FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Frank_Maiello
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

sandycrane wrote:
If I could only bring one lens it would be attached to a RX100. Anyone who limits himself to one lens in Italy is a fool.

There’s nothing foolish about carrying less so that one can better enjoy the experience of being in a foreign land. I’ve taken many trips to Europe and come home with thousands of photographs, but it’s my memories of firsthand experience with people, places, and all five of my senses that have proved most valuable and long-lasting.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

i would take a D800 with a 14-24 f/2.8 or a 14 f/2.8.

plenty of pixels to crop. ultra wide when you need it. f/2.8 for low light.

grant

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

i was in Italy last July. I went through the same decision process and ended up taking a 14-24, 24-70 and a couple of zeiss primes. The output was totally worth the effort.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Frank_Maiello wrote:
There’s nothing foolish about carrying less so that one can better enjoy the experience of being in a foreign land. I’ve taken many trips to Europe and come home with thousands of photographs, but it’s my memories of firsthand experience with people, places, and all five of my senses that have proved most valuable and long-lasting.

On how many of your trips did you only bring one lens?
I can see this as an intellectual exercise, etc. etc. But, really... would you advise someone to visit Italy with the photographic limitation of one lens?
If so, for ease of carry, I'll go with my first recommendation.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

sandycrane wrote:
On how many of your trips did you only bring one lens?
I can see this as an intellectual exercise, etc. etc. But, really... would you advise someone to visit Italy with the photographic limitation of one lens?
If so, for ease of carry, I'll go with my first recommendation.

Well none of course! You got me there

I wouldn't advise carrying only one lens, but I don't think it's necessarily foolish, that's all. Simplification can be a wonderful relief from burden.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

The important thing to ask here is is it a photography trip, or a vacation?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Frank_Maiello wrote:
Well none of course! You got me there

I wouldn't advise carrying only one lens, but I don't think it's necessarily foolish, that's all. Simplification can be a wonderful relief from burden.

Frank,
Well, yes. For me, on my last trip, simplification meant taking two bodies so I wouldn't have to be swapping lenses every other photo.
My rude response to the OP was a gut reaction to what I thought was a gratuitous question in a photography forum.
When I travel to a place like Rome I see it as a challenge to recreate in my camera what I see with my eyes. Nothing more and nothing less. At the same time my camera challenges me to not miss a single vista or detail.
These two photos were taken at the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. You can see the semi dome in the background of the wide angle shot. I can't decide which of these views I would be willing to leave behind.
Sandy.

Nikon D700 14-24/2.8

Canon 40D 24-105/4

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:10 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

The 24-120/4 VR

Nijay wrote:
If you could chose one, and only one, FX lens for Italy, what would it be? Budget be damned.

More specifics... I'll be visiting the Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi, and Tuscan countryside. Shooting a D700.

I'm leaning towards the 17-35mm but I'm quite tempted to splurge on the 14-24mm. My concern is 24mm won't be enough zoom but the ridiculous IQ for the churches and landscapes is tough to pass up. 24-70mm is also in the running but the weight and lack of UWA are drawbacks there.

Typically I shoot primes but I'm feeling the convenience of a zoom is tough to pass
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Danner
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

35/f1.4G.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

sandycrane wrote:
These two photos were taken at the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. You can see the semi dome in the background of the wide angle shot. I can't decide which of these views I would be willing to leave behind.
Sandy.

No offense intended, but me personally, I could leave both of those views behind. They are not really my type of photography. I don't mind looking at other peoples photos like these, but they are not really something I would take myself. I just don't get any personal enjoyment out of looking at them later.

My point of course, is that everyone is different. I could do Italy with a 35mm or a 50mm and be comfortable that I didn't miss anything and I don't think I would be a fool for it. To me, the only thing worse than having too few lenses is having too many. It is stifling.

Dylan

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Have more kids, wait for them to grow up enough, stick a lens in each of their backpacks. Voila... a more flexible camera kit, courtesy of your own genetically-engineered Sherpas. That gets you a 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, and a 24/1.4, plus a couple of speedlights.

For now, I'd take the 16-35/4 VR if I could really only take one lens. But ideally, I'd bring at least two: 16-35/4, and 70-200/4. Each on their own body for convenience, but also so I have a backup body.

If it's truly a family vacation, then I might stick to taking only the Nikon 1 system. Beats my old D200 in every conceivable performance metric -- though it's certainly less convenient in terms of controls, buttons, and settings -- and that old D200 took some amazing shots.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:11 PM
knower
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

On the D700 I'd bring the 28-300.
This lens is underestimated, but is a great lens. Super versatile.
You won't miss a single picture with it.

16-35f4 is great, I use it all the time, but is quite short for other things.
Italy has a lot of details not only wide framing.
I second the 16-35f4 and 70-200f4, but one single lens, for me, would be the 28-300.

Btw, I am from Italy, left it few years ago.

Ciao!
G.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:17 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

DTOB wrote:
No offense intended, but me personally, I could leave both of those views behind. They are not really my type of photography. I don't mind looking at other peoples photos like these, but they are not really something I would take myself. I just don't get any personal enjoyment out of looking at them later.

My point of course, is that everyone is different. I could do Italy with a 35mm or a 50mm and be comfortable that I didn't miss anything and I don't think I would be a fool for it. To me, the only thing worse than having
...Show more

I understand completely. I'm the same way with "street" photography. Most examples seem pretty arbitrary to me.
Sandy.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:35 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

sandycrane wrote:
I understand completely. I'm the same way with "street" photography. Most examples seem pretty arbitrary to me.
Sandy.

Funny you should say that. My preference is for street photography, and I completely agree with you and very much appreciate your use of the word "arbitrary". It is quite fitting.

Dylan

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Nijay
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

sandycrane wrote:
If I could only bring one lens it would be attached to a RX100. Anyone who limits himself to one lens in Italy is a fool.

I'm not taking only one lens but I am planning on only taking one lens per outing. I posed my question this way b/c I damn well felt like it. Sorry it upset your gut.

This is a vacation first and foremost. I don't plan on taking a gazillion pictures of things that a gazillion other people have taken a gazillion photos of (many of which are far better than anything I could do).

I think I'll add one of the UWAs (Rome) to my 85mm (Tuscany) and bring that. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Nijay wrote:
I'm not taking only one lens but I am planning on only taking one lens per outing. I posed my question this way b/c I damn well felt like it. Sorry it upset your gut.

This is a vacation first and foremost. I don't plan on taking a gazillion pictures of things that a gazillion other people have taken a gazillion photos of (many of which are far better than anything I could do).

I think I'll add one of the UWAs (Rome) to my 85mm (Tuscany) and bring that. Thanks everyone for the advice!

You're no fool.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:25 AM
sjprintz

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I was in Italy a few summers ago and used on my D300 the 17-55mm for 90% of my shots. I also had a 10-24mm but only used it a couple of times. I had no need to go longer, btw.

Ideally, you should bring a fast lens for the indoor church shots but you need to balance the extra lens against the weight and safety factor. What I mean by the latter, is that you must be mindful of your belongings and putting down lenses and such and changing them makes you a target for a pickpocket.

In sum, I think the single best FX lens would be the 24-70mm or 24-120mm. Next would be the 24-85mm (which is quite light but not as fast as the others). It's a great country and you will have a wonderful vacation. Don't forget to try lots of different foods and wine!

SJP

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Tehboogyman

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Astragony wrote:
I live in Italy, you will enjoy an ultrawide very often.
I say go 16-35 vr (I love mine to death).

I also live here and I agree with ^him^. 16-17mm is wide enough though, no need to go crazy.

Some 17mm shots.(I live in Pisa)

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:37 PM
stevenvh
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

A lot of good and worthy advise here.
I've worked internationally for over a decade and these days the one lens that always goes is the 24-120/4. It does everything well, is plenty wide enough for travel and focuses well even indoors on my D700. It is something of a beast, but it's worth it.
I also pack a fast 50, fast wide (35/2 or 28/2 MF), an Ai-S 200/4 and a modified TC-16.
So with a relatively small kit I cover 24-300mm and all with very good IQ.

cheers and enjoy Italy,
Steven

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

My wife and I were in Rome, Florence, and various cities in Umbria last spring. Our main agenda was painting, but we did take a minimalist (for us) camera setup comprising a D800, 24-70 f/2.8, and a µ4/3d kit comprising a GH2, 7-14 f/4, and 14-140. If there was one lens I wished I had brought with me for the Nikon, it was the 14-24. My wife was getting some great images with the 7-14, but we often found ourselves struggling to keep our shutter speeds low enough.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:51 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.