharpness I was getting while using the flash compared to not using it.

Yes I have tried micro-adjusting. Not extensively yet. Just bummed that even after they "fixed" it, its not right.

I use center point, single shot for the AF.

Thanks,
Matt

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

matthew.lumpp wrote:
Ive got a 5d2 and 35mm 1.4 and I just got both of them back from CPS service. I was getting soft/out of focus shots so I sent it in.

They said "It was found that the adjustment of the circuit board was inforrect and ectrical adjustments were made" on the 5d2

On the lens: They said the whole autofocus system was broken and replaced it all, plus some other stuff which I thought was crazy. I dont know how this could have been as its a fairly new lens (UZ date code) and there was barely a scratch on the
...Show more

This is not uncommon with the 35 1.4 lens. Our local retailer (Roberts Camera) had three copies on the shelf that exhibited the same problem. Canon NJ service finally fixed the one I bought but often it takes a couple of trips to the service center to fix this type of thing. There is something strange that happens with some 35L's that makes them a dog at wide apertures. There is an easy way to test for this by focusing on something more than 30 feet away using an aperture wider than f1.8. The affected lenses will never accurately focus on the distant subject. The results are better up close, but still not sharp, even with micro adjust.

I offer this info cause I went through months of sorting through this with my lens. Not fun.

Mark

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM
matthew.lumpp

p.1 #8 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

Thank you for that info Mark! Sound pretty much like my situation, especially the distance and lack of focus. What should I tell include in the description next time I send this in so they fix it?

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

I also agree with Mark. My friend had the same problem with his 35L and have to send it in and get it adjusted. In the end he changed it to another copy of the lens

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:15 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

I sent one in once, came back with note that there was a misaligned element. It was stellar on every body I had after the fix.

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:26 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

matthew.lumpp wrote:
Thank you for that info Mark! Sound pretty much like my situation, especially the distance and lack of focus. What should I tell include in the description next time I send this in so they fix it?

Just tell them that it's still not focusing on distant subjects @ f1.4 - 1.8.

Once they have a service item open they will not charge you to send in again. Usually they will send you a free shipping label too.

Mark

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:59 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 35mm 1.4 problem, need advice

My 35L focuses with amazing accuracy on my old trusted 5Dclassic. f/1.4 is a lot less sharp than f/2 and up. But it's sharp enough for wedding winners. As I understand from your issue, your combination is not sharp enough at f/1.4.

You might want to set it up at a sharp target, focus manually and take a series of 20 images from just in front to just behind the subject, turning the focusing ring every so slightly between the shots. Set up the target at three different distances and repeat. Check the sharpest image in each sequence and judge sharpness. If you get sharp images, you know there is no misalignment of lens elements. You will have an AF issue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password