FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Say Something Nice

spink
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Say Something Nice

Where to start! This list could be huge...

Evan Baines - He has inspired me in so many ways. In addition to the inspiration, he has taken the time to chat with me a few times and is always willing to talk shop. He tells it how it is and that's exactly what people need to hear. Even though he's not doing photography professionally, he's still lurking here offering advice. That just speaks to his nature and true passion for photography.

Tony Hoffer - You have offered me advice a few times and it's always spot on. I still can't get over how you've stepped up in this community and how much time you put in. Well done sir. /golf clap

TRReichman - He offers very good business advice! You better listen...

Reason - I miss this guy. I guess he got tired of always being right and watching people p00p the bed.

Spencer

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Say Something Nice

For me...

Tony Hoffer - so that I can continue to plagiarize... <ahem> be inspired.
Spencer B - practical ideas to think about.
TRReichman - for his pragmatism on photography business.
Chris Fawkes - for helping me with website stuff.
Canon - for making the perfect reportage wedding/portrait dream machine.... finally!
Fred Miranda - for this awesome site and announcing gear deals.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:29 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Say Something Nice

Time to bring this back guys. I'll just drop a couple of names quick. Jump in when whenever you're ready, follks.

@jmraso & @heiko - You guys both, though making very different work, get me thinking outside of the box about what the expected and normal wedding photography here in my part of the world looks like. It is less about weddings at all, but makes me think about the process and what I love about taking photos.

@LeeSimms - Consistent sound business advice and a good perspective of the long game. Your photos don't suck either.

Apr 12, 2018 at 08:30 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Say Something Nice

By nature & moreso upbringing, I tend to be a cynical person. I have tended to be jealous rather than inspired, to criticize instead of compliment, to ignore great work instead of studying it, and to walk alone instead of with my peers. I'd love to single out Chuck, Colin Coleman & Micheal Beard for showing friendship when I put myself on an island. We're not friends per say, but Tony & Amy have let me borrow gear when I was in a jam even when I was practically a stranger to them and sat down with me and showed me images from their travels in the middle of the workday. Duy has always been an ear to chew on, I stalk Evan & Zalmys work way more than I am proud to admit because someday I want to not suck so bad and maybe if I look at their work incessantly, it will rub off on me. Ben Sandness & Jim Heine has been nothing but a positive influences at always timely junctions. Heiko consistently pushes the boundaries of art & wedding photography in courageous ways. The biggest shoutout to Mat Smith though, we've been working together for some years now and has grown into a close friend. Thankful for this corner of the interwebs.

Someday I'm going to pay it forward to you guys & everyone else in photography who has pulled me into a better place in life. Thank you.

Edited on Apr 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM · View previous versions

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Say Something Nice

I consider myself fortunate to have worked with many FM members over the years. I have shot multiple wedding with everyone on this list:

Angelito Jusay - Is a stand up individual that I have counted on for many years as a fantastic second, and person.

Chuck Anerino - A go with the flow kind of guy with a world of patience. Shoots some amazing work and always striving. Has helped me out of a jam more times than I can count! And has introduced me to some amazing photographers.

Jason Prezant - fun guy to be around, and always looking at things from a different perspective. Always will make time for you.

Scott Vuocolo - One of the more fortunate people I have met. Incredibly intelligent and an amazing artist

Chris Thomas - One of the more impressive individuals when it comes to composition and posing. I would call him chill too, but I think everyone I have worked with from FM fits that.

Kurtis - A talented guy and willing to travel to second shoot!

Tom Harmon - An honest individual, with no bullshit.

Diane - Knows what she wants, and what she doesn't. A great artist.

I feel like I am missing some. Trying to pull this list together has been an interesting exercise.

Thanks Chuck!!

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Say Something Nice

Wow, this was like, back at the tail end of the glory days at FM... Facebook had a lot of advantages, but drawbacks as well, and it’s a shame... but this thread makes me so happy, and just makes me want to go out in the real world and meet y’all, at least the ones I haven’t yet, and the ones I have I need to spend some more time with...

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Say Something Nice

Sooo many, a lot of the ones already mentioned .!

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:15 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Say Something Nice

Free oxytocin for everybody!

Apr 12, 2018 at 01:26 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Say Something Nice

A sincere thanks to everyone here. You guys have all been inspirations in some way, both in professional and technical ways. It would be hard to single you guys out without breaking the rules.

Screw it...thanks to Tony for making me try out the 58mm and the Godox/Flashpoint system.

Apr 12, 2018 at 04:23 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Say Something Nice

It's likely Facebook has put web forums like this on life support. Killed the most awesome Flickr SWPB group, which migrated to FB but then lost its mojo.

Apr 12, 2018 at 04:51 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Say Something Nice

Man. Remember when FM was great!?

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Say Something Nice

....yes.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:06 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Say Something Nice

I've seen this happen to forums before. Long time members stop posting as much as they used to, then return only to complain and say how much better it used to be. This snowballs as the other older members only chime in to agree. In reality, it used to be better because people like them were contributing interesting discussions. If they started doing that again instead of wistfully longing outloud for the olden days, things could improve.

I admit I haven't been a huge contributor to this board. I was pretty much just starting out when things were really active, but I have read and learned a lot here, and am grateful to many of the long-time contributors. This place was a welcome oasis from the "bright and airy" monolith that took over pretty much everywhere else. I still enjoy coming here despite the decreased activity. There are a lot of great photographers on here who's thoughts I enjoy reading.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Say Something Nice

ayjayy wrote:
I've seen this happen to forums before. Long time members stop posting as much as they used to, then return only to complain and say how much better it used to be. This snowballs as the other older members only chime in to agree. In reality, it used to be better because people like them were contributing interesting discussions. If they started doing that again instead of wistfully longing outloud for the olden days, things could improve.

I think the biggest reason the long-time contributors stopped posting is honestly because Facebook groups do a much better job of serving their (our) interests. Faster replies, more people, better layout for comments and replies... and perhaps most importantly, the ability to know who you're talking to. Forums just aren't really the best place for discussion in 2018. It's a shame, but it's true.

I could post a question in a Facebook group and have 45 answers in 30 minutes. In here, it would take 3 days just to get 10 answers. It's just where people are now. Even in the FM "glory days" you couldn't get that type of feedback in that amount of time.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Say Something Nice

Thanks, Tony. I'm not on FB, but this is what I was sensing.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Say Something Nice

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I think the biggest reason the long-time contributors stopped posting is honestly because Facebook groups do a much better job of serving their (our) interests. Faster replies, more people, better layout for comments and replies... and perhaps most importantly, the ability to know who you're talking to. Forums just aren't really the best place for discussion in 2018. It's a shame, but it's true.

I could post a question in a Facebook group and have 45 answers in 30 minutes. In here, it would take 3 days just to get 10 answers. It's just where people are now. Even
...Show more

And this insn't the only forum or even to photography forums that's happening too. I used to frequent automotive forums and those are just dead now. It's the same thing, due to social networks.

Apr 13, 2018 at 01:11 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Say Something Nice

I think Facebook is better for many things, worse for others. Critiques of sets of images (or any real critique for that matter) was generally much better here Han anywhere else. But since most seem to have migrated to Facebook there aren’t as many visiting here to really make it worth posting those sets anymore... at least that’s my experience.

Apr 13, 2018 at 01:12 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Say Something Nice

Thanks, tobicus! I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. Seems like a lifetime ago!

Can't believe I get to be the first to give kudos to nolaguy. Chuck has just been awesome on this board and to me personally. He's always so positive. He's not on here as much anymore, like me, but I appreciate him all the same.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:59 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Say Something Nice

Very kind of you, Ron. You must have skipped over most of my a**hole posts.

Particularly coming from one of FM's brightest talents, I appreciate it very much.

C

Apr 28, 2018 at 02:46 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Say Something Nice

Chuck has shown me more Kindness, support, wisdom and Insight than I could have imagined from someone I have never even have met in person.
He will never know what a help he was in getting me through the toughest period of my life and beyond.

I don't think he's ever mentioned anything photographic related to me, what he has related to me was a million times more significant and humbling in it's impact and meaning.

His great modesty belies what an incredible guy he is and how smart, insightful and intelligent as well. Why the hell he's ever done what he has for the likes of me I'll never know but I'll never forget it as long as I draw breath.

I can't begin to express my appreciation for what he's done for me nor can I ever say thank you enough.

Apr 28, 2018 at 03:46 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.