FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 7D compared to 5D3

Mike1.6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7D compared to 5D3

Imagemaster wrote:
Once again, this was just a rough comparison using shots from the way I shoot most often. ...

.....Maybe when the sun comes out and it gets warmer, I will do a more exacting comparison.

Both shots are plenty sharp enough for me.

Thanks for those Tony. I agree that both shots are plenty sharp enough, although I prefer the light balance in the 7D shot. I've been toying with the idea of selling my 7D to help fund a 500mm but you've made me reconsider. For now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7D compared to 5D3

Thanks for posting this comparison. My upgrade from 5D2 to 3 is justified by its promised f8 AF (100-400) allowing me to use just the 5D3 when travel weight is an issue. These images are close enough to demonstrate there is little IQ trade. So 7D + 5D when I can and just 5D when I must. Good deal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Iman113
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7D compared to 5D3

My question: generally is there enough of a difference or improvement in IQ to justify the "upgrade" from 7D to 5DIII or is it best to wait for the next sensor upgrade (5DIV?). I realize there's no general answer but was wondering about people's opinions.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7D compared to 5D3

Iman113 wrote:
My question: generally is there enough of a difference or improvement in IQ to justify the "upgrade" from 7D to 5DIII or is it best to wait for the next sensor upgrade (5DIV?). I realize there's no general answer but was wondering about people's opinions.

If you're shooting landscapes, portraits, macro or architecture and make big prints, yes! It will be money well spent. If you merely display in web galleries or monitor or make small prints (8x12 or smaller), nope.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Dave Bachrach
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7D compared to 5D3

Tony,

Thanks for posting the comparison!

Dave

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7D compared to 5D3

Yeah but what about using 500 + 1.4x on the 7D? We all know the 5D3 produces better quality when you give it more focal length to match 7D FOV. It's when you can't that you wish you had the 7D.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7D compared to 5D3

While we're talking about 5D3 focusing, how have you guys found the performance of the outer linear points? I'm wondering about the Group E lens set where only the center cloud is cross type. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.