Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question about Lee Filter system

richuwo11

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Question about Lee Filter system

So I have been looking into purchasing the Lee filter kit. I am planning on buying the foundation kit which is basically just the filter holder. In addition to the holder, you need an adapter ring. Now this is where I'm confused... at the moment I have two primes, the 50 f/1.8G (58 mm filter) and the 28 f/1.8G (67 mm filter) and I will be purchasing the 85 f/1.8G (also 67 mm filter) very shortly.

My next lenses I will purchase will most likely be either the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 24-70 f/2.8 which both have 77 mm filter sizes. Can I just buy the 77 mm adapter ring and use a step-up ring to go from 67 mm to attach to the 77 mm adapter ring? Or do I need to buy a 67 mm adapter ring?

I'm just trying to save myself from buying multiple adapter rings (in Canada they cost anywhere from $50-$100 for each ring).

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Question about Lee Filter system

That's a pretty steep price for a round piece of metal....I don't see any problem in getting the largest Lee ring (77) and a 67->77 and a 58->77
The only issue I can think of if you use multiple step up rings with a wide angle lens an run into a vignetting problem...
I used the system a lot when I shot film, mostly for color correction. I may get back into it with some gradated ND filters, which aren't all that cheap either!

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #3 · Question about Lee Filter system

Thanks for the response Micky. Does anyone else have experience with using step-up rings and the Lee Filter system.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #4 · Question about Lee Filter system

I waited almost 6 months on a backordered Lee 77MM ring before I bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160952653824

It works very well, I don't know how the Lee ring could be any better. At $12.95 you should be able to afford getting several rings in the sizes you need., No extra step rings to carry around.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Question about Lee Filter system

I have been using the Lee filter holder about 8 years or so. the advice on getting the biggest one you are going to use and then stepdown rings is good advice. I would also advise that you get the wide angle version and not the standard. for future use it is a definite plus for superwide zooms.
I have both a 72 and 77mm w/a ring and from there I can adapt.

the longest I waited so far for a lee ring was just recently and that was for the 72mm. it was 2 weeks from my supplier.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:04 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #6 · Question about Lee Filter system

Thanks a lot guys. Great information there.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #7 · Question about Lee Filter system

Has anyone come up with some sort of "cap" you can put on the 77mm WA Lee adaptor? I'd like to leave it on my lens, but not unless I can find a cap that would work for it so the lens isn't exposed. Kind of a pain screwing it on and off all the time.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM
gardenvalley
• • •
p.1 #8 · Question about Lee Filter system

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/lens-cap

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danny Michael

p.1 #9 · Question about Lee Filter system

I was hoping for something that I could actually purchase. It seems this product is never in stock. Appreciate the link, it gives me hope anyways.

I found this, which should work fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/179425-REG/OP_TECH_USA_8001132_Hood_Hat_Large.html

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM
michaels photo

p.1 #10 · Question about Lee Filter system

http://www.2filter.com/Leefilters/LeeFilters4x4.html

This place has Lee adapters/filters and white adpater caps... in stock.

Have a good one!

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #11 · Question about Lee Filter system

Just tried calling them to verify stock (they were closed), since the last time I tried ordering from them I discovered their website does not inventory stock and 2 days after placing my order I was told it was not in stock and cancelled my order. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM
michaels photo

p.1 #12 · Question about Lee Filter system

Oh...sorry I did not know, that is where I got mine without any issues, of course it was a couple months ago.

Good luck on your search.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Danny Michael

p.1 #13 · Question about Lee Filter system

I'll post back tomorrow after I call them, hopefully after placing my order! Thanks for reminding me about them, I had forgotten to give them a look.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked your thread. It reminded me of my need to find a cap and I should have started a new thread.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM
richuwo11

p.1 #14 · Question about Lee Filter system

Danny Michael wrote:
I'll post back tomorrow after I call them, hopefully after placing my order! Thanks for reminding me about them, I had forgotten to give them a look.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked your thread. It reminded me of my need to find a cap and I should have started a new thread.

No worries, it's still related. I never even thought of buying a cap for that, but may consider it now...thanks.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #15 · Question about Lee Filter system

I went ahead and ordered the caps. Received an email they would be in stock next week.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password