Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I see all the posts about Photomechanic speeding up workflow. How does it do that, what are the benefits of adding another step?
Thanks!

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 02:06 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

My workflow

- Ingest (what they call importing) photos into PM using multiple card readers at the same time. I usually download 2 cards at a time into the program.

- No waiting time for previews to render. I have PM set up so it writes color coding & stars to XMP so LR reads it. After the cards are downloaded I just hit the arrow keys and #1 or #2 on my keypad to cull images. Can go through a wedding in 10-15 mins or so.

- Import images into LR. I've got a pretty fast machine but culling through PM is way faster than LR.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:00 PM
skiboarder72
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I 2nd what scott said, these are the major reasons. In short it will save significant time culling and importing into LR (since you will cull BEFORE)

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

+1000

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:32 PM
micla

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Photo mechanic has changed my life, especially with size of files out of the d800. I ingest all the files and can immediately start reviewing the images (while the others are loaded). In lightroom, I couldn't do that and it would take forever to see the sharpness of the photo. There is very little delay in photo mechanic. View, zoom, select. Saves me SOOO much time. Can cull in half the time now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM
micla

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Scott Mosher wrote:
My workflow

- Ingest (what they call importing) photos into PM using multiple card readers at the same time. I usually download 2 cards at a time into the program.

- No waiting time for previews to render. I have PM set up so it writes color coding & stars to XMP so LR reads it. After the cards are downloaded I just hit the arrow keys and #1 or #2 on my keypad to cull images. Can go through a wedding in 10-15 mins or so.

- Import images into LR. I've got a pretty fast machine but culling through
...Show more

Spot on!

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

If you're a Canon shooter, their free software does just about everything PM can do; and just as fast. However, you have to ask yourself if you need ratings or cropping to follow over to LR. That's about the only thing that you can't do. If you don't need that, Canon's utilities get the job done just fine. I don't know too many people that do any actual editing in PM. Thus, I don't see the need for the extra spending, personally.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I use the sort of similar faststone image viewer which is free. Basically for instant previews, you can do your initial culling very fast without waiting for previews to render from the RAWs.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:56 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I love using PM to cull and sort images. I use a color system for trash, keeper, blog, and portfolio - and these all transfer over to LR upon import.

Necessary - probably not, but its certainly handy and speeds things up a lot for me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Mark_L wrote:
I use the sort of similar faststone image viewer which is free. Basically for instant previews, you can do your initial culling very fast without waiting for previews to render from the RAWs.

+1 same here. I've tried PM a few times over the years because of all the forum discussions. In the end I think Fastone Image Viewer is just as good. I haven't found anything in PM that I would use over Fastone Image Viewer.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:29 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I've tried Photomechanic... I really don't see it's benefits over just using lightroom. I'm using an i7 machine overclocked to 4.2ghz, and lightroom isn't really that much slower than photomechanic. My raw files are from a 5d3

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:24 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I find PM puts a color cast on my images - when I open them in ACR, they look noticeably different.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Basically it's a really fast way of sorting through images. And you can kind of look at it as a filter. Throw out all the crap shots right off the bat and import only the keepers into lightroom.

For photojournalist's and photo editors; Photomechanic provides the quickest method for typing captions into metadata than any other application available and it can also be used to transmit your photos via a built in FTP client.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

I tried it. But in the end, for me, I found little benifit.

When I get home from a wedding my images are already backed up to a hyperdrive. So, I just hook that up to my computer and let Lightroon ingest all the files and create previews while I'm sleeping. Keywording and copyright is all done. The next day I can cull very quickly using the arrow kets and Lightrooms cull/pick/rating controls. The first thing I do is cull by individual camera. Then when that's done I sync all the times in LR and do a final pass showing all cameras. It takes me about an hour to go from 200 images to 6-700.

This is what works for me. Other have different workflows, of course.

Gordon

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

cordellwillis wrote:
+1 same here. I've tried PM a few times over the years because of all the forum discussions. In the end I think Fastone Image Viewer is just as good. I haven't found anything in PM that I would use over Fastone Image Viewer.

On the FastStone site, it says their image viewer was last updated on 2011-06-29. Will it work with raw files from newer cameras?

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Mike Yamin wrote:
On the FastStone site, it says their image viewer was last updated on 2011-06-29. Will it work with raw files from newer cameras?

Works with my D800, can't speak for other cameras. I do have the windows nef codec installed though, not sure if that makes any difference.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why do I want Photomechanic?

Great, thanks Mark. I have a D800 as well, so I guess I'll give it a try.

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password