Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

jason.alabama
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Ok, I'll do my best to keep this brief. I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my camera for some time now. My gear: 1Ds/1D combo, both original. My lenses include the 24-70 f2.8 (now mark I) and 70-200 f4 non-IS. I have wanted a more user friendly interface, sensor cleaning, etc. in my camera body. However, up until now I have been able to suffer the incredibly slow buffer rates and horrible ISO as I mostly take pictures at family events, often outside. Plus I have a strobist set-up that I am trying to learn.

What has changed? I now have a baby on the way, expected in a few months. Here's the dilemma, I don't know what to expect. I figure higher ISO would be a major upgrade. My lenses should be fine if I can boost the ISO enough, so I am not in the market for any new lenses. I am guessing that I would want video capability, but haven't had any desire to do video in the past, so it is completely new to me.

I think the 6D would be my best bet, since it has the capability to focus in the near dark, I could boost the ISO, and it has video. Are there other options that would work? I don't know if I could get by with my current set-up for a while, at least until the crawling/moving stage? Would I really take pictures of a sleeping baby, or will I wait until they are awake? Even if they are awake, will the flash bother them? Should I sell my current gear, or keep it?

I know I am the only one to answer some of these questions, but I thought I would see what others would do in my shoes.

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Yes, the 6D would be perfect. You could debate it endlessly but the 6D fits the bill.

Yes, you'll take plenty of sleeping pictures. Flash tends not to be an issue with kids.

The only other thing to consider is burst rate and whether you'd better selling your 1D bodies for a 5D MKIII.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:01 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

First off congrats. I honestly don't remember what my life was like before kids. I am sure I had fun, but I really don't care, those little buggers make everything so much better. To your questions: yes you will take hundreds if not thousands of sleeping baby pictures. Flash doesn't really bother them just don't blast them in the face with it. Bounce it. Obviously budget will be an issue with all the other baby expenses so I'd say a 6d or 5dii would be epic. That being said it looks like you hold onto gear for a while so splurging for the 5diii may be an option. The iq between the three are virtually the same in RAW, but the af on the 5diii is bonkers. If you don't need/want the af then the 6d or 5dii is great. Lastly enjoy it! Everyone tells you they grow up fast, but until you have your own you don't know how true that statement is.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:36 AM
ChrisSeattle

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

6D is perfect and you can keep your current lenses. The silent shutter will be perfect to keep things quiet while baby is sleeping. Also, the video will be good to capture baby's first steps, etc. Congrats!

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:39 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

congrats.
there is no point in focusing in near dark with your lenses, as they are not designed to take pictures in near dark. too slow. However, yes, the 6D is a great camera in every way. coming from two 1d series you need to keep in mind, that you are primarily limited to center focus with recomposing, esp in low light.
the other really nice thing about 6D is the size, as the person most likely to be home taking pictures is your wife, and she is more likely to use the camera if its smaller and less intimidating. I would honestly seriously consider buying the 40 2.8 or 50 1.8, as they are cheap and would really encourage your wife to use the camera over the brick.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:56 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Congrats.....You could read the endless 5d2 vs 6d threads or just flip a coin and go take some pictures already .... I second the 40f2.8 - great lens for $150 and small and would fit into your likely needs well.

On the flash waking baby e.t.c. We took the approach they have to deal with our environment and refused to tip toe around... so flash good, noise around the house good.... I never noticed mine react to flash or whatever.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:28 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

I would just add the 50 1.4 and shoot it wide open or 1.6 you can get some great new looks with your current gear. If you are used to 1D focusing, I don't see going to a system with less points, but I am not an expert. I really really like the focusing on the 5DIII

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Fred Meebley
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

+1
Good advice, the best camera for the job is the one that will get used and not sit on the shelf.
kevindar wrote:
congrats.
there is no point in focusing in near dark with your lenses, as they are not designed to take pictures in near dark. too slow. However, yes, the 6D is a great camera in every way. coming from two 1d series you need to keep in mind, that you are primarily limited to center focus with recomposing, esp in low light.
the other really nice thing about 6D is the size, as the person most likely to be home taking pictures is your wife, and she is more likely to use the camera if its smaller and less intimidating. I would
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM
ardvorak
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

+1

kevindar wrote:
congrats.
the other really nice thing about 6D is the size, as the person most likely to be home taking pictures is your wife, and she is more likely to use the camera if its smaller and less intimidating. I would
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Just get a decent P&S...it will be readily available.....you will hardly be tracking a fast moving object...and will still give decent size prints.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Ideal Camera in canon land : 5DIII. While AF will not be a major issue for the next 3 years or so, given that you keep you gear long term, it would help a lot in toddler years.

Lens wise, I would suggest 35f2 & 135f2/135 f2.8; Or 35 f2 & 85 1.8. Your world is about to change like you never thaught possible ;-)

Hard drive wise: Get a decent 3 TB+ NAS ;-) You will be filling it up

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Congratulations, too

I would think the 6D and 40mm would be the right camera/lens combo for a baby. Even I guess it is still to big for a fresh born childs hands. But those kids grow fast ...

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

thedutt wrote:
Ideal Camera in canon land : 5DIII. While AF will not be a major issue for the next 3 years or so, given that you keep you gear long term, it would help a lot in toddler years.

Why would the 5d3' AF be a major issue after 3 years? Does the 61-point Reticular AF system disintegrates at year 4?
Will human photography skills takes a quantum leap every 3 years?

OP above is using 10 year old 1d and I think the AF system still functions.

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:43 PM
sfcyclist

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

I think a prime would help regardless of which body. Thinking back, I wish I had one... Plenty of great primes to choose from now.

I don't understand the flash comment though.. "Flash tends not to be an issue with kids." In terms of results and disturbs the moments.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

6D with a 2.8 zoom can shoot in ANY light imaginable.
Pixel-peepers won't like the results, but you as a new Dad will.
I have a 10-month old son, and a 2(?) month-old 6D. Before the 6D I had an Olympus OM-D, and before that, a Nikon D7000. The D7000 was there for his birth and first few months, and it did great... but the 6D does EVERYTHING better!

I can't think of a better DSLR for pictures of a new baby. 6D/5DIII can handle any lighting situation you'll encounter, shoot high quality video if you want, and are not huge bricks like a 1series.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Buy a camera that your wife likes as much as you do. A Sony NEX or one of the advanced m43 models (OM-D e.g) are much more what I would buy. The articulated screens of those models are invaluable for shots of your kids while playing on the ground. The NEX and m43's make great video, and they are much more compact, which is a great bonus if you go out with your kid in the stroller or visit family and friends when the big camera can be intimidating as well. Another compact solution, which I find hard to recommend however, is the EOS-M even though it gives EOSfun The only advantage I see is you could integrate this camera within your current system. OTOH it doesn't have the the articulated screen and quite a few other features that the Sony NEX or m43 cameras offer at a more competitive price. Seriously give the Sony NEXes and Olympus OM-D some attention. As much as I like the Canon EOS-es I would think twice and give the idea of an additional compact (but high quality!) 'family' camera a thought.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

the OM-D was a GREAT baby camera, I'll admit- what with the small size, ease of use, and super fast face-detect AF...
but the battery life sucked, and the pictures (with PL 25/1.4) didn't have as nice of a look as a 6D with even a 2.8....

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Ghost wrote:
Why would the 5d3' AF be a major issue after 3 years? Does the 61-point Reticular AF system disintegrates at year 4?
Will human photography skills takes a quantum leap every 3 years?

OP above is using 10 year old 1d and I think the AF system still functions.

I think he meant that the OP will be okay with the more limited AF in the 6D for another three years until the kid starts running around; after that the better AF ssystem in the 5DIII will be helpful.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Jason -- Congrats on the baby!

I didn't take many sleeping baby pics -- mostly in the car seat in transport. It was film back then, anyway, 1989-1992. Some yes, where especially young, but after that, it's awake expressions.

You've got a good choice there with the 6D. Super quality pictures and years of fun for all sorts of subjects.

The suggestion of a small camera is a good one too. I like the ease and heft of the G-series. I have a G10, but the newer G12 or latest G15 would be awesome. More money, but the Sony RX100 would be impressive as a point and shoot. But I really like the G10 over the M43 cameras (I have two, but the controls are always under thumb and making unexpected changes). The S-series is just too tiny for me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera upgrade suggestions for new baby?

Something that's splash proof; you never know when the sneaky little buggers will spray you with ectoplasm.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password