Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Sometimes we tend to underestimate the significance that diverse after-market accessories have for the effective and efficient use of long lenses, such as 500mm f4.
We are fortunate to have several smaller companies which cater to such needs with some clever and good quality products.
Here is my choice of the best low & medium cost accessories for long telephoto lenses. It would be great if you could add some others to my list, which you have had good experience with.

(1) Don Zeck's protection cap for lens front objective.
(2) Canon wide lens strap (Introduced recently with MkII supertelephoto lenses, but it can be bought separately as well)
(3) Tenba or Kinesis long lens shoulder (top loading) cases
(4) Lenscoat "Hoodie"
(5) Manfrotto 681 monopod (Singled out here because of its great performance/$ ratio)
(6) QR compatible replacement feet (several manufacturers)

Edited on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

I'm with you on the Zeck cap, haven't thought yet of getting a Lenscoat "Hoodie" but I have dressed my 500 in a Lenscoat. I have replaced the lens foot with a RRS foot, and I have put a RRS head on my Gitzo monopod, as well as a RRS head on my Gitzo tripod. Now I just need some more daylight and more moderate temperatures here in Interior Alaska to get out and use the blasted thing! -27 degrees as I write this. Sun is just coming up over yonder Alaska Range at 10:15am.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

I'm using all of this stuff for my 200/1.8L, 300/2.8L IS, and 500/4L IS.

1. Zeck, without handle installed
2. "Straps, we don't need no stinking straps!" *
3. Kinesis long and short-fat lens cases
4. LensCoat body covers, digital camo - tres shiek, and LensCoat hoodies (hard disk inserts removed), also tres shiek
5. variety of tri- and mono-pods
6. RRS and 4th Gen footies
7. genuine Canon drop-in CPL filters (when appropriate)
8. genuine Canon EOS rear caps

* When using multiple bodies including one with a big white on a monopod, I use a short webbing "hero loop" around the lens body at the tripod foot location, in order to clip a carabiner on the top of the lens into a sling loop worn diagonally across my torso. This prevents the biggie on monopod from falling over, while I use one of the other bodies with both hands. You can probably figure out how the rest of it works, given a pair of Domke Gripper straps.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Jim, that sounds like a very good way of securing a big lens while shooting with another body/lens.

A few questions:
Why do you remove the hard disk from "Hoodies" ? Foldability ?
What is your least expensive monopod that you can trust the 500 with ?
When do you use drop in CPLs.
Do you ever mount/remove the Zeck's cap while the hood is on the lens ?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

pretty much all that stuff is universal to Nikon too except for Canon specific components.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

sjms wrote:
pretty much all that stuff is universal to Nikon too except for Canon specific components.

Yes, indeed.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

sjms wrote:

PetKal wrote:
Yes, indeed.

That's why it's on this forum.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

well when its stated as and I quote "Canon long lens accessories: our favourites"
sounds a little brand specific don't you think?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

OK, I've removed "Canon" from the topic title.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

PetKal wrote:
Jim, that sounds like a very good way of securing a big lens while shooting with another body/lens.

A few questions:

Hi Peter,

Why do you remove the hard disk from "Hoodies" ? Foldability ?

The hard disk makes it wobbily when you stand the lens on its nose, when the hoodie is on the hood, in shooting position.

What is your least expensive monopod that you can trust the 500 with ?

Feisol CM-1471 Rapid (least expensive isn't necessarily least good).

OTOH, Manfrotto Neo-Tec 685B is really great when weight and compressed length aren't of concern.

When do you use drop in CPLs.

When I want to control reflected light.

Do you ever mount/remove the Zeck's cap while the hood is on the lens ?

Yes, often.

It's easy to remove a bare Zeck from a hooded lens when you're not wearing gloves. You slip a finger tip or two between the edge of the Zeck and the hood, and then you pry/lever/pull/pop the Zeck off. If you're wearing gloves, you take one of them off, then you remove the Zeck, and then you put the glove back on.

It's even easier to attach the Zeck, you just have to be careful to press evenly around the circumference (same as if the handle is attached).

P.S. the no-handle Zeck and no-hard-disk hoodie are partners in providing satisfactory results for parking your big white "nose down" on the ground.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Jim, you and I seem to use hoodies for different purposes. I use mine on lenses proper, i.e., not on the hoods, only when the lenses are in short term storage at home, in their bags.

That Feisol monopod looks good, it's priced twice as high as Manfrotto 681, but that is probably because of CF.

Again with the handle on the Zeck's cap, I never rest my lenses on their nose outside, and that is only where I use the cap. Therefore, to me the handle is an added convenience with no negatives.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

I tell you for a real nice monopod the Sirui P-326 is an amazing value. Stable on the sidelines, can almost store in your back pocket, ok maybe not, but it fits inside my airport security no problem. This is nice when flying and rolling on my bag. It is super light and opens and locks quick. 99 bucks for CF.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

PetKal wrote:
Jim, you and I seem to use hoodies for different purposes. I use mine on lenses proper, i.e., not on the hoods, only when the lenses are in short term storage at home, in their bags.

That 'splains it!

I use the hoodies on my mounted hoods to keep carp off the unprotected front elements. I often put the biggies nose down, on attached hood, with body on top. If installed, the hard disk insert in the hoodies makes the system wobbly, because it doesn't fit entirely inside the rim of the hood. So, I take out the insert. OTOH, when the hood is reversed, I still sometimes put the biggie nose down, but the soft hoodie offers no protection for the front element. Enter Zeck! No handle, because that makes it wobbily.

'Ain't life wonderful!

P.S. I use the Zeck caps just like 'normal' lens caps. Once I start taking photos, the Zeck goes in my back pocket (I have large back pockets). When I'm finished, I lock it down with a Zeck. In between (the start and end of taking photos), I use the hoodies.

P.P.S. I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm consiously avoiding the words 'shooting' and 'shoot'. Please, let me know if I lapse back into the easy and inappropriate vernacular.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

jcolwell wrote:
P.S. I use the Zeck caps just like 'normal' lens caps. Once I start taking photos, the Zeck goes in my back pocket (I have large back pockets). When I'm finished, I lock it down with a Zeck.

That might change once you get the 600 f/4.....the Zeck's cap C10 is of the size of a dinner plate.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Wickedfn4u wrote:
I tell you for a real nice monopod the Sirui P-326 is an amazing value. Stable on the sidelines, can almost store in your back pocket, ok maybe not, but it fits inside my airport security no problem. This is nice when flying and rolling on my bag. It is super light and opens and locks quick. 99 bucks for CF.

Thanx, Wicked...I'll check it out. I think that Sirui brand might a newcomer to the N. American market ?

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

PetKal wrote:
That might change once you get the 600 f/4.....the Zeck's cap C10 is of the size of a dinner plate.

I'll put it in my thigh pocket - I have 'outdoor' pants from Cabela's, Lehi UT.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Love that avatar.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:01 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

jcolwell wrote:
Love that avatar.

Thanx, he's refreshingly creative and humorous.......I like what the lad did.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:07 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

Wimberley gimbal head.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:52 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Long lens accessories: our favourites

I see that there is continued recommendation of using a monopod.

I disagree .... personal preference.

I find the Bushhawk gives me far more flexibility and equals the stability of a monopod.

The 500 mm on a Bushhawk provides a muck quicker way of tracking BIF. I still have problems acquiring BIF with the vaunted Gitzo and gimbal combination. I realize that it is technique - but the learning curve is rough.

A 500 mm lens combination on a Bushhawk makes it easer for me to acquire (you name the bird in flite!).

Just my experience for what it is worth.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password