Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change s...

Wes Bailey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

Hi all,

I've read through the D700 manual and haven't found an answer - nor do I think it is possible but that is why I am asking. Is there any way to change the size of the exposure compensation scale that is displayed in the lower right of the viewfinder?

I shoot in manual mode for night time images and need to know how far past 0 (i.e., over-exposed) I am shooting but really can't tell because it seems the scale is too small/not expansive enough and exposure values max out. For example, I shot a star scene last night using manual, ISO 1600, f/3.5, and 13-seconds but I wanted to know how much more exposed the scene would be if I increased the time to 20-seconds (all other parameters remained the same) but the exposure scale maxed out at a certain level. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your time,

Wes Bailey

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Wes Bailey
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

I find it odd that the exposure compensation scale won't display the full range of values from 0 to +5 which is a different from my old Canon. For me this is only an issue in manual mode while shooting long exposures at night where I need to see how over-exposed (e.g., where along the scale above 0) the scene will be if I increase shutter time. Just curious if there is a fix or not. Anyone?

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

The scale in the viewfinder goes from -2 to +2. The scale on the LCD on top of the camera goes from -3 to +3. I don't believe there is a way to change this.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
mike-in-ak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

And the scale shown on the back lcd when using the info button shows -3 to +3 as well.

This is by design and can not be altered. If you are using EV, you can mentally track it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

Increased 1/2 stop going from 13 to 20 seconds. Going to 26 seconds would be 1 stop. Check out "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Last summer I was out during a huge power outage and ignored the meter. I was using the second hand on my watch for exposures up to 5 minutes. I told you it was dark!

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Graystar

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

If you change Custom Setting "b2:EV Steps for Exposure Cntrl." to 1/2 step then you'll get 3 EV in the viewfinder display.

You can also use the Exposure Compensation button to bias the meter...kinda like applying a pre-compensation. So if you're running into the end of your exposure indicator, you can simply apply +3 EC and now the center of the viewfinder indicator represent a +3 exposure...giving you an actual viewfinder exposure range of 0 though +6. You can apply +/-5 EC easily with the EC button.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:24 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 exposure compensation scale in viewfinder - change size?

Each click of the wheel is either 1/2 stop, or 1/3 stop depending on your settings..i would run the meter over to where you can tell where you're at, then just count clicks...fairly easy...

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password