p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backlit tree

Not a lot of drama, just a study.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8387688949_206af986bd_c.jpg

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backlit tree

It was a very creative choice of subject, lighting and composition given the format of the camera, but a case where the camera crop isn't the best one to deliver the message. Square crops often work better than rectangular for centered compositions.

In terms of lighting and composition there's an interest symmetry between the vines on the two sides divided in ying/yang fashion by the differences in the lighting and the trunk in the center dividing them. But I find the strong vertical leading line of the tree strongly pulls my eye up making, working against making the pattern connection and symmetry between the vines.

What would help prevent the up the trunk eye movement and better connect the two sides is a square crop. Since the fork of the branch also works against symmetry I'd suggest making the square crop just under it. That way the eye will not be pulled up as strongly and instead will be more likely to ping-pong sideways matching eye movement sensation to the ying-yang, follow-the-ball-in-tennis-match linear dynamic created with the lighting

Also since the essence of the message is in the vines, not the tree you should rethink your decision to sharpen the tree (very much over sharpened actually). I'd suggest just the opposite. Keep the focal points, the vines, sharp but blur the tree trunk. Not so much that it's obvious but enough so there's stronger detail contrast in the vines from both the Bokeh in the background.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.