Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

charlandk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Anyone who is shooting sports with the D700, are you shooting JPEG to get some extra frames per second or shooting RAW and living with a slightly slow frame/sec count to have greater ability to post process your images?

Any thoughts on D600 for sports? 5-6 frames/sec vs 8-9 with a gripped D700 shooting JPEG

Thank you!

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

I just recently upgraded to the D3s, before that I was shooting the D700 with grip. NEVER shot jpeg.

To be honest I never missed a shot due to the camera frame rate.

I also shoot with the D7000 and I find from time to time I wish it had a higher frame rate but at the end of the day 5-6 (or 8-9 with the D700) frames vs 10+ was an acceptable compromise.

Trevor

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

The gripped D700 shoots a max of 8 fps...RAW or Jpeg The D3 will give you 9 fps...but only in DX mode.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

That is my thought exactly. I have a good friend who primarily shoots sports. She recently told me that she shoots JPEG and I was a bit surprised. My understanding of that camera is that she should be able to get close to 8 fps gripped even shooting RAW. Her pictures are good but her reasoning was to get a little faster frame rate. She only does very minor post processing in LR but I think she can shoot RAW with her D700, still be plenty fast and then be able to make her pics pop more with her pp.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:01 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

D700's no slouch when things get movin'....
Handheld Jpeg SOOC

© riversbendphotography

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:29 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

I'm not familiar with Nikon cameras, but with Canon the difference is not fps it is in total frame in the burst before the buffer fills. With a Canon 7D and a fast card shooting Raw you can get 25 frames in a burst and shooting jpeg you can get 110 frames. So the difference is in length of burst.

Bill

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Monkey,

I just looked up the specs and of course you are correct

My issue with the D700 used to be that in order to get the 8fps you had to use the D3s battery (EN-EL3). You could use the "8 AA" tray but after only a few minutes of shooting the fps would drop as the battery power dropped.

Either way, it's best to focus on other aspects of photography before thinking about fps...... all the fps in the world can't help you if you don't get the exposure right (or at least close)

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:33 AM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Bill,
I believe you are spot on. It is not so much her fps but more the buffer when she shoots RAW.

Her images are good. Her eye for the action and her technique and exposures are very good hense very minor pp in LR but just feel like she could get more out of the images if she shot RAW but I am not a sports photographer so decided to check here before talking to her more about the subject.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:38 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Trevor, actually it's the D2Xs/D3/D3x/D3s battery...the EN-EL4a. I used to use AA Eneloops in the grip
with no issues, but went to using the same in 3 cameras ^ Agree about fps if focus/exposure ain't right.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:40 AM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Any idea how the buffer rate on the D600 compares to the D700? I know it is about 6 fps vs about 8 on the 700.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

I'm not exactly sure why this is a sports-related topic, but what the heck. I'll dive in.

I shoot thousands and thousands of sports images every year and always shoot jpeg for sports action. I guess the question I have is, what is it about jpeg images that isn't working that would cause you to considering shooting raw? There isn't a right or wrong way of doing this, so I'm not sure why any of it matters. As Trevorma said, there are other, more important issues to worry about. But if you nail exposure in the first place, I'm not sure what the need is for shooting RAW when shooting sports action.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Its a sports-related topic because as I stated, I was trying to find out the advantage vs disadvantage of shooting jpeg vs raw in a sports setting and as i stated, I am not a sports photographer so what forum would be better to ask such a question?

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Scott,

Even if you nail the exposure and white balance, the RAW file processed by Lightroom looks worlds better to me than the jpeg. And that's with just the images being ingested by lightroom and rendered by lightroom, with no changes to white balance or exposure. This is especially true at the highest ISO's.

Does that make it necessary for you to achieve your ends? No. But you're looking at it from the perspective of someone who's shooting on deadline.

You're also using a mk2 (which is the last canon camera I really enjoyed using). Newer cameras really have improved the dynamic range of files, and RAW really lets you work with that if you wish (and if you have time to do so).

I think it's a matter of different horses for different courses.

as to the original question: I wouldn't prioritize quality of image vs frame rate the same every time. It's a case by case basis. I'll sometimes break out my D3x, which shoots at about 2 frames a second (in 14bit raw mode), for football. And other times I'm shooting 8fps on a D300, because I need to get as many frames of a pack as possible.

The D700 is really a sweet spot pricewise, and if you're invested in the 3 series Nikon, it's a nice pickup. For example, I have a D300 and grip, and I have a D3x and D3s'. I can use the D300's grip and special cap along with a spare D3x/s battery and really turn the D700 into a blazing fast camera. I may pick one up for a higher end beater than my D300 (which recently came back from Nikon hospital fully recovered and ready to shoot another few hundred thousand images).

anyhow, shoot whatever works best for you. I'd really try a low stress situation and go RAW plus Jpeg. Then try to work with each set separately, and see which one works for you based on your priorities, equipment, etc.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Thanks PShizzy
You seem to understand what I was trying to get at. Again, my friends pics are really really good but I shoot weddings and know what shooting in raw can do vs jpeg and was trying to talk to her about that and having that little bit of extra wiggle room to really make her pics pop.

Think she is going to borrow my D600 to take along with her D700 next time and give it a shot. It is definately a slower camera (fps) but the buffer may be faster where shooting raw for her wont be as much of a problem.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:07 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

ask a sports question and the sports pro moves it here.i was wanting to read the comments to your question.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

charlandk wrote:
Anyone who is shooting sports with the D700, are you shooting JPEG to get some extra frames per second or shooting RAW and living with a slightly slow frame/sec count to have greater ability to post process your images?

Any thoughts on D600 for sports? 5-6 frames/sec vs 8-9 with a gripped D700 shooting JPEG

Thank you!

The D700 would only give up how many raw files vs jpg you could shoot before the buffer fills.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

Trevorma wrote:
Monkey,

I just looked up the specs and of course you are correct

My issue with the D700 used to be that in order to get the 8fps you had to use the D3s battery (EN-EL3). You could use the "8 AA" tray but after only a few minutes of shooting the fps would drop as the battery power dropped.

Either way, it's best to focus on other aspects of photography before thinking about fps...... all the fps in the world can't help you if you don't get the exposure right (or at least close)

Well you get the best of both worlds with the D700, fast fps and the camera really meters well (you still have to know what you are doing) but I wouldn't get to hung up on the exposure, the 700 in THAT good

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

trenchmonkey wrote:
The gripped D700 shoots a max of 8 fps...RAW or Jpeg :doh: The D3 will give you 9 fps...but only in DX mode.

The D3 frame rate is up to 9fps in full frame with full focus tracking and exposure - RAW or JPEG. Up to 11fps in DX but with focus and exposure fixed at first exposure. Having used both the D3 and D700 w/grip over the past several years, you do notice the slight difference between the two cameras when it comes to max overall speed with action sports photography.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

good call on the 9 & 11...been SO long since I cranked 'er up that fast, I'd forgotten. Thanks!
(amazing what ya can forget in a 5 yr span)

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

charlandk wrote:
Any idea how the buffer rate on the D600 compares to the D700? I know it is about 6 fps vs about 8 on the 700.

Max fps of the D600 is 5.5fps regardless if DX vs FX or grip with extra battery or not.
D700 does up to 5fps with the EN-EL3e battery; 8fps if with grip and EN-EL4a battery of the D2 and D3 series.

D600 specs, buffer sizes page 335 of the manual: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17980/~/user's-manual---d600---user's-manual
Low of 16 at NEF 14bit to high of 100 in JPEG Normal.

D700 specs, buffer sizes on page 423 of the manual: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15979/~/user's-manual---d700---guide-to-digital-photography
Low of 17 NEF 14 bit to high of 100 JPEG FINE.

Some settings will affect the buffer size. Having ADL, noise reduction, high ISO, and other corrections will reduce the buffer.

Unless one has a specific need for a specific fps and buffer size, when photographing sports best to: a) learn the sport and know the players, and learn to anticipate the action; b) learn how your camera performs in your hands under your specific situation; c) practice; d) practice some more.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.