Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shooting on Washington DC Mall?

joesmosax
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting on Washington DC Mall?

With a strobe, assistant, and tripod at night- will I run into any problems? I'm thinking something near the lincoln(engagement shoot). Any rules I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Joe

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM
TJSarchett

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting on Washington DC Mall?

I've shot there at night, and had no problems, but I wasn't shooting any models/clients. It didn't look like it would have mattered though.

The later you go the fewer people may be in the way. When I was there it was warmer, and didn't get dark until 8 or so, and even at 10:30-11:00 and later there were still people milling about. Weekends are worse-more tourists. This time of year there may not be as many peope that late as it's much cooler.

There are guards about, but they probably won't even come up to you unless you ask for them.

Oh, and be respectful of the location...

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting on Washington DC Mall?

http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/2008/06/shooting-with-a-tripod-in-dc/

(Old article but ...)

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:15 PM
TJSarchett

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting on Washington DC Mall?

Ronny,
Great info, thanks for the official word. My experience was that I was never approached by park police to show a permit, but again, I didn't have any models/clients I was shootin. Just me, wife, bikes, tripod and camera...and about two o'clock in the morning!
We actually approached some of the police and spoke with them about photos while we were at the capitol bldg and they never mentioned anything about permits either. Not saying it won't happen to someone else, that was just my experience that one time.
Shooting in the mall at night rocks. The capitol can be especially cool when they're in session, the dome lights are on.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password