Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My cousin

samfowler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My cousin

A portrait I took of my cousin. Looking for some critique and opinions....

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My cousin

Looks like you've got some mixed lighting going on.

The catchlight in her (camera) left eye is very cyanic, while the sclera in her right eye is rather magenta.

What was your lighting setup? It kinda looks like you might have windows from multiple directions in play or a mixture of window light and strobe.

Edited on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:59 PM
samfowler

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My cousin

Nice - and thanks for the critique. Lights were natural light thru windows on front, left and right. I love the modification you made!! Thanks for the input.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My cousin

Thanks, glad you like the tweaks.

Front, right & left. My mind was telling me that, but I didn't really think that all three simultaneously was probable ... which left me scratching my head a bit. WB is tough enough with consistent lighting color. Two different colors makes it tricky, but three gets kinda convoluted.

Any chance you recall which window was facing North (South, East or West)?

I'll hazard a guess that with the southern exposure and the sun low in the winter sky, the middle window is North. That puts the other two windows @ East/West and the time of day for the shot not too far on either side of midday ... likely incorrect, but wth no guts, no glory.

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:35 PM
samfowler

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My cousin

The left side of the picture - her right eye - was north. Its a very windowy house.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My cousin

Okay, so if camera left was north, is that then the largest catchlight (i.e. most cyanic) in her right eye. I was assuming the largest catchlight to be the middle window, thinking that her position didn't reflect the left window, but only the middle & right.

Looking at it more closely, is that a third catchlight at the edge of her iris/sclera that would be the right window then ... still making the cyanic catchlight the northlight? It also looks to be the largest window. Do you recall relative distances from the three windows, i.e. which one was closest/farthest?

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 07:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My cousin

It's fairy important to catch the attention of the little one. One way is to purse your lips and make a loud squeaky "kissing" noise by sucking in air. It usually grabs their attention long enough to catch a candid with the little look at the camera.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:56 PM
samfowler

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My cousin

Her right side window is pretty far approx 16 ft away - the front of her the window was maybe 7 feet from her in front. The baby side - the window was most likely 14 feet away from the baby but most light on the baby was coming from a high window about 10 feet up on the wall. Its a big dinning room she was standing in and with an open kitchen to the left of her with a bunch of windows there as well. Its a really big open area and with a lot of windows and sky lights.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:01 PM
samfowler

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My cousin

AuntiPode wrote:
It's fairy important to catch the attention of the little one. One way is to purse your lips and make a loud squeaky "kissing" noise by sucking in air. It usually grabs their attention long enough to catch a candid with the little look at the camera.

Thanks...I will try that in the future.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:06 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My cousin

Compliments to Rusty who reduced the color saturation making the portrait more natural, realistic, and flattering.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My cousin

Thanks,

I really only pulled back the saturation in the cyan to help with the cast after tweaking on WB trying to deal with it, then pulled back some yellow (hair) as well. For me, the issue is figuring out any offending cast first. Imo, an image can tolerate some heavier sat if it doesn't have a cast (i.e. neutral), or it can be dialed back when it isn't trying to fight its way through a cast.

Either way, I'm always on guard for the need to minimize cast issues first. Then, you can S&P to taste, style & preferences with greater flexibility and range.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password