Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

The 6D is a great option, of course your 1D/1Ds are still very capable especially at low iso with some help from flash, a fast prime will also help here.

I'm a big fan of primes, the 85mm 1.8 is fantastic for kids, and it's quite small and lightweight. Another option is a macro lens like the 100mm f/2.8 L - fun for detail shots without having to worry about minimum focal distance, it will also do portraits at 'normal' distances very well!

If you've got flash you won't need the fast aperture and the 24-70 2.8 will do fine. However it's a brick and your wife may not like the weight.

What flash do you have? I like the 430EX or 580/600EX. One flash on camera is plenty, no setting up lights required, just bounce off the wall or ceiling and let ETTL take care of the rest. Of course you can set up more lights if you want to get creative.

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:30 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

even though I have posted earlier, I will give a little more perspective as a father of 2 young children (5 years and 7 months) whose childhood is very well documented.
Wtih my first baby, I purchased the original 5d, and used it with a tamron 28-75 2.8, and a 50 1.4, and a 70-200 2.8 IS. it all worked very admirably. I liked the close focusing of the tamron, and over all happy with low light shooting. I had a separate video camera. then I upgraded to 5d2. I loved the video, but it was not as easy and simple to use because of focus tracking. fine before they started moving around, but harder as they get older. accumulated a bunch of lenses, and looking back, my most common lenses became my primes. (50, and 85). I had a 40D alongside for a while which my wife enjoyed using b/c of smaller body. she took many great pictures of the kid.
Now, I also have the nex 5N. my wife loves it for video. the autofocus can be a little frustrating if you are used to dslr. this is esp true if you are shooting a fast prime. I do use it myself also on outings, with good light, as a light camera instead of my dslr, and also to social outings. it does great, however I love my 5d3.
second time around, I am also shooting more wide (35, 24 primes) which has a nicer documentary feel.
However, looking back at my humble 5d images, I still find them quite good. make sure whatever you get, your wife likes using.
as for flash, I have done them both ways, just using window light, and using strobes. for new born when they are asleep, strobes are not an issue. with away babies, I still use them, but also use a lot of windows light, which works pretty well with f 2.8, or even f4.
for example, these were taken just over the last couple of days with just window light.

24-105

another at 2.8

anyways, many ways to skin a cat, and the all work. the modern cameras, full frame as well as cropped dslr's and the nex and micro 4/3rds are so good, that you can make any of them work. for that matter your 1ds is excellent, except for size and lack of video, esp if you put a couple of primes (I recommend sigma 35 1.4, and canon 85 1.8 if budget allows)
sorry for the long winded write up, just that I have been trough it. as i said in original post, I think 6D would do just fine, though I do recommend a relatively small fast prime.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:12 AM
robsuh
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Wow, excellent pictures Kevin and some nice tips.

For 1-3, do you have a black wall/background?

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:13 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

robsuh wrote:
Wow, excellent pictures Kevin and some nice tips.

For 1-3, do you have a black wall/background?

thank you
I bought a felt cloth, 6x12 feet from a fabric store for about 20 bucks. I just throw it on anything to hold it up (couch etc). I have put it up in the past for full body adult shots. used to set up and bring out my two alienbees, but honestly with the second child, you have much less time. so most of the time its a fast prime and natural light for me these days.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jason.alabama
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Thanks everyone for the advice. The one thing I didn't think of was my wife's ability to use the camera. We do have a couple of P&S cameras, and one m4/3 that she will probably use more than me. My job will be taking photos to blow up for the wall.

Interesting that babies might not wake up with bouncing flash. I might be inclined to keep my current gear and try the flash route. Then when the cameras die (or the little one starts moving), I could upgrade to get video. I do keep my bodies for a while, as I am just a hobbiest and I am not really limited by them (I also bought them well used).

A lot of people have mentioned the new 40mm lens, but as long as I have that covered with the zoom (and am willing to carry it around), I don't see myself using it too much.

A prediction: I haven't posted too much on FM lately, but I am foreseeing a sharp increase in posts in the future.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:44 AM
jason.alabama
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Ralph Conway wrote:
Congratulations, too

I would think the 6D and 40mm would be the right camera/lens combo for a baby. Even I guess it is still to big for a fresh born childs hands. But those kids grow fast ...

I missed this the first time I read it!

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:49 AM
jason.alabama
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

kevindar wrote:
sorry for the long winded write up

No need to say sorry, this detailed response is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Not only a "what would you have me do thread", but also a "what did you do when you were in my situation" thread.

And while you're having a go at it, why not a "what would you do, knowing what you do now" thread.

Thanks,

Jason

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

@ kevindar:
Just excellent! Thank you.

@jason.alabama:
- I did not add a smiley but you got it anyway!

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password